5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant experience
Excellent & underrated. I would recommend this to any Rick Wright or Floyd enthusiast. Great guitar work from Tim Renwick - an old Floyd supporting musician. Pity my Broken China came in a broken case! Or was that just a Floydian slip?
Published on 7 Aug 2011 by Peter Stubbs

Peter Stubbs (New Zealand) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 6 July 2009
P. Pagin (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
As a lifelong Floyd fan I was aware that Rick Wright had done a couple of solo albums but had always viewed the solo material as sub-standard to the collective works. However following the sad death of Rick last year I have been gradually completing my collection of all things Floydian and Broken China was next on the list.

At first listen it all felt a little bland and self indulgent and the vocals were pretty ropey in parts. However after persevering I feel that this album captures much of Floyds grandeur and pastoral influences and is testimony to Ricks important contribution to many of their seminal works.

It is a very gentle album with none of the ire of Roger Waters lyrics or soaring guitar solos of David Guilmour but its subtle rythmms and jazz inluences are reassuringly soothing.

Not a classic by any means but definitely worth a listen and one to chill out to.

God bless you Rick. Thanks for the memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and Relaxing, 15 May 2008
I. H. C. Mellor "mihcm" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Best known as a member of Pink Floyd and more recently seen in concert with David Gilmore I was expecting this album to have undertones of Pink Floyd and I was not disappointed. There are the trademark sound effects and haunting instrumentals and of course Richard's vocals, which are very similar to David Gilmore's (they both have a similar style of singing).

I enjoy this album very much, very relaxing to listen to with no sudden surprises. I appreciate the experimentation with the instrumental sounds, somthing that Pink Floyd were so good at. The tracks flow well together and the vocal of Sinead O'Connor adds an extra bonus. A well crafted album.

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult listen, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
I haven't been able to listen to this more than twice yet, as I found it too bleak overall. I may well come back to it in a few month's time. There are some good moments that cropped up which will take me back to it, but initial impressions were that it was a bit too dark or miserable for the mood I was in at the time. Don't expect anything like "Summer '68" or "The Great Gig In The Sky".

5.0 out of 5 stars Broken China by Richard Wright, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
The more I play it the more I like it , Broken China is a must for any floyd fan or collector . Richard was a brilliant musician and a big driving force with Floyd , he had his grass roots in floyd and it shows in the album ,There are other brilliant musicians in there also like Tim Renwick to name just one but there are others without me going through the list , some great music in this album ,the more you listen to it the more you hear , music is a personal thing I like it , hope you do .

5.0 out of 5 stars Floydian memories, 13 Sep 2002
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Rick Wright has been able to capture a the eerie mood of the earlier Floyd on this album. Though not Floyd it brings back memories of albums like Meddle. Rick's collaboration with Sinead O'Connor on especially the last track of the album is of an almost unhuman nature, this will certainly do (free interpretation of the porsecutor's line The Wall). Listen and judge for yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars omg, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
being a floyd fan i gave this a chance only one or two good tracks the rest is supermarket music

5.0 out of 5 stars CD, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
A brilliant CD if you like Pink Floyd, this is very reminiscent of early Floyd and has some lovely tracks on it. A definite for Floyd fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars top postman, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Yes brilliant delivery by Royal Mail them postman are champions the album's ok not good as he's other album more floydian

4.0 out of 5 stars Rick Wright, 26 Feb 2014
A. J. Harknett (london,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Of Pink Floyd , sadly passed away but not forgotten , I haven't listened to any of Ricks solo releases but saw this on amazon so thought I'd give it a try and glad I did . I like it enough to recommend it but his best work is within Pink Floyd in my opinion , recording is of good quality.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Broken China
Broken China by Richard Wright (Audio CD - 1996)