4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good
As a lifelong Floyd fan I was aware that Rick Wright had done a couple of solo albums but had always viewed the solo material as sub-standard to the collective works. However following the sad death of Rick last year I have been gradually completing my collection of all things Floydian and Broken China was next on the list.

At first listen it all felt a little...
Published on 6 July 2009 by P. Pagin

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult listen
Published 23 months ago by Smot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 6 July 2009
P. Pagin (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)

At first listen it all felt a little bland and self indulgent and the vocals were pretty ropey in parts. However after persevering I feel that this album captures much of Floyds grandeur and pastoral influences and is testimony to Ricks important contribution to many of their seminal works.

It is a very gentle album with none of the ire of Roger Waters lyrics or soaring guitar solos of David Guilmour but its subtle rythmms and jazz inluences are reassuringly soothing.

Not a classic by any means but definitely worth a listen and one to chill out to.

God bless you Rick. Thanks for the memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and Relaxing, 15 May 2008
I. H. C. Mellor "mihcm" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Best known as a member of Pink Floyd and more recently seen in concert with David Gilmore I was expecting this album to have undertones of Pink Floyd and I was not disappointed. There are the trademark sound effects and haunting instrumentals and of course Richard's vocals, which are very similar to David Gilmore's (they both have a similar style of singing).

I enjoy this album very much, very relaxing to listen to with no sudden surprises. I appreciate the experimentation with the instrumental sounds, somthing that Pink Floyd were so good at. The tracks flow well together and the vocal of Sinead O'Connor adds an extra bonus. A well crafted album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant experience, 7 Aug. 2011
Peter Stubbs (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Excellent & underrated. I would recommend this to any Rick Wright or Floyd enthusiast. Great guitar work from Tim Renwick - an old Floyd supporting musician. Pity my Broken China came in a broken case! Or was that just a Floydian slip?

5.0 out of 5 stars Broken China by Richard Wright, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
The more I play it the more I like it , Broken China is a must for any floyd fan or collector . Richard was a brilliant musician and a big driving force with Floyd , he had his grass roots in floyd and it shows in the album ,There are other brilliant musicians in there also like Tim Renwick to name just one but there are others without me going through the list , some great music in this album ,the more you listen to it the more you hear , music is a personal thing I like it , hope you do .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good music is just good music, 29 May 2015
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Good music is just good music. And this is.
Sometimes time goes by and we forget to look back, or we move past things that we think are not quite up to scratch as we're absorbed in something else. This album is like that. PF were a great band, wrote some great music and generally dominated a genre for many years. Broken China came and went, I had a copy on vinyl, something happened to it, can't even remember how many listens I gave it. So I bought this as a reminder to myself that good music is always good, regardless of the passing of time.
This is an honest album, it really feels like a personal record penned by a man who needed an outlet for his creativity that he just wasn't getting with the monster he was mostly associated with. The songs are simple, well put together, with touching vocals. There are some good musicians on the album, and it just feels right. (pun?)
You get a feel for where Mr Wright's influence lay within PF, as well as a glimpse at where he was frustrated with his ideas.
In places this inevitably sounds a bit PF, but never in a bad way. Rick Wright was an integral part of PF.
I like this album for its quiet surety. No flash, no shouting about ability, history, 'heritage', or anything other than good music.
It stands the test of time. Well worth a listen if you like the lighter side of song-writing and don't mind the odd PF reference.
Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
All about Pink Floyd is wonderful ! Rick Wright's music it's a probe for it. Listen and enjoy it !

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult listen, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
I haven't been able to listen to this more than twice yet, as I found it too bleak overall. I may well come back to it in a few month's time. There are some good moments that cropped up which will take me back to it, but initial impressions were that it was a bit too dark or miserable for the mood I was in at the time. Don't expect anything like "Summer '68" or "The Great Gig In The Sky".

5.0 out of 5 stars Floydian memories, 13 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Rick Wright has been able to capture a the eerie mood of the earlier Floyd on this album. Though not Floyd it brings back memories of albums like Meddle. Rick's collaboration with Sinead O'Connor on especially the last track of the album is of an almost unhuman nature, this will certainly do (free interpretation of the porsecutor's line The Wall). Listen and judge for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rick Wright, 26 Feb. 2014
A. J. Harknett (london,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Of Pink Floyd , sadly passed away but not forgotten , I haven't listened to any of Ricks solo releases but saw this on amazon so thought I'd give it a try and glad I did . I like it enough to recommend it but his best work is within Pink Floyd in my opinion , recording is of good quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Floyd but worth a listen., 16 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Broken China (Audio CD)
Like most of the solo efforts of the members of Pink Floyd, they fail to live up to the sheer brilliance of the whole band. This offering from Rick Wright is no different but that should not put the Floyd fan off trying it. (Even if some of the vocals are a bit iffy.) Although it is a few years old now, in the absence of a new Floyd album, it's worth a go if you haven't heard it. However, don't expect the consistency of Floyd across all the tracks but there are definitely one or two quite excellent moments such as Night of a Thousand Furry Toys.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Broken China
Broken China by Richard Wright (Audio CD - 1996)