5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling collection of songs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling collection of songs, 5 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
I am always amazed by the still overlooked songwriting skills of Fagen. His voice is, to be flattering, distinctive, and any lesser material, and any lesser arrangements, would probably die from the weight of carrying his idiosyncratic scratchings. However, with his creative talents, the voice only adds to the over-all genius of what he does. It is as if he creates every note as you hear it, and so you want to hear it again and again. Please enjoy this album, which deserves to be appreciated without constant comparison to his work with Steely Dan. The juxtaposition of the two ouvres is indeed fascinating, but at least once just enjoy the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK BY MR DONALD FAGEN!!!!!!!!, 8 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
This record may just be unique, in that it is the only album I have ever heard, which actually sounds like the perfect soundtrack to a film. based on a J G Ballard type science fiction book, which has never been made! ( although if you're interested in trying to sell the concept Donald, I can have a script ready in a couple of weeks!). An even weirder concept to get your head around is that this could easily be the soundtrack to a very smart and cool sci fi book, without even needing the film. Look I know what I mean and if you already know the album, what I'm saying will sound like perfect common sense.
Concept albums were so passe by the nineties, that it was an extremely brave and confident man who could put out an album which was made up of tableaux from some future world. The 'Kamakiriad'in question is some kind of jet propelled, motor vehicle, which is still top of my Christmas list every year, along with a dvd of Abel Gance's film 'Napoleon', in it's entirety.
I could go on about the brilliant musicianship, the memorable hooks and the exquisite back up vocals, but you'd expect nothing less from anything produced by Fagen. I hate track by track reviews but 'Snowbound' and 'Drive into Springtime' are particular favourites.
Donald Fagen is truly the Nadia Komanech of rock, in that I cannot remember him turning in a record, which was significantly less than perfect.'Kamakiriad'continued that tradition for me, even though I remember it getting a pretty unanimous slagging at the time (I was the only Danfan I knew, who liked it!)Is Donald Fagen a God? No, but he could certainly give Achilles a run for his money!
PS. isn't 'Everything Must Go' brilliant and hasn't 'The Things I Miss the Most' made all the 'Best of....' compilations redundant, yet again?

4.0 out of 5 stars No longer gathering dust!, 28 July 2008
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
I must admit I bought Kamakiriad shortly after it first came out - stuck it into the CD player and was hugely disappointed after one play. It certainly wasn't The Nightfly..or Gaucho..or Aja...or...well you get my drift! Anyhow, it got filed away on the 'shelf of no return' where similar titles sit gathering dust.

But a few months ago I finally collected all the Steely Dan CDs on remastered reissues and started playing them every night while I was preparing supper. So for some reason I thought I'd give the dust gatherer another shot and must admit it started to grow on me, albeit slowly. So I played it the following few nights and it dawned on me that I was really enjoying this relative Fagen flop. Now, it's a regular on my playlist and to be honest I can't quite understand why it didn't appeal on first play.

I do think that it is one of those that needs a little time to fully 'get' and maybe the MOR muzak impression it first gives can be a little off-putting. If you leap into this after liking Can't Buy a Thrill or Pretzel Logic then it probably will leave a bad impression, but if you ease into the whole back catalogue, it won't seem quite so different. Great standout tracks to my ears are: Snowbound, Florida Room, Tomorrow's girls and On the Dunes. I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because, despite my lavishing praise on it, it still isn't quite The Nightfly - mind you, what is!

A bit like this album, Everything Must Go and Morph the Cat aren't instant hits on first play, but please persist with them, they're equally addictive Fagen/Dan albums. My one non-runner from MTC though, has to be the irritating Brite Nighgown ....urghhhhh.

4.0 out of 5 stars That Difficult (Solo) Second Album - Conquered at Last, 27 Aug. 2008
G. Don Fielder (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
To echo several other contributors on this page - no, it's not quite The Nightfly, so one can't give it five. Whilst being more soulful, laid-back and funky than that album, Kamakiriad has a slightly cheesy sound at times, especially on the first couple of tracks, attributable to the synthesised "brass", so typical of 80s recordings, whereas its predecessor had pretty much 100% real instruments. That said, the songs are as excellent as you'd expect, the beautiful Snowbound being one of his best ever and On the Dunes, with its lengthy, repetitious outro which you just don't want to end, making it worth the price of the CD by themselves. You don't get many DF albums to the pound. Or to the decade come to that. Buy before it's too late.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets you in the end, 5 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
If you are new to Donald Fagen - get Nightfly first; but be warned you may well then have to buy everything he ever did!

On first hearing, after Nightfly, I, along with many others, found Kamakiriad slightly disappointing. Persevere! This gets better and better.

The production is, as ever, very slick, and some people's initial reaction is that the music sounds a bit cheesy. But DF does write such great songs: once you get into this album the combination is irresistible. It contains some FAB songs.

Give it time ... you will be rewarded - "Here come Tomorrow's Girls"

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Quality Music, 18 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
Another beautiful album from this master musician. I didn't think that his first album The Nightfly could matched and I wasn't sure Kamakiriad did until I heard the superb Snowbound. Overall, this album takes longer to get into than his first but once you do it is simply excellent.

As usual with his and Steely Dan's albums the production is magnificent and the sound is still fresh and unique even after 13 years. It is a real feel good album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
Just bought this after jumping straight from 'the Nightfly' to 'Sunken Condos'. Why change a winning formula I guess, but have to say the progression is no more than incremental in the thirty years. That said, I'm no jazz expert so possibly the chords are now another 18 times more clever or something. And Kamakiriad is nicely funky, crafted, footsure. Those are good things I guess, but it's only the cynicism that leaks from every syllable of Fagen's delivery that keeps it soulful. For that I am grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last of the greatest?, 14 Mar. 2014
Sebastian Palmer "sebuteo" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
For me this is the end of Fagen's 'golden age', which began sometime during the lifetime of Steely Dan, and ends here. Like The Nightfly, Fagen rather self-consciously ties the album together with a fuzzy kind of concept: where Nightfly looked back, to a strangely cosy and optimistic take on the cold-war era, this album looks resolutely forward. The sci-fi bible was captured in the rather odd but charming video to the wonderful track Snowbound, in which Fagen's Head drives around a computer landscape.

The titular vehicle, or Kamakiriad, is a means of locomotion that is part retro '50s styling, and part forward thinking eco-motor: 'It's a total biosphere/ the farm in the back is hydroponic'! 'Tomorrow's Girls', 'a virus wearing pumps and pearls', are sexy alien invaders: 'Lord help the lonely guys, hooked by those hungry eyes'. This was the last time a whole album by Fagen really spoke to me on pretty much every track. From 'Trans Island Skyway' to 'Teahouse On The Tracks', via 'Florida Room' and 'On The Dunes', every track's a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic album, 28 April 2003
R. Duncan (Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
brilliant album... some people class this as just cheesy demo music, the type you hear at hi-fi shows and things like that because its so well produced, but theres some very well written and enjoyable pieces- Snowbound and Tomorrows Girls spring instantly to mind- once you've heard them, you're addicted to the album. Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular songs, production a little lacking, 3 Jun. 2014
Bill Fowler (Lincoln, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
The songs on this CD are all consistent and excellent - there just isn't a bad moment on the whole disc!

On an inferior MP3 device or PC I can understand the comments regarding production, but on a proper high end hi-fi system, the drums and crisp sound propel the music along relentlessly and infectiously. Having said that, after since hearing Morph the Cat, I realise how poor the sound on this is by comparison. But at least it's better than the horrible production quality on Sunken Condos!

Steely Dan were getting a bit tired and formulaic as time progressed and their last albums are good, but not brilliant unlike their earlier offerings. This, however, is a spectacularly good album and, if you are a Dan fan, you will love it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Kamakiriad
Kamakiriad by Donald Fagen (Audio CD - 1993)