5.0 out of 5 stars One of THE Madonna albums- a must have for any fan or not!
Published on 14 Nov. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful product but quality-wise...
Published 20 months ago by Nerrian

5.0 out of 5 stars One of THE Madonna albums- a must have for any fan or not!, 14 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Something To Remember (Audio CD)
This is one of THE best Madonna albums available- there is a wide range of her more emotional and slower music available here. All of these songs are classics and this is a perfect album for the end of the night or the middle of the afternoon. Striking songs here are: "I Want You"- somewhat different than the original but gorgeously covered. The orginal version is excellent, the orchestral is unusually haunting yet stunning.
"I'll Remember"- a sweet ballad, yet it stilll has a good flow. "You'll See"- revenge, wrapped up in a nice little musical package. "This Used To Be My Playground"- one of Madonna's best songs, and very emotional too. "Live To Tell" + "Crazy For You"- classics, need I say more? The other songs are also good with two exceptions- Forbidden Love and One More Chance. Bboth dull, both boring. Other problem with the album- where is "The Look of Love", "Sooner or Later", "Veras" ("You'll See Spanish version) and "La Isla Bonita". Otherwise a must have collection!

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful product but quality-wise..., 3 Nov. 2013
Warner Records had no trouble whatsoever trying to update it somehow. It's in 180 gram vinyl, so one would expect the most gorgeous, powerful sound coming out of the speakers... Not the case here. This is the lowest-sounding vinyl I've got, not to mention that the beautiful photo session by Mario Testino has been omitted. All you get is the photo on the cover. What a pity.
If Warner had been a wise company, one which minded its customers, they would've remastered the audio, made it into white vinyl and pumped up the photo session. What a shame. Nothing added to the original CD here, not even a better audio.
I would pass it if I were you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time Favourite Madonna album, 27 Mar. 2008
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Something To Remember (Audio CD)
Something to Remember is by far my all time favourite Madonna album. It is chilled, laid back and thoughtful, and I love it. My favourite tracks are 'This used to be my Playground' 'Rain' 'Something to Remember' and 'Oh Father'. It is quite a reflective album I feel, and not as loud and obvious as some of her other work. I have always been a big Madonna fan, I totally admire the woman, she is fearless. However, this album shows a gentler side to her, a more likeable persona I think. I like to have it playing when I am in a pensive frame of mind, thinking back over times in my life. It's a dear friend to me, and one I treasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something to remember, 6 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Something To Remember (Audio CD)
After buying "The Immaculate collection" and "GHV2" there were still notable omissions from Madonna's record-breaking career which I still needed to own. "Something to remember" is the ideal collection of Madonna's finest tracks for music fans like myself who have always admired the Queen of pop, but not enough to appreciate her albums.
"Something to remember" features Madonna's best ballads. One of which is "Oh father" which first appeared on the "Like a prayer" album. This has become one of my all time favourite songs. The emotional ballad features Madonna's song writing at its best. 10/10
Also featuring here is other classics such as "Take a bow" and "Live to tell", "I'll remember" and "Rain".
Having said this there are a few tracks on here which aren't particularly memorable. Though maybe a couple more listens may correct this... we'll see.
Accompanied with "The Immaculate Collection" and "Greatest hits volume 2" this is the perfect way to complete your Madonna collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madonna in laid back mode - get ready for re - reinvention, 2 Aug. 2005
Craig J. Richardson (birchington kent u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something To Remember (Audio CD)
MADONNA was in back-to-back film projects when this unheralded collection hit the stores just a year after the bedtime stories album, spanning her first 12 years, this compiles a selection of ballads, most of which were not included on madonna's GHV2 greatest hits album.
The romantic theme is scotched somewhat by her scolding song about her own father, but it's a minor quibble.
Showcasing her emotional vocal range far way before she played the icon in the film evita, highlights include a cover of marvin gaye's I WANT YOU and her very own wonderful RAIN, a reminder that Madonna is adept at brooding longing as she is at controversy, a brilliant album with huge amounts of emotion and songs you can really relate to 10 out 0f 10!

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer the cd version., 30 Sept. 2013
I am playing this new vinyl issue on very high end equipment and have to say I am quite disappointed.The sound level is significantly lower than normal hence volume has to be turned up.which amplifies the few crackles,pops and surface noise found on most records.Even with volume cranked up there is a noticeable absence of dynamics especially bass.I am a vinyl addict and always argue that with good equipment vinyl walks all over cd but not in this case. As for content I don't think it is necessary to review tracks as all are excellent and are familiar to Madonna fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than Suggested, 2 May 2014
D. P. Bostock "Emo_Molko" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Okay, so after a few months of avoiding STR vinyl reissue due to bad reviews, I decided to go ahead and buy it anyway since it was only £12.07 on Amazon, bargain really.

Anyway, after unpacking it I was delighted to see the 12 "artwork and I do like the flower on the back of the jacket, it's very sharp.

I was prepared to be disappointed when I put the vinyl on the turntable and sent it spinning, preparing myself to turn the volume all the way up a long with the bass. I Want You begins, and although there is a bit a surface noise (none of my 180g records make this noise), once the songs begin the surface noise is buried, and what pours out of the the speakers is beautifully textured music at a perfect volume (LAP vinyl reissue is much quieter than this). I'd honestly never heard I Want You sound so good, there were so many instrumentation layers that I've never heard before, it was a whole new experience. I'll Remember sounds beautiful, Take A Bow is great, I could hear the bass perfectly fine, Crazy for You sounds so fresh on vinyl, the booming reverberated snare sounds so powerful.

I'm also glad that it's on 1 vinyl because flipping the discs can be a frustrating, I understand why it should technically be on 2 discs but it sounds great to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Defintely something memorable, 13 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Something To Remember (Audio CD)
Something To Remember is Madonna's second compilation and is advertised as "A collection of her finest ballads", which is completely true. Despite a few naff tracks, namely "I'll Remember" and "One More Chance", there are plenty of highlights here. Her duet with Massive Attack, "I Want You", is both moving and chilling, and her all her classic ballads including "Live To Tell", "Crazy For You" and "Take A Bow" are here. If you're not much of a Madonna collector and only own The Immaculate Collection and GHV2, Something To Remember is another essential, especially if you're a fan of ballads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madonna's quiet classic album, 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Something To Remember (Audio CD)
Arguably this is one of Madonna's best "best-of" albums. It demonstrates that she really does have talent and can do more than just shock and put out 'dance' records. It is a chance for her quieter hits such as "I'll Remember" and "This Used to be my Playground" to stand out and show Madonna's ability to show real emotion and storytelling in her singing. After the disappointment that was MDNA (apart from "Masterpiece"), Madonna should listen and learn from this classic album. This is the direction she needs to return to in order to keep her dwindling fan base.

5.0 out of 5 stars does exactly what it says on the tin!, 14 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Something To Remember (Audio CD)
Doing a 'Beyonce' decades before she dropped a 'surprise' album, Madonna put this collection out without any promo, fanfare or publicity in 1995. It had a lead off single which did pretty well on the charts around the globe and garnered a softer image for her as an interim album between the Sex of Erotica, Bedtime Stories and 1996's more softer Evita phase. Essentially it is a stop gap album which had 2 main aims, prep the world for Madonna as Eva Peron and keeping the dans and record label happy. On both counts it met those aims and achieved far more. It went on to sell over 9 million around the globe, over 900,000 copies in the UK alone, not bad for a collection of older ballads. It also remains the only Madonna album which would contain a track (I Want You) that would become a kind of experimental stepping stone between the alternative trance sounds on Bedtime Stories and 1998's new age Ray of Light opus. It would see her move electronica into the mainstream, again, serving as a lightning rod for underground sounds and the future of pop.

Its a great collection with highlights such as Rain and Crazy For You sitting perfectly alongside newer cuts You'll See and One More Chance.

Something To Remember
Something To Remember by Madonna (Audio CD - 1995)