4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best live albums
Published on 23 Feb. 2009 by Jl Adcock

3.0 out of 5 stars Paul McCartney - "Tripping The Live Fantastic"
Published 1 month ago by Jose Henrique

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best live albums, 23 Feb. 2009
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tripping The Live Fantastic (Audio CD)
You can't take it away from Macca that he delivers value for money on tour. This double-album snapshot of him touring on the back of the "Flowers in the Dirt" album from 1989 sees him and his band on top form. Cranking out a huge list of titles from Beatles days, Wings, solo material and a few rock classics, you can hear the joy from the audience and the performers.

So may live albums disappoint, or add little to the catalogue of various artists. This isn't one of them - and certainly in my view is superior to the more recent "Back in the World Again" live double-album.

The full-double album of Tripping The Live Fantastic is better value than the highlights single disc version - ending as it does with a lovely version of "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying". Live music captured on CD at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!, 26 April 2001
By A Customer
This album is magic. My Dad bought it almost ten years ago and even know I could still listen to it again and again. It has the most ridiculous version of Sgt. Pepper you will ever hear..! It also has the best guitar solo on 'The Long and Winding Road'. I love it dearly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lively, upbeat and a rare gem!, 16 July 2008
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tripping The Live Fantastic (Audio CD)
This is one of Paul McCartneys forgotten and overlooked album. So much energy from his World tour from the late 1980's which is not replicated in any other album. A number of McCartney and old Beatle songs are palyed a hi temp with some great guitar. Nice album to have in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite live albums ever, 7 Jun. 2013
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When I was fifteen years old, I was crazy about The Beatles (actually, I still am, but in a much more placid, adult way). However, my knowledge of their music was fairly incomplete as I had yet to hear every single Beatles album and, as far as solo albums went, I had only heard Paul McCartney's 1987 compilation, "All The Best" and John Lennon's early best of, "Shaved Fish", plus "Double Fantasy", all albums owned by my parents. At this point in my life, I had yet to hear Abbey Road in its entirety or, indeed, The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album). During a school assembly, my teacher played an incredible song which I didn't recognise but was unmistakeably Paul. I asked him afterwards at it turned out to be "We Got Married" from the "Flowers In The Dirt" album and, naturally, I wanted it. He played several tracks from the same album over the following weeks, which only whetted my appetite for owning it.

Of course, being a penniless teenager, I couldn't afford to go out and buy any music, so the only thing I could do was to, when asked what I'd like for my birthday, plead for Paul McCartney's latest album. My Nana dutifully obliged, but when I tore open the wrapper off the cassette (remember them?), instead of his 1989 studio album, there was "Tripping The Live Fantastic... Highlights!". I was so disappointed (but I hid it well, naturally) as my Nana explained that the 'man in the shop' had told her that it was the latest album and that it was very good. Reluctantly, and ready for more disappointment, I put it in my Walkman during my next commute to school and pressed play. Unbelievably, I was absolutely blown away by it. I don't think it left my cassette player much for several months.

This was the very first time I'd heard "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End" and it was an absolute revelation to me. The "Flowers In The Dirt" tracks were performed superbly, there were excellent re-inventions of songs I knew well such as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" which featured a fantastic guitar solo in the middle of it, "Coming Up", which had a completely different rhythm and contemporary break in it, "Things We Said Today" finished with an absolutely beautiful guitar solo which then led into "Eleanor Rigby" - the highlights were so plentiful and the Beatles' music seemed so urgent, vital and alive. All of sudden, it was no longer "old" music, it was something from here and now. Paul's excellent band seemed to have a great character to them, Macca himself was in absolutely sensational form, vocally, and hearing this brilliant live album acted as the catalyst for my near-obsession with McCartney and The Beatles thereafter. Oddly enough, when I finally got round to buying the full version of the album, I felt that it lacked the punch of the edited "Highlights!" and if I want to listen to it these days, I still tend to opt for the single disc edition. Naturally, I replaced my worn-out cassette format with a CD quite a number of years ago and was pleased to discover that I still got the same pleasure listening to it a couple of decades later as I did as a fresh-eared teenager.

Of course, now, as a McCartney fan over twenty years later, I fully realise why fans may have been annoyed with this release at the time, as the UK version of the single disc "Highlights!" is the only way you could get hold of Paul's version of "All My Trials" (unless you had the single), meaning that McCartney completists had to buy the full and abridged versions of the live album which many people, understandably, found to be a little bit rich. However, for both musical and sentimental reasons, I can't fault this album at all. Knowing that it has played such a pivotal role in opening my mind to Paul's catalogue, all I can do when I listen to it is to sit with a smile on my face, a swelling of emotion in my heart and enjoy everything this great album means to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent live album, 17 Oct. 2013
Jan Patrik Sahlstrøm (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent live album by McCartney. Good mixture of songs from all stages of his career. If you want a McCartney live album, this is the best one in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, live piece for all Beatle fans, 8 Dec. 2000
The Album contains from start to finish, a wide variety of classic Beatle tracks to suit every mood. The album begins with excellent tracks such as "Got to get you into my life" and "Birthday" creating an up-beat, happy feel to the compilation. The live album, aptly named "highlights" also covers more of the classic, sombre tracks familiar to Paul MacCartney's career with the Beatles, with songs such as "Eleanor Rigby" and "The long and Winding Road". All in all, an atmospheric, timeless piece!

3.0 out of 5 stars Paul McCartney - "Tripping The Live Fantastic", 11 April 2015
This review is from: Tripping The Live Fantastic (Audio CD)
This double CD has a good repertoire, but not exceptional. It is an album with tracks recorded in different locations of the tour and easily perceive yourself assembly. There are successes of the era of the Beatles, the beginning of Paul's solo career and also tracks already disco era (1980-1990). It is not exciting, for example, as "Paul is Live." Lacked excitement, but is technically good. Goes for anyone who is a fan. Note 6.5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tripping over myself to listen to this again., 19 Sept. 2008
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am finding it hard to give a rating to this CD as it deserves 5* for being so brilliant but 3* because it's just an abridged version of the Tripping The Live Fantastic album (look on here for it and see the full tracklisting).

Does a live album really need a best-of? It's an interesting concept, and this is the only example of it I can see. I adore Paul McCartney but do not have and will not buy this, simply because I see it as unnecessary. For McCartney completists only.

Having said that, it is a great summary of his 1989/1990 live shows and it does have some of the best song he did on that tour.

Highlights of this highlights album, for me, are:

The phenomenal version of Sgt Peppers with the guitar middle section
All My Trials (a rare Macca song, which I actually see is not included on the other Tripping album, and in fact is only otherwise available on ltd edition CD singles)
Coming Up
Things We Said Today
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight
My Brave Face

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, live piece for all Beatle fans, 8 Dec. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 17 May 2015
This review is from: Tripping The Live Fantastic (Audio CD)
Love it but then i like all things McCartney.

Tripping The Live Fantastic
Tripping The Live Fantastic by Paul McCartney (Audio CD - 1990)