5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff indeed

3.0 out of 5 stars average
Published on 16 Jan 2008 by Mr. Russell C. Witheyman

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff indeed, 28 July 2004
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
I'm by no means an expert on the musical career of the B-52's; Good Stuff is in fact the only B-52's album I own, but I think it's a great CD. The B-52's are nothing if not quirky, and this special characteristic is front and center on such tracks as Tell It Like It T-I-Is, the wonderfully fun, retro Hot Pants Explosion, and Is That You Mo-Dean? This album looked like it would make a big splash, as the single Good Stuff was quite popular upon its release; for some reason, though, the album just seemed to slip into oblivion after that. It's too bad because there are some surprisingly impressive tracks here: Revolution Earth, for example, is sort of a love song on a cosmic scale that has a soothing quality I can listen to again and again. Vision of a Kiss is another awesome song that I thought had the potential to be a big hit indeed.
There really is an element of the cosmic in B-52's music, one that soothes while it entertains, all the while communicating some serious messages (okay, not in every song, but definitely in some of them) that belie the group's fun-loving musical persona. The World's Green Laughter and Breezin' don't do much for me, but every other song on this album has a contagious quality that almost requires you to sing along and join the fun. Whenever I get this CD out, I end up listening to it over and over again for weeks on end, and it never fails to raise a smile even during the darkest of days. Maybe this isn't the group's best album, but it sure is a heck of a lot of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Jun 2008
Mr. R. J. MacRae "jayhawk2000" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
How to follow up the breakthrough success of COSMIC STUFF? That must have weighed heavily on the band, especially with Cindy Wilson deciding to sit this one out. Their first idea was to keep Nile Rodgers and Don Was as producers, whose funkiness perfectly suited their catchy harmonising, peppy lyrics and kooky songs.

The studio's idea was to release another LOVE SHACK as the first single, which meant...er, GOOD STUFF complete with RuPaul reprising her dance moves. The single was catchy enough, but strained and formulaic. The video looked a mess and the lyrics just didn't have the same punch. I gave up on the them for being too commercial and trying too hard by far.

Then college radio picked up on REVOLUTION EARTH and my faith was restored. What a gorgeous, uplifting track. I raced out for the album and was astounded at its overall quality. I could not believe HOT PANTS EXPLOSION was not released as the first single (I'm sure RuPaul was the inpsiration) which had the racy lyrics, zany performances and blistering retro-rock sound the band is loved for.

It's clear the studio lost faith in them because of the poor videos for TELL IT LIKE IT T-I-S and IS THAT YOU MO-DEAN, the other two outstanding party tracks which rank as some of the finest things they have ever done.

Ok, so BREEZIN' is classic filler and BAD INFLUENCE is poor relation to CHANNEL Z, but VISION OF A KISS revisits the haunting harmonies of Revolution Earth with a restrained lead vocal by Fred Schneider and the instrumental WORLD'S GREEN LAUGHTER maintains their environmental credentials (I missed the fact the Funplex album lacks an instrumental).

An essential purchase for anyone who appreciates funky and fun music, qualities which are so lacking in most of the poser pop, raunchy rap and electronic din which clutters the chart these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and varied Album, 1 Aug 2002
J. Mann - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this CD the past week and it is very enjoyable. There is more variety than I expected from a B-52's CD - 'Revolution Earth' and 'Dreamland' has lead vocals from Kate Pierson rather than Fred Schneider and 'The World's Green Laughter' is an instrumental with lots of samples from nature. The theme of much of the CD is the environment and nature and the pictures on the CD booklet follow a similar theme - however there are a number of exceptions, 'Hot Pants Explosion' is about hot pants and 'Is That you Mo-Dean?' is about UFOs - for example.
Personally I find Fred Schneider's vocals can get a bit tiresome so I was pleased to find he doesn't always take the lead. There are a lot of strong songs and Kate Pierson is an excellent vocalist. Strangely I was reminded of the Momas and the Papas when listening to this CD, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff the B52's, 16 Dec 2012
Mr. A. P. Stott (Lichfield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
I had this album years ago was never a big fan of the B52's, but, Ireally liked this particular album. it is fun to listen to,

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
My favourite B-52s release. Nine out of the ten tracks are absolutely superb. I'm affriad Mo-Dean doesn't do it for me, but the other nine are excellent. Particularly suited to in-car entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-octane fun, 13 Dec 2006
J. Ford "Hooly" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
Best way I can describe this CD: Kind of like a large, wild party in a rather small elevator. You can't avoid the fun so you've just gotta give in and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 1 Aug 2014
Best album they did

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 16 Jan 2008
This review is from: Good Stuff (Audio CD)
I'm a huge b-52's fan,have been for along time now. It pains me to say that Good stuff is probably the bands worst album. First off cindy wilson left the group temporarily after cosmic thing and she didnt feature on this at all. The tracks are in the same vain as the cosmic thing lp even so far as to employ don was and nile rodgers back as producers..why destroy a wiinning formula! well unfortunately the magic didnt strike twice and this collection sounds largely like outakes from the cosmic thing sessions. The tracks really didnt hit the mark and after the so so first single Good stuff the album swiftly tumbled down the charts.

Its not all bad,theer are some good tracks on here but just not there best. As i write this the 52's are back and are about to relese there first album in 15 yrs..the first sine this one actuallY and from what i've heard will be a return to form.

If your new to the b52's get wild planet,cosmic thing first..then whammy and so on but leave this till last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Oct 2014
Very good

Good Stuff
Good Stuff by B-52's (Audio CD - 1992)