5.0 out of 5 stars What a splendid enterprise Ravi!
I have been collecting Indian classical music for many years, and I guess I may have become a trifle jaded! What a revelation! These chants contain so many vocal and instrumental jewels. Not only am I enjoying the album, but it has prompted me to listen again to things I had neglected.
Published on 30 Oct 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected
I thought the CD was too deeply 'intense' i.e. the chants are what are what the pundits and priests chant during religious ceremonies and not something you would ,or at least I would listen to on a regular basis for relaxation or even meditation. As it says on the cover - Ravi Shankar produced by George Harrison , I expected something different so rather dissappointed...
Published 22 months ago by Prem Arjoon

5.0 out of 5 stars What a splendid enterprise Ravi!, 30 Oct 2001
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
Seasoned followers and those who have appreciated George Harrisons efforts, buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine, 6 Jan 2004
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
If listened to without distraction, the music will penetrate and will leave a residue of peace, calmness and oneness. Highly recommended - the first track is simply divine. If I play this track I have to stop what I am doing and simply listen. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy classification, but worth possessing..., 29 April 2005
S. Yogendra "Shefaly" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
One of the reviewers refers to the music as adding to his collection of Indian classical music. If one were to draw the line dividing classical from 'pop' music, based on popularity, the review readers will be pleased to know that this music would be called 'pop' music.
The Vedic and other Hindu chants included in this record are a part of many Sanaatan-dharmi Hindu homes in their daily devotional routines.
Tracks 4 and 5 also form part of prayer in many schools in North India. 'Asato Maa' is a prayer to be led from falsehood to truth, darkness to light, death to eternal life, and hence suits the pursuit of knowledge. 'Sahanaavavatu', which is how it should be written in true representation from Sanskrit, is a prayer for togetherness in working and sharing, and the equivalent of deliverance from evil. Track 7 is one used often in Aryan Samaaj worship ceremonies of the Fire.
Although I am not religious, for me, this is a far better way to start my morning instead of switching on breakfast TV. It only competes with Ravi Shankar/ Yehudi Menuhin's 'East meets West' with its own enchanting compositions, which I have also reviewed on Amazon UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entrancing Chants, 4 Aug 2003
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
At first my reaction was that this CD was over-produced and over-arranged, all those western instruments, cello, harp, and echoey effects.
But very quickly the simplicity of the chants ( including old favourites from the Upanishads ) and the uncluttered feeling of devotion made this an irresistable mix. The different instrumental sounds gleam like jewels against the subtle, sombre tone of the voices.
I listen to it every day, and it does not stale, the one sure sign of something very special. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album of chanting, 1 April 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful album to wake up to, to fall to sleep to, to chill out to and to live to! The music does not just happen, it seems to unfold into existance, layer upon layer into a rich tapestry of sounds.

Ravi Shankar draws upon some traditional mantras, and also adds a few compositions of his own. Asato maa is a well known mantra and his composition of it is really good. Sahanaa Vavatu is a lovely prayer that I like to do in the morning. Mangalam is a rousing call and response chant that I always find myself singing along too. Finally, I would just like to mention Prabhugee - this is a hauntingly beautiful song where the devotee calls out lovingly to the teacher.

I highly reccomend reserving the time to listen to this album all in one go. The music ebbs and flows perfectly, and by the end you will be totally blissed out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful and beautiful, 11 Jan 2001
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
This album is trully brilliant - it is inspiring and soulful all at once. The CD also contains the lyrics and the translation of the lyrics. I am a Hindu who therefore already knows some of these chants as they come from Hindu Scriptures but this will appeal to all. Highly recommended! Track 15 is my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is soul stirring music !, 20 July 2008
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
The biggest quality of this album is that no matter how many times you listen to it, every morning it will touch your inner being.The invocations are recited with such purity and sincerity, even if you do not understand Sanskrit, the effect is soul-stirring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, inspirational, 27 Feb 2001
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
I played this cd for the first time in a long time and burst into tears. Sure, feeling emotional anyway, but this is the most wonderful musical experience I have in my collection to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars The essence of India!, 18 Aug 2000
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
This album is, quite simply, the essence of everything that I love about India.
It has all the passion, drama and exuberance of the subcontinent's culture.
Its beautiful, fully matured melodies and impeccable musicianship brings no shame on the album's spiritual topic matter. What we don't get is Ravi Shankar's own virtuosity as a sitar player. Instead he has lend his lifetime of musical expertise to writing and arranging chants that will be remembered among his best output.
'Chants of India' quite simply manifests that profound spirit felt by any receptive visitor to the homeland of the hindus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of Indian chants to be used as background music or before meditation., 20 Nov 2013
Giulia Tripepi (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chants Of India (Audio CD)
Lovely selection and interpretation of Indian spiritual chants, Ravi Shankar's expertise is evident and George Harrison's input in this work makes it more valuable to my eyes. East and West working together! This music is ideal as uplifting background music or it can be used as a preparation before meditation. There is a Western touch that makes it different from traditional Indian chants.

Chants Of India
Chants Of India by George Harrison (Audio CD - 1997)