5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Classic, 11 Mar 2004
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it came out and it has stood the test of time amazingly well. Not only is it still utterly superb to listen to but I continue to use it as a reference disc when looking for new hi-fi. It is very well recorded with a particularly strong and gorgeously textured bass line (important to me as a bass player). I can't recommend this album highly enough, but please don't go by the 'through-a-sock' recordings above - they do it no justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb pop music album, 1 Jan 2008
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite records form the 90s and it has stood the test of time well. Tasmin Archer and her excellent, rocky band deliver a set of 11 brilliant, catchy pop tunes. It is a stunning debut album, displaying all the maturity of an artist well into their record producing career. It won great accolades at the time and deservedly so. It sounds as good today as it did then.

Unfortunately, the follow up "Bloom" lacked the same spontaneity and catchiness and the band's playing on that second album was not as enthralling - I was disappointed with it and lost touch with her after that.

"Great Expectations", however, is still well worth seeking out - difficult to select a favourite tune from it as they are all so good, but "Sleeping Satellite", "The Higher You Climb" and Somebody's Daughter" would be vying for my top spot.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just a sleeping satelite, 6 Feb 2001
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
This album has really suprised me, I bought it only remembering the hit Sleeping Satelite but now that song is outshone by a great number of the others. I paticularly like the songs "Hero", "Ripped Inside", "When It Comes Don To It" and the shocking yet thought provoking "In Your Care". There are songs here for everyone.... full of angst and tranquility alike......buy it and you will be pleasantly suprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice Album., 5 April 2010
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I had a rule years ago that if an Artist or Band released more than two Singles from the same Album that I liked - then I would buy that Album. This was from a time (1992/3) when music was really deteriorating (and has never really picked up since), yet I liked Tasmin Archer's Singles. Granted that records were then getting rather higher than they would have done in the Charts just a few years before, (this was due to sales being down - and music competition poor) but she had a Number One: 'Sleeping Satellite' (featured here on this Album) and several more Top 40 Singles. Actually; I preferred one of the follow-ups to the Number One which did the least Chart-wise; 'Arienne' - reaching only Number thirty.

This is a 'nice' Album - whatever happened to her? Well; she made a follow-up to this some three years later called: 'Bloom' which in my opinion is probably even better than this - but it hardly received any publicity at all...

Check it out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ace Album, 11 Aug 2006
J. McBride "J'Adore Music" (Colwyn Bay, Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
The Album is very good adn the songs on it are all equally as good as each other. I bought it simply because i like the song sleeping satellite and i was suprised at the high quality of the rest of the album. Excellent Lyrics Throughout

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrienne? Keep it to yourself., 29 April 2004
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
It's a good album. Songs like Sleeping Sattelite and Somebody's Daughterreally hold the album together, although if there were one song that Iwere to avoid, it would be Arrienne. Still, well worth a flutter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping Satellite - Great album, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (MP3 Download)
Decided to buy after my vinyl lp got scratched, and couldn't play anymore. Great album, sounds so good after so many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
Expect greatness and get it. A rare voice from a singer who can sing and write great songs. good choice

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you follow THAT single?, 2 Aug 2013
N. Massey (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
I'm sure i'm not alone in remembering (and loving) Sleeping Satellite but knowing little else of their material, so one day when I found myself singing that great tune to myself, I made an impulsive purchase of the album from Amazon. I'm glad I did because the whole album is of similar quality and I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds Expectations, 4 Jan 2012
Polly Potter (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Great Expectations (Audio CD)
I bought this back in the day,on cassette tape which we played so much in the car that the tape stretched and snapped .. and I forgot about Tasmin and her amazing voice. The second album wasn't on a par ... but "Great Expectations" doesn't have a weak track; each and every one is a delight. A sudden gust of nostalgia made me buy CDs of some of the albums I loved - Annie Lennox, The Corrs - and Tasmin Archer was high up there in my hit list. And it's stood the test of time. I am still moved to tears by her lyrics,and "Somebody's Daughter" is still,to my mind, one of the great rock ballads of our time. Buy it. You won't regret it.

ARRAY(0xaa5a67c8)

Great Expectations
Great Expectations by Tasmin Archer (Audio CD - 1992)