5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect autumn soundtrack
Published on 18 Aug 2000 by vlad_shusterman@hotmail.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring Depressive Drone Musick
This album is majorily boring. Every track sounds the same. The female singer sounds half dead and in a coffin. The Smiths and Joy Divison have been accused of being depressing but were inspirational however this album is like a soundtrack to a French film about suicidal lovers. I am giving an extra star for Umbilical which is pretty good and shows how good the album...
Published 13 months ago by Kim Fowley

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect autumn soundtrack, 18 Aug 2000
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
OK, guitar-based ballads-don't you just hate the connotations? There are so few artists who make this stuff without making the listener yawn, they should be set in stone for the world to see. And so are Mazzy Star with "Among My Swan", their best release to date. Truly one of the most touching and emotional albums of the musically prolific 90's. This is no stretch. So unique, so mellow and dark at one, this is one of the best albums for autumn/winter I know ( along with Lamb's debute, Nick Cave's "Boatman Call" and "Turn Loose The Swans" by My Dying Bride). Whether you're listening to it on your way to work at 7 AM or in your room with a bottle of Baileys, November night, raining outside, phone's off the hook...well you know the setting, this is an unforgettable experience. Tracks like "Cry Cry", "Take Everything", "Happy" and "I've Been Let Down" can be either the most uplifting or the most depressing songs in the world, depending on your mood at the moment. "All Your Sisters" is probably the spookiest number ever done by a soft rock act. "Disappear" and "Umbilical", with their guitar-driven dark psychedelia could make the late Syd Barett himself wipe a bitter tear. The bottomline: if you still don't own it, get it whatever the cost is. You're missing a world within itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected success, 6 Dec 2001
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
I'd never even heard of Mazzy Star before I caught the 'Flowers In December' music video on MTV. I thought nothing much of the song until a full three days later when I realised it was all I was thinking about, secretly humming it in the back of my brain. So I bought the album and was surprised by the subtle brilliance of it.
Singer Hope Sandoval has one of the most gothic and beautiful voices in modern music and this is what makes the album so great. The music itself is laid back and mostly provides a backdrop for Sandoval and her haunting lyrics.
This isn't hard rock but you get the sense that if Mazzy Star ever made such an album it would be pretty damn good. Roseblood is a good example of this with its raucous guitar turned right down to minimum volume and the song's overall desire to shout in the form of whispering.
Perfect for depressed teenagers or anyone who likes down songs that somehow make you feel good about yourself. Highlights on the album are Flowers in December, Take Everything, Rhymes of An Hour (wasted in a naff movie, Stealing Beauty in 1995) and Roseblood. A movie critic once called a film he saw 'quietly explosive'. That, I think, is the perfect description for this little album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant 3rd album by Mazzy Star, 5 Oct 2001
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
I find it hard to believe that it was January 1999 when i first bought this CD. I was on a Sunday's website and many people recommended this band. It proved to be the best album I had bought for many years. The first track 'disappear' is in my one of the best songs of all time clearly - the haunting, smokey exotic vocals are unworldly and the wonderful guitar playing by David Roback is sensational. flowers in december was a beautiful single and cry, cry has a very laid-back feel with slide guitars and effects-pedal aplenty. 'Take Everything' is a brilliant track with an amazing slide-solo and has a countrified/ bluesy feel to it. Contrasted to their earlier work this album is less experimental - this is a good thing. A few later tracks such as umbilical I find hard to listen to, but Happy is almost grungey but melodic too and this adds another string to this albums large bow! The last track look on down from the bridge is haunting but a wonderfully beautiful track. Hope sandoval is probably the wrolds greatest unknown singer. Judging by her solo efforts, this may not be the case for very much longer! A brilliant must-buy album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortlessly Inspirational Soundpieces, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
Mazzy Star layer each song's ingredients beautifully, topping each one off with Hope's sultry vocals. There's probably little I can add to the reviews already here to describe what it sounds like. Everyone's got it pretty spot on.

BTW, as well as Hope's solo efforts (also fantastic), she did vocal duty on two songs on Death In Vegas' "Scorpio Rising" album, one of which closes the record and is on a par with Mazzy Star's finest efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars I truly love this album. hauntingly beautiful, 16 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
Rarely is there an album that can make you feel such a mix of emotions just by listening to it. I purchased the album quite a few years ago, and I still listen to it on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
You know what you should expect in a Mazzy Star album. Nonetheless, this album sounds better and better after every listen. Her voice is still amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing Music!, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
Music that seems to be new everytime I listen to it...
Just well composed and so talented. for me, it is an Evergreen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
I absolutely love the album. It is my kind of music. I will certainly buy more Mazzy Star albums. Brilliant.
s

5.0 out of 5 stars How on earth did I miss this ?, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
Got my elder son to obtain this after hearing Gideon Coe play the achingly beautiful "flowers in december" ironically at Xmas 2012. As an indie music afficianado of several decades am still kicking myself for not hearing them/ buying it in 1996...but then no radio 6 to play such eclectic stuff to the masses i guess? Every track a gem esp "cry cry ", "disappear " & "happy" . Thanks indirectly to Mr.Coe it's my personal best cd acquisition of the last year alongside Public Service Broadcasting's "Spitfire" EP which he also championed. Both are quite outstanding records imo.

Have all three Mazzy Star albums now firmly ensconced in my record collection I am delighted to report. A simply marvellous band - will be playing AMS (particularly) and their other stuff for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars a moody offering, 15 Sep 2012
dan (north ayrshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Among My Swan (Audio CD)
Now here is something that is not afraid to be different. Restrained electric guitars, a dark and moody voice, and lovely musical arrangements take you someplace, somewhere quiet and serene.A fine collection of musical instruments are applied, all with restraint, and in some songs the repeated musical stanzas are very effective in creating and maintaining the spell.In others, this band prove that they can create rich and thoughtful music out of little more than a voice and a strumming guitar. Undoubtably a very thoughtful and well crafted album.

Among My Swan
Among My Swan by Mazzy Star (Audio CD - 1996)