4.0 out of 5 stars 4½ stars. Stewart's best record of the 90s
This excellent album has all the grit and feeling of Stewart's best early-70s LPs.

Published on 7 Oct 2003 by Docendo Discimus

3.0 out of 5 stars Unplugged and not edge of the seat
I did expect more from this album... perhaps I was expecting a return to his earlier days but "seated" seems to describe to me an evening where he just went through the motions rather than really "rock". OK sums it up... if it's inexpensive.
Published 13 months ago by G M S

4.0 out of 5 stars 4½ stars. Stewart's best record of the 90s, 7 Oct 2003
Docendo Discimus (Vita scholae) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Unplugged...And Seated (Audio CD)

Accompanied by a great combo which includes former bandmate Ronnie Wood, Stewart returns to the acoustic rock n' roll and folk that marked his greatest recordings, and even if "Unplugged" can't quite match "Gasoline Alley" or the sublime "Every Picture Tells A Story", it's really amazing how close it comes at times.

Rod Stewart sounds fine, if a little bit ragged at first, and the set opens with a wonderfully tough acoustic rendition of the sleazy rocker "Hot Legs", and the unplugged versions of the Faces' only hit, "Stay With Me", and Sam Cooke's "Having A Party" are equally superb.

"The First Cut Is The Deepest" is too saccharine for my taste, and "People Get Ready" never gets off the ground, but everything else is good, and most of it is great, particularly the swinging blues "Highgate Shuffle", the country-rock of "Cut Across Shorty", the melancholy "Handbands And Gladrags", and the classic "Maggie May".

Great sound, great songs, great arrangements and a lot of feeling.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Rod Stewart, it takes me back to my teenage years!!, 21 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Unplugged...And Seated (Audio CD)
I had almost forgotten my love for Rod Stewarts music until I recently watched a documentary about his life. I so much enjoyed listening to the old songs such as Reason to Believe and Maggie May that I felt I should get a compliation album. I was a great fan in my early teens, but like many fans I lost interest after the days with the Faces. It was the range of classic early Rod Stewart and Faces materials that appealed to me with this album and the performance with Ronnie Wood gives it an added dimension. I was not disappointed. The arrangements are clearly different with the album being 'unplugged', but the songs are every bit as good as I remembered and Rod's voice is just unique. I particulary like the old Faces songs, Mandolin Wind, Hand Bags and Gladrags, Stay With Me, as well as the classics Maggie May and Reason to Believe. If you are an old Rod Stewart or Faces fan this is a good trip down memory lane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw and Rampant, 9 July 2004
A. R. Lattimore "nunclenan" (Knutsford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unplugged...And Seated (Audio CD)
I have recently got back into Rod after an absense of some 20 years! Forgot just how good his voice is. Like other reviewers I found the opening couple of tracks poor on the vocal side - almost like he was afraid to let rip in case his voice gave out. As soon as his old mucker Ron Wood appears the whole concert is tranformed. You forget just how hard the muscians have to work without "electricity" and the result is a far more intense experience for all concerned. The highlights? Cut Across Shorty; Mandolin Wind; Stay With Me & Reason To Believe. Would I recommend it? Yes I would, music at is purest and best. None of your modern Boy Band manufactured twaddle.

4.0 out of 5 stars A complete surprise, 9 April 2007
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Unplugged...And Seated (Audio CD)
I've never been a Rod Stewart fan, having hated his mid-period 'If you think I'm sexy' stuff and then just gave up on him until I heard this. A superb unplugged session from the early 1990's.

Starting with a fiery version of 'Hot Legs', you know immediately this is Rod Stewart going back to his early 70's rock 'n' roll best. Track three is 'Handbags and Gladrags', now so familiar as the theme to 'The Office' that it came as quite a shock to here somebody sing it. I haven't heard the original version but this must push it close.

Its not a perfect album though. Rod should have left Tom Waits 'Tom Traubert's blues (walting matilda)' well alone. Once you've heard Tom Waits original version nothing else is worth listening to. If you don't know Tom Waits has a voice that makes Rod Stewarts sound like an operatic soprano!

Fortunately Rod saves the best until last and 'Mandolin Wind', 'Highgate Shuffle' and 'Stay with Me' are all rock 'n' roll Rod from the early 70's - absolutely superb. Sadly the DVD of this isn't available, but it was filmed, and hopefully it will be released one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rod at his best, 11 April 2009
Mr. S. Element (Abingdon UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this CD the first time it was released but I wanted the DVD and bonus tracks. If you never saw the unplugged set on TV then this is well worth buying, and if you did then its still worth buying. It's funny to see Rod trying to contain himself while entertaining us with some of his classics. It's also great to see him with his old sparing partner Ronnie Wood. He sounds superb and it must have been great to be part of the audience although this is the next best thing. So pour yourself a drink sit back and enjoy but I bet it won't be long before your singing along with the rest of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old favourites, 14 Aug 2013
I watched the TV showing of this concert and enjoyed it. Was stocking my iPod with old CD's and knew this would be good listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking album should have got it earlier, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Unplugged...And Seated (Audio CD)
A must for an Rod Stewart fan or even if you just like some of his music
Has all the classic songs that you would expect

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of all Rod Stewarts CDs, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Unplugged...And Seated (Audio CD)
A fabulous CD I have had for years and I have bought this as a present. Wonderful music to dance around the kitchen to and I am 67!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Unplugged...And Seated (Audio CD)
After watching the Ros Stewart documnetry the other night my love for his early music was re-ignited. In a previous life I had owned this CD but had long lost it. So glad I purchased it. Came quickly and packaged well. If you like Rod, buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Good communication good product. Thanks

Unplugged...And Seated
Unplugged...And Seated by Rod Stewart (Audio CD - 1993)