on 31 December 2001
listening to this album for the first time in years i,d forgotten(or had,nt realised) how brilliant it is.the classic rock,n,roll of i wanna live,bop till you drop and i know better now mixed with (beach boys)real cool time (bay city rollers)bye bye baby,the monster munch go lil camera go,garden of serenity with the gothic backing vocals and lose my mind another brilliant dee dee punk bash make this underated and probably forgotten ramones record better than most bands best album.dont beleve the critics and some of the fans every ramones album is essential.
on 19 December 2000
If there was such a thing as a forgotten Ramones album, it would be this. Not one which tops any da brudders fans' "best of" polls of Ramones albums, Halfway to Sanity nevertheless contains a few gems - though it is also patchy and downright contradictory in places.
Kicking off defiantly with "I Wanna Live", the Ramones 10th studio album quickly hits its stride. Side one never lets up the pace - Joey's unique tones perfectly complemented all the way through by Johnny's trademark punk-guitar delivery. However, the brudder with the greatest influence is Dee Dee, who takes songwriting credit for most of the songs. The ultracore "I lost My Mind" (on which Dee Dee also takes on the vocals) and "I'm Not Jesus" are stunning. By contrast, Joey's more pop orientated pieces such as "Real Cool Time" and "Bye Bye Baby" disappoint somewhat. "Death of Me" seems to hint at a Ramones middle-age crisis as Joey feels that too many late nights and the morning after are taking their toll. Brighter spots are when NY bosom buddy Debbie Harry lends a welcome vocal or two on "Go lil Camaro Go" and the album finishes strongly with "Worm Man" - though the final refrain of "I Wish I was Dead, I Wish I was Dead" seems a complete contradiction of the opening track.
Not a "Rocket to Russia" by any means - but the Ramones average albums are still better than most peoples' best.
on 13 August 2004
Pretty much maligned by critics and some fans,I reckon the album stands up pretty well.It's got the lot!Terrific chugga-chugga guitars on Bop 'til You Drop,choruses that are scorched on to your brain after one listen(check out A Real Cool Time,a Ramones gem)and a fabulous turn from Joey on Bye Bye Baby.Debbie Harry throws in a few "oooh ooohs" on Go Lil' Camara Go and Dee Dee belts out the frantic punker I Lost My Mind.A couple of tracks find the band on automatic pilot(notably I know Better Now and I'm Not Jesus)but let's face it,da Brudders on cruise control are head and shoulders above most bands!Play Loud!!
on 20 November 2015
The life and career of the Ramones is often discussed from it's very early days playing in CBGB's and creating a sound that would later be recognized as punk. To the last gig they played in 1996 when the Ramones popularity increased thanks to younger bands of the time crediting their influence.

But in the mid to late eighties was a difficult time to be a Ramone. With the concept of any commercial success a distant thought and memory. This album is often the forgotten release and fans opinion is split. I know punknews.org did a highly negative one-star review on this record and stating that Richie Ramone was the worst Ramone.

The fact is that this was very much a strong release with well written tracks and overall consistency with a few weak moments. But after Too Tough to Die and the previous record Animal Boy both containing some Ramones classics and decent charting. Halfway to Sanity might seem a weaker release on first appearance.

But Halfway to Sanity shows new aspects of sound and shape of songs. The intro of I Wanna Live with the combination of the lead guitar creates new areas for the Ramones. With the first 7 tracks simply being untouchable until the incredibly weak ‘I Lost My Mind’. Songs like Garden of Serenity, Death of Me, Go Lil' Camaro Go are often overlooked Ramones gems that I think are worthy of a bit more attention with many other examples on this album.

Some often complain about this being a Ramones heavy metal album or heavier sound. But people seem to miss that very observation of 1989’s Brain Drain. This albums material is better than Subterranean Jungle and the production is better than Pleasant Dreams. The Second half of the album is as strong as the first with only the last track ‘Worm Man’ bringing a disappointing finish to a strong well-rounded release.

It goes down as the worst Ramones track committed to tape but that does not dampen the strength and spirit of Halfway to Sanity.
on 24 January 2016
Superb, love it!
Bought this CD back in April and finally just got round to giving it a chance. Bought some AKG 550 Mk II headphones recently and using heavily, they are wonderful.
Contrary to other reviews, there's no Heavy Metal here apart from a riff or 2 on I Not Jesus. Peeps are mistaking the sound of hard core punk as heavy metal.
Someone slated the final track 'Worm Man'.... dunno why as Iggy Raw Power album springs to mind.
"I lost My Mind"....... haha... play it about 10 times... I did, love it now.
"Bye Bye Baby".... Love it! It sounds like it's gonna go somewhere but never does. Oh well, maybe that's why I like it lol
I (honestly) bought the 1st Ramones album on day of release and can only beg anyone who's into Ramones to give this "forgotten about" album a chance. Marvelous Stuff!!!
on 20 March 2016
one of the best Ramones albums.
on 10 June 2015