Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 August 2012
Australia's Little River Band, a Melbourne outfit formed in 1975, seem to be a name that few know about. First things first - I'm no expert on them, nor their discography - their name was mentioned a few years ago when I first got into U.S band Styx. This Best Of, cheap secondhand as a CD is my first dip into their musical waters.

As an intro to the band, this collection seems fine. Musically, they are a little too 'Radio Playlist US Rock' for my ears, with often impressive and very pleasant sounding close harmony vocals. Styx they are not, though I can see the similarities (such as they are) with Styx, so don't feel cheated by the recommendation.

Song-wise and instrumentally, they are competent and a bit safe, to be honest. I can hear many of those power ballads of American soft-rock in many, but as I don't own any of those artist's albums, I can't say whom exactly. Lead singer (& bassist) Wayne Nelson has a fine Glen Frey sort of voice and is probably the driving force throughout.

This release is part of EMI's 'Ten Best' series, which means you only get 10 songs, which might seem a bit mean, especially of you're a fan. This also means that you do get a concise, consistent quality without fillers or covers. Little River Band (apparently) remain one of Australia's biggest bands and exports and it's not hard to see why. Whether softish harmony rock is your cup of tea or not is more of an issue but I'd say that if it is, then this is a very listenable inclusion - and alternative - to the genre.

You'll have to be quite forgiving to the cheap packaging though - the cover insert is just a single slip of printed paper (blank on the inside!) and without any band info whatsoever...
on 3 April 2013
I recently saw the lead singer Glenn Shorrock here in Adelaide. He must be sixty but is still great on stage. Buy this one. Great success in the US particularly in the seventies.
on 12 June 2012
this is my second copy of the album, played the last one to death, if you like close harmony rock bands you won`t go wrong with this one, superb
on 29 March 2016