5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and passionate
Published on 13 Feb 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars CD
Bought this CD for the song "Calling All Angels" which is a really lovely song, so I was disappointed when the other songs weren't anything like this song.
Published 14 months ago by Teresa Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and passionate, 13 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
I was astounded that nobody had already written a review of this masterpiece. This is one of my most cherished albums and I feel that as I grew to love the music it allowed another part of me to develope and gain a deeper perspective of my life. Jane goes deep under the surface and examines the human condition as it really is without the cliches that usually come hand in hand with songs about love, loss and longing.
This is a work to experience as a whole as it sort of reveals itself organically, although songs like 'Calling All Angels' and 'Sail Across The Water' (co-produced by Brian Eno) will instantly appeal. Other seemingly more complex songs like the improvised 'Sweet Incarnadine' and 'The Vigil' will stir something deep down within you - breaking your heart whilst providing some assurance with their strangely uplifting after effect.
Please get this album, I fear that so many people are missing out on her music and vision because they're scared off by the 'alternative' label given her by critics when purely and simply her music comes from the heart .

5.0 out of 5 stars Sibbery is just Divine, 19 Dec 2005
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
I bought this after hearing the song Calling all Angels on the film Pay it forward. This song keeps me afloat when the tides of reality rise!
At first I thought the other tracks were a bit weird..not what I was expecting...but then after a few listens I started to really get where she was coming from.
Very unusual and very different from the norm.
If you like songs that talk to the soul listen to this album! Its a good one for playing late at night on your own. Not background elevator music! Music for thinking to...

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCEPTIONAL ALBUM FOR A SUBLIME SONGSTRESS, 24 Feb 2007
L. WILLIAMS "LINDSAY WILLIAMS" (CHESHIRE, ENGLAND United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
This is indeed an exceptional album!

I bought this album after hearing 2 of Siberry's songs covered by KD Lang on her "hymns of the 49th parallel" and in my ignorance was expecting a rather gentle 'country' album.

How wrong I was!! Instead I was totally overwhelmed by the innovative artistic content of this work. The strength of personality and remarkable vocal quality come through in each song - rather reminiscent of Kate Bush's very individual style! Siberry sings about the 'big stuff' in life - Love, Passion, Faith, Loss, Pain and Spirituality. The sublime quality of the vocal improvisation of "Sweet Incarnadine" is breath taking and the raw emotional power which comes through to the listener on 'The Vigil' is simply heartbreaking.

All the songs have a beautifully lyric quality and there are uplifting ballads too: 'Calling all angels' and "Love is everything' have beatiful melodic line. There's also Siberry at her most sensual - the powerful rhythmic quality of "The Temple" and "Sail across the water" are all extremely enjoyable songs. In fact there isn't a bad song on this album. Definitely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual & uplifting, 4 Mar 2002
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
This is an incredibly beautiful and uplifting collection of songs, from the enchanting Calling All Angels through the structurally complex Sweet Incarnadine, the haunting Gospel According to Darkness, the sad but comforting The Vigil to the eerie Beginning Of Time. It may sound sad but the music has a very spiritual and transcendent quality that is good for the soul. Other great tracks besides those I have already mentioned include Love Is Everything, Sail Across The Water & Love Is Everything (harmony version). The brilliance of this album prompted me to investigate the rest of her work, all of which I rate highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars life, the universe, and everything, 27 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
It's all here. If ever there was an album that encompassed life as a whole, this is The One. Words fail. Listen. Be transported.
Before there were waves...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 24 Jun 2005
Be A Santa c/o Pat Tallman (Canoga Park, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
This CD is one of my all time favourites.I've only recently bought this but it has never left my CD player since. It's hard to pick out one song as they all touch so many emotions within you. For any Jane Siberry fan or someone new coming to her music it's a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like staring at your Soul, 9 Aug 2004
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
Listen to this alone, an autumn evening, when it's raining outside and you're not quite sure about something. Every now and then an album comes along and finds its way inside you. Not everyone will 'get it' but Jane Siberry's lightness of touch is capable of helping shape the way you look at the world. This, I feel, is her best album to date and a favourite of mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love that Girl when she was a boy, 7 Mar 2014
Ruby Rocket "Ruby" (Gwynedd, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
Conceptual and melancholic this is a fantastic album that I can listen to on a loop without getting fed up. Produced by Brian Eno and with finely crafted songs, Jane Siberry's voice is stunning and warm and inventive. It is an uplifting distillation of human suffering and experience which is intimate, sincere, enlightening and sexy.
I had the opportunity to see J.S. in a small gathering of about 50 in Brynrefail, North Wales and although her style was different to this earlier album she carries the vein of honesty, playfulness and skill throughout her repertoire. She is a genuine, interesting and spontaneous artist of consummate skill in voice, piano and guitar, I just love her!

5.0 out of 5 stars love is everything, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
this song alone love is everything (two versions) is worth buying the album for. I don't understand how this woman is not better known in this country original and special.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD review, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: When I Was a Boy (Audio CD)
This I'd a good cd , track from film pass it on is called calling all angels is absolutely amazing so full of emotion what a voice

When I Was a Boy
When I Was a Boy by Jane Siberry (Audio CD - 1993)