5.0 out of 5 stars My Bloody Valentine - The redefinition of noise, twenty years on
Have really 20 years past since Kevin Shields and co firmly planted the sonic terror "Loveless" into the hands of Alan McGee at Creation Records? The record owner had by that time been driven to distraction working with the band and promptly dropped them from the label. He has attacked them ever since describing their reunion in 2008 as "nostalgic cabaret" and has...
Published on 20 Nov 2011 by Red on Black

1.0 out of 5 stars after all this time... manufacturing errors?
this is my favorite album of all time, so the music is worthy of 5 stars, but what is inexcusable to me is that in the 3+ years this project has been in the works, no one has bothered to do even basic quality control.

the labels on the discs are reversed -- as noted in other reviews. even more egregious -- also as noted in other reviews -- is the fact that...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by too_old_to_be_so_indie

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of overrated..., 2 Feb 2001
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
If you think you are into the thing called "shoegazing" you might find some gems on this album. But if I had my pick, I'd choose Ride's "Nowhere" EVERY day. It is simply a 5 star album. Loveless I can only give 3...

1.0 out of 5 stars lightweight, 18 Nov 2008
G. R. Gray (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
I first bought this record when it originally came out following rave reviews at the time. I was scratching my head back then, wondering if I'd missed something, 'cos it's just strum-a-long indie pop with weird guitar effects. Best part of two decades later I still think the emperor has no clothes. I think the whining pitch of it's clinging sound is like a needy adolescent: kinda intriguing, but ultimately limited and frustrating, with nothing really to say yet. Talented yes, but I just want people to be wary of the masterpiece spin going on hear.

3.0 out of 5 stars 40% genius, 60% unlistenable., 14 May 2009
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
This is NOT one of the best albums of the 90's!
If you can sit through all the din on it there are a few stand out tracks though.
Worth hearing but not the masterpiece it's cracked up to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Look ma! No earplugs!, 10 April 2009
Nifi Seti (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
All notion of talent is historical, but some people certainly rely much more on contextual receptivity than voluntaristic genius. MBV are the former. Just like Mozart's 2nd rate elevator work hypnotized his contemporaries who basically wanted music to sound pretty and dainty while they ate bonbons and powdered their wigs, MBV released a record during an age where, mindboggingly, people were willing to hear anything that sounded like apathy, but loud. Blame it on the fall of the Berlin wall, but these people really wanted music that asked no questions and made no statements.

People have defined Loveless as aural androgyny, but passive-agressive neuroticism is more the case. Imagine Tony Soprano's mother if she were amplified till her negativity feedbacked into a permanent state of numbing aggression. Strip it of meaning and you're pretty much there.

MBV managed to be formally formless and cashed in on the public's perennial willingness to digest abstract ideas as long as they sounded anti. MBV simply decided to make everything wrong: psychedelia was no longer a trip to a distant quasar but to your navel. Punk rock was no longer a loud scream but an over-amplified sigh. Acid House was no longer dance music but a swing-your-head siren lull. You can't really do much to this music, whether it's singalong, get angry or shake your hips. You simply witness.

Some people think this is the apex of music: music as music, pure music, a religious experience, the sublime that blows you away.

Others like me simply keep powdering their wigs and eating bonbons.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 4 Jan 2009
Reading previous postings I suppose you either like this or loathe it. I am of the latter and not ashamed to admit it. It is overrated, poorly produced, white boy fuzzy pop whinging - in my opinion. It reminds me of the 25 minute whale sing-a-thon captured on Pink Floyd's Echoes. And I'd rather listen to that any day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult for the sake of it!, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
I'd heard great things about this band, so I was expecting something pretty special. To be honest, this album was a bit of a let-down. I thought from the band name that they'd sound a bit like My Chemical Romance, how wrong I was! I believe in giving things a fair chance so I did listen to this all the way through but if I'm being honest there wasn't anything that stood out or grabbed me. To be fair, the playing is pretty good and occasionally there's a good bit (when all the feedbacking has stopped for 10 seconds!), but most of it is just intentionally difficult and pretty painful on the ears!

If you want to seem "clever" in front of your "cool" friends, you'll probably say you love it. It's no wonder to me that the guy from this band did the music for the experimental film Lost in Translation. This album could have done with being translated to - into something better!

1.0 out of 5 stars "You can't polish a turd!", 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
Over twenty years ago, I got the "Ecstasy and Wine" ep's, brilliant, loved them, re-bought them on cd. When this came out a few years later, my girlfriend at the time had already heard it and said it was "A turd". I finally bought it last week(after decades of wondering if she was wrong) and God don't you hate it when your ex is right.......Just found out I have to give it a star to show my review.

1.0 out of 5 stars amusing, 20 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
This is unpleasent noise from start to finish. It's got some ok melodies, but its not harmonic, it doesnt make you feel like your floating away, its not timeless, it's not... er... very good. If you don't consider yourself a music buff, and you're mildly curious, please be warned. Imagine a tape you had that had some nice, but rather inconsequential, tunes, and one day it tore up. From then on you'd be listening to a recording where you could still hear the occasional snippet or hint of a tune, but mostly it was reduced to cacophony. Imagine your frustration. If you want to replicate this feeling, buy this. Pointless. And remember, you don't have to say you like this and that you respect such works of studio experimentation just to impress your mates.

Loveless
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine (Audio CD - 1991)