5.0 out of 5 stars magical, mature reflection
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by Sentinel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best but some excellent moments
This album has a few too many average tracks for my liking, but there are some real highs such as "The Way That it Shows" and Bee's Wing". The guitar work is really superb, as ever.
Published on 15 Mar 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, mature reflection, 20 Oct 2009
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
For me, this is one of Richard's most satisfying albums. The musicianship and production values are of a high order, but the real bonus here is the number of strong memorable tracks. Melodically and lyrically he moves through the rueful introspection of 'Easy There,Steady Now' where he compares a truck crash to his own response to the end of a relationship "lost my grip too, for a while", yet the cynicism of 'Way That It Shows' is also tempered with a compassionate undertone to the tale of a woman's desperation to disguise her fading looks.
The 'King of Bohemia' must be one of his finest, gentlest love songs, and the personal nature of his subject (his son) shines through this oblique, mythic tale. 'Ride in your Slipstream' is another take on the thorny subject of relationships and the difficulties we make for ourselves, while 'Beeswing' is a modern folk classic, yearningly wistful, about the way our need to retain what is precious, may destroy it. Melodies throughout worm their way into your memory, as do some of his finest lyrics.
Buy this album and listen to it on your own, and see what ghosts it conjures up. If you find this too threatening, focus instead on the wisdom and compassion which threads its way through the regret, and feel richer for the experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outliving the reviewers, 16 May 2004
Geoff Batchelor (Baildon, W Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
Mirror Blue initially got fairly weak reviews (though only by Thompson's stellar standards) when released: time has proved the critics wrong. Adventurous, erudite and challenging. Full of great songs, Beeswing is the most famous, but King of Bohemia and Taking My Business Elsewhere are other highlights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great songwriting, great guitar playing, 29 Jan 2000
D. S. Smith "duncanssmith" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
A hard driving collection of songs demonstrating Richard Thompson's great skill as a songwriter and guitarist. The album has a melacholic feel overall, and there are some lovely ballads, with a strong folk undercurrent, but the songs where Thompson unleashes his wonderfully powerful yet well controlled guitar are awesome. A great record.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy there, Steady now, it,s only another great Thompson Album., 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
It is just insane that Thompson keeps on releasing great album after great album, I've still got loads to buy!
At the moment I'm concentrating on his music from the 90's, which defiantly seems to be a purple patch in his career; & a good place to jump on board if you're new to his music.
It would be interesting to ponder, if Thompson had become a multi-million selling artist, whether the quality of his music would have diminished.
Oh well, on to the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars What have I been missing?, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
I lost track of Richard Thompson's music when he parted company with Fairport Convention but often thought I ought to give it a listen one day, So I read a few reviews and bought Mirror Blue. On first listening I quite liked it but then it grew and grew and grew on me and I found myself listening more and more. The variety of styles, the intelligent sometimes dark lyrics and the level of musicianship produce an album which is without a duff track. If you're wondering, like me, I suggest you buy it. I obviously now have to buy more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mirror Blue by Richard Thompson, 23 May 2013
P. R. Phillips (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
I bought this album after listening to "The Best Of The Capitol Years". I preferred "Tudor" and "You Me Us" though, also represented on "The Best Of..." but had to listen to the other tracks. When you hear Richard's electric guitar you want more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suberb album, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
One of the best albums Richard Thompson has produced.The songs are of suberb quality as we have come to expect from this master of the singer songwriter genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluesy Music ...., 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mirror Blue (MP3 Download)
Richard Thompson is a new, 'solo' artist to us - altho' we know Fairport Convention well - We love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A high water mark and a good starting point for those unfamiliar with Richard Thompson, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
Mirror Blue combines all that fans of Richard Thompson have come to expect - top rate musicianship, stories involving a role call of characters or situations you might recognise, folk-tinged songs and others with more of a rock music feel - and gels them together into what, for me, is the best album he's made. I think it's more immediately accessible than others and I strongly recommend it to those unfamiliar with, or wishing to get to know, Richard Thompson's music; of course, there's much to reward repeated listening to it as well.

At the time of release, the critics gave this a lukewarm reception; perhaps expecting another album with songs akin to the radio-friendly tunes on Rumor and Sigh (another good starting point for those unfamiliar), they weren't keen on an album of songs written by a man in his middle years telling tales of relationships gone wrong, star-crossed lovers, waiting for a date who doesn't arrive and (just to complete an odd set of topics) the restoration of a vintage MGB-GT. More fool them; these songs didn't sound like much else then and so they still sound fresh today. There are quiet songs of late night regret and songs that you really should play a little louder. One of each type - the mature, reflective King of Bohemia and the driving, rather sinister I Ride in Your Slipstream - are my personal favourites but other songs identified as highlights by reviewers here show just what a strong set this is.

So I strongly recommend this album both for the initiated and for those yet to poke a toe into the water; it's well worth getting to know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, but ......., 11 Nov 2004
H. Popeck "bigaitch" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror Blue (Audio CD)
Variable quality - but shot through with brilliance e.g "Beeswing" - worth the price of admission on its own. Sounds like he was being pulled away from his natural path, but only temporarily.

Mirror Blue
Mirror Blue by Richard Thompson (Audio CD - 1994)