Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

on 27 October 2009
"With the Beatles" was the first LP I bought way back in December 1963. And of course it was in magnificent mono! When I began to replace my Beatles LPs with CDs in the 1990s I was disappointed that the first four albums (including "With the Beatles" were only available in mono. With the release of the remastered versions in September of this year, I was overjoyed to find that ALL the albums were now available in stereo.
And what a gem this album is in stereo.
The songs are still great - it seemed that "It Won't Be Long" was on Two Way Family Favourites every Sunday, the Rolling Stones covered "I Wanna Be Your Man", but the song people seemed to rave about was "All My Loving". All these sound even better now they are in stereo. But my personal favourites in stereo when compared with the mono versions are:-
"Money" which is RAW, and has a different mix
"Please Mr Postman" which is my favourite from the album and
"Roll Over Beethoven" which definitely sounds totally different in the stereo mix.
A gound breaking album (for its time) which used the same formula as "Please Please Me" but included no singles so was excellent value for money.
My only criticism - perhaps the singles ("She Loves You/I'll Get You" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand/This Boy") could have been included as bonus tracks, together with "One after 909" from Anthology I.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 November 2009
It's impossible not to love this energetic early offering. The Beatles own compositions are more assured than on the debut, showing how fast they developed as songwriters, and the cover versions are first rate. I defy anyone not to be swept along by the exuberant blasts through 'Roll Over Beethoven' 'Money' 'It Won't Be Long' etc. George makes his songwriting bow with 'Don't Bother Me', a moody, atmospheric piece that is very different from what Lennon/McCartney were coming up with, which helps to create slightly more variation on this album compared to the first. As for the new Remaster, it's very good but still a bit bass-light compared to other albums. A word to those complaining about the stereo mix still being left/right and nothing in the middle, it could not be done any other way. Contrary to what you may have read on this page by others, the Beatles did NOT have four-track facility for this album, they were still using two-track and consequently when mixing for stereo the music could only be seperated the way you hear it to make it stereo. 'Money' is the exception as it was impossible to create a stereo mix without synching two seperate two-track mono mixes together which is why it sounds very different to the mono. Because of this limited technology, a more palatable stereo re-mix cannot be done. It's unfortunate that the mono mixes are not being made available seperately but thats EMI for you.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A much more accomplished album than their first with a very high quota of classics ("It Won't Be Long", "All My Loving","Not A Second Time"), very good cover versions ("Please Mr Postman", "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Till There Was You") and arguably no fillers - although "Little Child" and George's
"Don't Bother Me" are perhaps not in the same class as the other songs. A worthy album to mark the start of Beatlemania!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 February 2011
This album needs no introduction to me available as back in Canada it was retitled Beatlemania-With The Beatles and like many there we owned it!
14 vital tracks, six of them covers see the bands confidence expanding and their musicianship growing from Roll Over Beethoven which was a single back home, Money where that performance is the only one by an English beat group to get the introduction as close as Barratt Strong's Motown original and the evergreen ballad All My Loving which was featured I believe on an EP over here.
The rockers include It Won't By Long and Not A Second Time.
The sound on this re-mastered stereo cd is incredible, unlike the previous (1987) mono cd where Ringo's drumming seemed a good distance away lacking impact, on this he's back at the front and the treble is smoother with more fine detail so you can follow the guitar parts even better.
13 of these songs were recorded in twin track - just two channels of a tape machine keeping most of the rhythm on one channel and the vocals on another - which does lead to wide separation however if this bothers you just move your speakers a bit further in or if your stereo has a mono button press it in.
Money is the only four track recording on here and it shows in more of what you might call a 'proper' stereo spread but the improvement in sound quality on this cd is such that unless you're a dedicated mono fan who is able to buy the Beatles in Mono box set, then this really is the best version out there for you.
on 14 October 2009
Well after years of waiting we finally have the Beatle's albums re-mastered and, in some cases, sounding as fresh as if they were recorded last week.
Back in 1988 the Beatles album collection was rushed out on CD to take advantage of the new medium which was rapidly consigning vinyl to history. Unfortunately it transpires that in the case of The Beatles collection it was more or less a transfer from analogue master straight to CD with little or no cleaning up or re-mastering. So much so that this album as well as Please Please Me, Beatles For Sale and A Hard Days Night came out on mono CD, presumably because there wasn't a good stereo mix available at the time.
The resultant sound was only marginally better than listening to the original vinyl or cassette on a good quality music system, even though anything was better than listening to it, as I did, on a 1960's Dansette.
So now we have the 2009 re-mastered and stereo version of With The Beatles and it is a great improvement on the original mono CD. There is a clarity and space around all the music, in particular to things like Paul's vocal on All My Loving. One can even hear Ringo's drumming on You've Really Got a Hold On Me which is the best number on the album.
It might be worthwhile taking a chance and up-dating your collection of the four original mono CD albums with the new stereo releases before investing in the remaining 2009 re-mastered albums from Help onwards which in fact were released on stereo CD back in 1988. If you never had any of The Beatles albums on CD or vinyl then now is your chance to find out why they were so popular, you won't regret it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Just four months after Please Please Me, the Beatles decided to do it all over again. So here we have a similar format of original numbers (eight in total including the first by George Harrison "Don't Bother Me") alongside covers (six in total). This time around the covers seemed to blend in more with the Lennon/McCartney songs - almost as if they had been chosen and could almost be passed off as Beatles originals. Certainly Meredith Willson's "Till There Was You," Smokey Robinson's "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" and Janie Bradford/Berry Gordy's "Money" could so easily have come from the pens of the dynamic duo. "Till There Was You" is a genuinely lovely ballad. Whilst feeling that some of the covers on Please Please Me sounded rather like filler material, With the Beatles throws up the first track from the Fab Four that I genuinely dislike - "Please Mr Postman" which is horrible drivel. Neither have I ever been a big fan of Chuck Berry's Roll Over Beethoven. So what of the original compositions this time round. Well if the covers fitted in better, the originals weren't quite so strong. "All My Loving is a cast iron hit but some of the others are almost lacking in grace. So for me its a win some lose some album that has a raw energy about it but is less immediate than Please Please Me.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Another selection of wonderful music from the masters. With The Beatles, the follow up to Please Please Me. They took a bit longer over this and produced some of their most memorable performances. No single taken off this album in the UK but All My Loving is as good as any of the singles they ever did. I believe John's vocal performance on Money is as good as anything he ever did. Great rock voice. It Won't Be Long/Not A Second Time, two more lennon and McCartney classics. Then you have the brilliant cover versions of Please Mr Postman/You Really Got A Hold On Me/Devil In Her Heart. Great follow up to a great album showing what master songwriters they were. This was the last album to showcase their early stage show. They covered some great tracks, usually doing it better than the original. The Beatles showed that from now on they could not only sing other peoples songs better, they could also write better songs than anybody else.
on 6 October 2009
I bought the first four re-mastered Beatles CDs mainly because they're now in stereo for the first time. But, just like their first album, the new re-mastering has freshened up `With The Beatles' and given it new lease of life.

This album has a very similar sound to `Please Please Me' - recorded just a few months later using the same old machinery as Please Please Me (presumably used for new acts yet to prove themselves), the stark left-right stereo is a straight copy of the two mono channels.

Also like its predecessor, the availability of only 2 tracks means a remix to re-position the vocals is unlikely to happen (George and Giles Martin couldn't manage it for `Love'). So we'll just have to learn to love this stereo mix - or listen in mono!

I suppose it could even be considered a trade-off. Would we prefer it if they'd passed their audition at Decca and had access to state-of-the-art studio equipment for these early albums - or do we put up with the dodgy stereo and give thanks for the guiding hand of George Martin at Abbey Road?

It's not all one-sided vocals though, as some time was spent on mixing the stereo version of `Money'. Well worth the trouble as far as I'm concerned, because it sounds superb with its balanced vocals and instruments. Perhaps a sign of things to come?
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2009
This was the first Beatles LP I owned, I loved it 30 odd years ago and I love it now. Everything sounds glorious, but the Bass Drum... BOOM! It has never sounded as BOOMING as that before. If you buy it you'll love it. If you've never heard it before and you're just getting into music...buy it now. Please Mr Postman! Money! Not A Second Time! All My Loving! (How can that have never been a single?) Who cares about the separation? Listen to it on speakers, don't keep it to yourselves.
It's just FAB! I'm emptying my piggy bank, going to have to get them all again. Makes me feel like 14 again!
on 17 May 2012
I first heard this album in the late 1960s as a 14 year old and was always amazed by the energy and freshness of the music and performances - well I just updated to the CD and the magic is still there, plus the CD packaging - rather than being a downgrade from an informative record sleeve - is a great improvement by including lots of pics and info not available on the original album (as far as I remember).
The sound quality is FAB and I've read reviews about the basic stereo effect - well I first discovered this in the late 60s (when record buyers were given the choice of buying the Mono or the Stereo version) and I used to be fascinated by how I could tune out the guitar, bass, drums or vocals by turning the balance control. It was a great way to hear how the arrangement was put together and the balance on this CD is identical to those originals - I wouldn't want to see that changed as it is an original feature of those times, and it was a great advancement on the Mono recordings before it. You'll hear the same stereo sound on all the early Beatles records. This isn't just great music - it's also great history and I'm on cloud 9 listening to it as a write (actually 'I wanna be your man' has just started so I need to get up and dance) - bye!!