Essential James Carr
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£24.90+£1.26shipping

on 27 January 2000
This is one hell of a CD! If you like Otis, you'll love James Carr. With a style that provides the bridge between Otis Redding and Al Green, James makes all of these songs sound like mini-tragedies.
Although uneven at times (James used to sit for hours in the studio unable to sing for reasons known only to himself and then stand up and sing a track through perfectly in one take), this CD has tracks that are up there with some of the greatest vocal performances of all time - listen to "To Love Somebody", and see if you don't feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. At times thrillingly intense (Love Attack), James Carr can also be achingly gentle (listen to the ghostly vocals on "What Can I Call My Own?" and "Forgetting You").
If you have ever even thought about Southern Soul then you should buy this album, along with Otis' "Otis Blue", James Brown's "Live at the Apollo 1962" and Aretha's "Best of.." (any best of!).
Oh yeah, this CD's also the original (and still the best) version of "Dark End of the Street". What are you waiting for?
ps. anyone got any southern soul tracks out there they want to share - email me!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again