Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 March 2008
The two other reviews here well describe both the music and the circumstances of this albums release. What I would like to just add here however is that for this album - as well as the remastering to the 5.1 surround sound - the songs themselves are slightly different to the (or at least my) original cd. The very first time I played this version, on 'Making Flippy Floppy' I thought - "I don't remember that bit" and this continued through. Five of the tracks are extended - most by about a minute and a half - and this is not unwelcome. Speaking In Tongues is probably my personal favourite album of Talking Heads and this version just enhances my appreciation - and the addition of the extra track 'Two Note Swivel' fits in well too. Full marks!
on 13 February 2011
From a great CD emerges a brilliant 5.1 mix. This is one of a rare breed of re-masters which are actually transformed by a 5.1 mix. Instruments are separated and presented in a rock-solid sound-stage. Favourite track is "Making Flippy Floppy" but nothing on this disc let's the side down. I was encouraged to buy two more Talking Heads re-masters but Speaking In Tongues is the best so far. David Byrne's vocals are superb and the meaty bass gets your feet tapping from the start. Great music, great value.
on 29 April 2006
Well, I've definitely revised my view of this album which I used to think was one of the lesser albums in their canon. I used to think that the live album "Stop Making Sense" contained better versions of some these songs but now I'm not so sure. Taking on its own merit this is a joyous slab of skewed funk. It's strange how Talking Heads haven't really got the credit they deserve and unlike some of their contemporaries (Gang Of Four, Wire etc.) aren't routinely thought of as an influence to current bands. And yet given the quality of their back catalogue ( with the probable exception of their last album "Naked") there's a good case for claiming that they are a contender for best band of the eighties . Kicking off with 'Burning Down The House', you would have thought it couldn't get any better but it does. 'Making Flippy Floppy' with it's squelchy synth and relentless funk obviously owes a debt to Funkadelic/Parliament but listening to it is sheer unbridled joy. 'Girlfriend Is Better' is peerless pop and then you've got 'Slippery People' with it's Staple Singers gospel groove. So four tracks in and it's 5 stars already but the quality doesn't dip, ending as it does with the killer one-two of Pull Up The Roots and the gorgeous "This Must Be The Place".

The extra tracks on the first CD aren't essential although "Two Note Swivel" starts off promising but runs out of steam. And I'm sorry but I can't comment on the 5.1 DVD surround sound version (due to hardware poverty) but it's nice to have the videos for "Burning Down The House" and "This Must Be The Place" available. Could have done with more comprehensive sleveenotes though.

The songs on here are relatively streamlined compared to the over the top (but brilliant with it) kitchen sinkness of "Remain In Light". "Remain In Light" might indeed be the high watermark of the Talking Head albums but it really is time to reassess the less feted later albums. "Little Creatures" (which, strangely for such a well established band, was a lot of people's first taste of Talking Heads) was very good and "True Stories", whilst not up to the same standard, is still worth having. But this is brilliant. Listening to the gloriousy melodic choruses and relentless grooves it's been a revelation to me (as was the new version of "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads")as to how uniformly strong this album is.
on 11 May 2016
Had to return 2 albums. There is clearly a problem with the pressing, it was jumping on the same tracks on both albums. Now purchased the same album second hand and there are no issues. Can't see the point in having a record if it skips all the time.
on 15 June 2012
First off, I've only been listening to the Heads for a few months but once I heard "77", I fell in love and went out and bought all of their albums. Of course, I bought the original CDs, but just recently I was able to purchase the remastered discs. Now onto "Speaking in Tongues". I LOVE this album. It is my favorite Talking Heads album, with "Remain in Light" being a close second. The first 3 songs on "Tongues" are worth the price of admission. They get me dancing every time I listen to them. This is the Heads at their absolute funkiest, and the whole album has a happy, groovy energy about it that never dies out. If someone can listen to it in 2012 and love it like I do, then it has very well stood the test of time. A true classic in my book.

The remastered CD is a HUGE improvement over the original 1983 CD. There are so many new sounds to be heard, many of which I couldn't hear in the 1983 CD. There's way more depth to each song, and the awesome remastering job just makes it all the more enjoyable. There is one con about it though: none of the tracks are the same volume, and I've had this issue with the other remastered CDs as well except for "More Songs About Buildings and Food". It starts out with "Burning Down the House", which is loud enough, but "Making Flippy Floppy" is much louder, as is "Girlfriend Is Better". "Slippery People" is a little lower, and "Swamp" is the same volume as "Burning Down the House". Then "Moon Rocks" goes right back into "Making Flippy Floppy"'s volume. It disappoints me that the volume levels of these songs are not consistent because they were able to do it right with "More Songs". Still, it isn't that bad of an issue considering how much better it sounds compared to the original. I have no problem turning the volume up and down on my CD player.

So in conclusion, I recommend you buy this product because it's probably better than the Dualdisc, and it's definitely better than the original CD. Just expect to be fiddling with the volume control a lot.
on 24 January 2013
Another fine (and currently good value) CD + DVD set from Talking Heads with very good surround sound using an 'ordinary' DVD player. OK it's not the album that 'Remain in Light' is (see my review) and while it is maybe musically repetitive it is so infectious and funky you don't care. 'Girlfriend Is Better' is particularly catchy. It's worth getting before it becomes stupidly priced like some of their other sets.
on 8 April 2016
A really good album from Talking heads, would make a great introduction to the band/David Burn. With an eclectic range of musical influences this punk group have made a permanent contribution to modern music.
Easy to approach and listen to, I can fully recommend this album for anyone interested in 80s chart-topping tracks.
on 29 January 2016
A great, classic album, sadly let down by some issues with the pressing it appears. On just the first track, "Burning Down The House", the stylus skips about time and again. Despite cleaning the LP thoroughly, it hasn't cleared the problem fully.

Seriously considering returning it, which is a shame.
on 21 December 2015
A Follow up to 'Remain In Light' would always be difficult. Apparently this sold more copies than the former. It has a similar funky beat of RIL but not so cutting or original, the writing style reminds me of Fear Of Music. So far I have played this album twice so to be fair I'll have to give it a few more listens.
on 24 January 2014
Excellent Remaster! Everything you loved in the old one, but more-so!
Deeper Bass, more three dimensional sound, less flat. Still snappy and awesome.
Awesome for the kids too… no "bad words"