Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£12.83+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 11 June 2001
This album has been in the catalogue for a long time now and deservedly so. Cleo goes to the heart of the material and understands that the best way to interpret it is to simply sing what Sondheim has written without gilding the lily with superfluous " interpretation". Jonathan tunick's orchestration stay very close to the originals - mostly his anyway. The whole allbum is beautifully recorded and presented. Fans of Cleo and Sondheim should have this in their collections already. Anyone who feels a bit shy of the material or of the performer shouldn't hesitate. The songs are tuneful with witty lyrics and the performances match them to perfection.
on 11 May 2014
This is a magical combination of the genius of the greatest composer/lyricist in modern musical theatre and the unique warmth and skill of one of Britain's outstanding singers of the last 40 years. The selection of titles is inspired and the arrangements are all perfectly suited to the material. I cannot recommend this CD too highly; every time I listen to it, it brings a broad smile to my face.
on 13 March 2015
Fabulous songs, wonderfully interpreted by Cleo Laine. I purchased this album on tape many years ago but really wanted to own it on a CD. I wrongly assumed it would be impossible to find a copy after so long. I was therefore delighted to find a supplier in the USA. It took longer to arrive than my normal Amazon orders but was well worth the wait.
on 26 July 2013
Cleo could sing a shopping list and it would sound brilliant (and Stephen Sondheim would write a great one for her I'm sure). I have had this album on vinyl for many, many years - I'm so pleased to now have a much more accessible (mp3) version to listen to too.
on 9 December 2015
Asuperb recording. Immaculate diction, wonderful vocal range and brilliant characterization by Cleo who alternates ballads with contrasting witty patter songs by a modern master. Couldn't be better. Will treasure this one.
on 30 December 2015
Excellent service for one of the great recordings - Dame Cleo and Sondheim are an unbeatable combination, and this replaces a cassette after many years,
on 30 September 2013
This is an exceptional combination of two people at the peak of their tallent - have recommend it to everyone
on 25 July 2015
How did i ever miss this when it came out? I just got a used copy via Amazon and it's the best CD I ever bought! I have many, too! Cleo is a joy to listen to. She tackles Sondheim's challenging texts in a superb way and she is a great advocate for his very "American" humour and self-mockery.
I hope and trust that someone will soon reissue this wonderful disc. And just listen to Jonathan Tunick's fabulous arrangements and musicians. Enough said.