Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 November 2001
This is one of THE best Madonna albums available- there is a wide range of her more emotional and slower music available here. All of these songs are classics and this is a perfect album for the end of the night or the middle of the afternoon. Striking songs here are: "I Want You"- somewhat different than the original but gorgeously covered. The orginal version is excellent, the orchestral is unusually haunting yet stunning.
"I'll Remember"- a sweet ballad, yet it stilll has a good flow. "You'll See"- revenge, wrapped up in a nice little musical package. "This Used To Be My Playground"- one of Madonna's best songs, and very emotional too. "Live To Tell" + "Crazy For You"- classics, need I say more? The other songs are also good with two exceptions- Forbidden Love and One More Chance. Bboth dull, both boring. Other problem with the album- where is "The Look of Love", "Sooner or Later", "Veras" ("You'll See Spanish version) and "La Isla Bonita". Otherwise a must have collection!
Something to Remember is by far my all time favourite Madonna album. It is chilled, laid back and thoughtful, and I love it. My favourite tracks are 'This used to be my Playground' 'Rain' 'Something to Remember' and 'Oh Father'. It is quite a reflective album I feel, and not as loud and obvious as some of her other work. I have always been a big Madonna fan, I totally admire the woman, she is fearless. However, this album shows a gentler side to her, a more likeable persona I think. I like to have it playing when I am in a pensive frame of mind, thinking back over times in my life. It's a dear friend to me, and one I treasure.
on 2 May 2014
Okay, so after a few months of avoiding STR vinyl reissue due to bad reviews, I decided to go ahead and buy it anyway since it was only £12.07 on Amazon, bargain really.

Anyway, after unpacking it I was delighted to see the 12 "artwork and I do like the flower on the back of the jacket, it's very sharp.

I was prepared to be disappointed when I put the vinyl on the turntable and sent it spinning, preparing myself to turn the volume all the way up a long with the bass. I Want You begins, and although there is a bit a surface noise (none of my 180g records make this noise), once the songs begin the surface noise is buried, and what pours out of the the speakers is beautifully textured music at a perfect volume (LAP vinyl reissue is much quieter than this). I'd honestly never heard I Want You sound so good, there were so many instrumentation layers that I've never heard before, it was a whole new experience. I'll Remember sounds beautiful, Take A Bow is great, I could hear the bass perfectly fine, Crazy for You sounds so fresh on vinyl, the booming reverberated snare sounds so powerful.

I'm also glad that it's on 1 vinyl because flipping the discs can be a frustrating, I understand why it should technically be on 2 discs but it sounds great to me.
on 30 September 2013
I am playing this new vinyl issue on very high end equipment and have to say I am quite disappointed.The sound level is significantly lower than normal hence volume has to be turned up.which amplifies the few crackles,pops and surface noise found on most records.Even with volume cranked up there is a noticeable absence of dynamics especially bass.I am a vinyl addict and always argue that with good equipment vinyl walks all over cd but not in this case. As for content I don't think it is necessary to review tracks as all are excellent and are familiar to Madonna fans.
on 2 August 2005
MADONNA was in back-to-back film projects when this unheralded collection hit the stores just a year after the bedtime stories album, spanning her first 12 years, this compiles a selection of ballads, most of which were not included on madonna's GHV2 greatest hits album.
The romantic theme is scotched somewhat by her scolding song about her own father, but it's a minor quibble.
Showcasing her emotional vocal range far way before she played the icon in the film evita, highlights include a cover of marvin gaye's I WANT YOU and her very own wonderful RAIN, a reminder that Madonna is adept at brooding longing as she is at controversy, a brilliant album with huge amounts of emotion and songs you can really relate to 10 out 0f 10!
on 3 November 2013
Warner Records had no trouble whatsoever trying to update it somehow. It's in 180 gram vinyl, so one would expect the most gorgeous, powerful sound coming out of the speakers... Not the case here. This is the lowest-sounding vinyl I've got, not to mention that the beautiful photo session by Mario Testino has been omitted. All you get is the photo on the cover. What a pity.
If Warner had been a wise company, one which minded its customers, they would've remastered the audio, made it into white vinyl and pumped up the photo session. What a shame. Nothing added to the original CD here, not even a better audio.
I would pass it if I were you.
on 23 October 2013
Arguably this is one of Madonna's best "best-of" albums. It demonstrates that she really does have talent and can do more than just shock and put out 'dance' records. It is a chance for her quieter hits such as "I'll Remember" and "This Used to be my Playground" to stand out and show Madonna's ability to show real emotion and storytelling in her singing. After the disappointment that was MDNA (apart from "Masterpiece"), Madonna should listen and learn from this classic album. This is the direction she needs to return to in order to keep her dwindling fan base.
on 14 March 2015
Doing a 'Beyonce' decades before she dropped a 'surprise' album, Madonna put this collection out without any promo, fanfare or publicity in 1995. It had a lead off single which did pretty well on the charts around the globe and garnered a softer image for her as an interim album between the Sex of Erotica, Bedtime Stories and 1996's more softer Evita phase. Essentially it is a stop gap album which had 2 main aims, prep the world for Madonna as Eva Peron and keeping the dans and record label happy. On both counts it met those aims and achieved far more. It went on to sell over 9 million around the globe, over 900,000 copies in the UK alone, not bad for a collection of older ballads. It also remains the only Madonna album which would contain a track (I Want You) that would become a kind of experimental stepping stone between the alternative trance sounds on Bedtime Stories and 1998's new age Ray of Light opus. It would see her move electronica into the mainstream, again, serving as a lightning rod for underground sounds and the future of pop.

Its a great collection with highlights such as Rain and Crazy For You sitting perfectly alongside newer cuts You'll See and One More Chance.
on 13 August 2004
Something To Remember is Madonna's second compilation and is advertised as "A collection of her finest ballads", which is completely true. Despite a few naff tracks, namely "I'll Remember" and "One More Chance", there are plenty of highlights here. Her duet with Massive Attack, "I Want You", is both moving and chilling, and her all her classic ballads including "Live To Tell", "Crazy For You" and "Take A Bow" are here. If you're not much of a Madonna collector and only own The Immaculate Collection and GHV2, Something To Remember is another essential, especially if you're a fan of ballads.
on 5 January 2015
As a growing fan of Madonna, I requested this CD album over my wish list and got it as a Christmas present in 2014. "Something To Remember" takes me on a nostalgic journey of ballads, all of which I find catchy and charming. Her voice is lovely, and moves from a soft and gentle tone like in "I Want You", "Rain" and "Take A Bow" to pretty darn powerful; "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" immediately springs to mind. Considering that this album came out before "Evita", and I don't think she took serious singing lessons until taking that role, I'd say that she carries this collection of songs really well and she knows her stuff. I am very happy with this album and admire this lady for her self-motivation and could listen to her forever.