5.0 out of 5 stars ...Fear of Words

1.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Wheel review
Published on 14 July 2011 by Rob

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Fear of Words, 16 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Score From The Broadway Production Of 'the Catherine (Audio CD)
Originally written as the accompanying score to a dance production in 1981, David Byrne's second non-Talking Heads venture ( the Brian Eno collaberation 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts' was released earlier that year) carries on in the same musical vein as the previous years 'Remain in Light'; combining repetitive funk structures and experimental electronica with african styled polyrhythms.
'The Catherine Wheel' contains a few scattered pop songs ("His Wife Refused", "Poison", "My Big Hands (fall through the cracks)" ) but most of the album consists of cleverly-crafted instrumental pieces (featuring the combined talents of several musicians, including: Jerry Harrison, Bernie Worrell, Steve Scales and Brian Eno) which are always more than merely incidental. The music has greater clarity and precision than that of 'RIL', leaving the dense electronic textures of the Eno production, whilst maintaining its taught, propulsive, stuttering rhythms combined with a fresher, lighter touch provided by Byrne as producer.
Byrne's 'sound over sense' approach to lyrics results in the usual disconnected, non-linear array of words remaining intreguing without ever bordering on irritatingly obtuse. He suggests abstract phrases and then turns them inside out ("..They're moving forward and back, They're moving backwards and front") on "What a Day That Was" a track perhaps better known, along with another "Big Business", for its inclusion in the concert film 'Stop Making Sense'.
The Eno influence of 'Bush of Ghosts' can be heard on "The Red House" with its use of manipulated 'found vocals' and on "Eggs in the Priar Patch" where Byrne resumes his 'radio preacher' persona ("Lord I been such a bad boy .....unsaved people don't have any means of deliverance")
Although technically David Byrne's first solo work, the appeal of this album will mainly lie with Talking Heads fans of this period,as it sounds more like a TH album (despite the absence of the husband and wife rhythm section ; Weymouth and Frantz created the 'Tom Tom Club' that year) than any of Bryne's subsequent solo releases; appearing as something between a stripped-down version of 'RIL' or a blueprint for 1983's 'Speaking in Tongues'.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Side Project, 29 Dec 2003
Christopher Hunter "cjhunter2001uk" (Farnham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
When 'Catherine Wheel' was released it got a right pasting in most of the popular music press, which is a real shame because it's very good. This makes an excellent accompaniment to 'My Life in the Bush of Ghost'. Twyla Tharp, for whom this work was originally written, was reported to have considered it one of the most difficult works of music she had ever had to choreograph.
The work awards repeated listening. It is dark, dense and occasionally difficult but there are passages of funk, ambience and African rhythms to hang your hat on. It is one of the records I come back to on a regular basis for inspiration. In the same year Jerry Harrison, keyboard player with Talking Heads, released a solo album titled 'The Red and the Black' which I also recommend as an interesting comparison to the solo work of Byrne, as both explore rhythmic expression, though Harrison's work ties into political themes more heavily then Byrne.
Both Harrison's and Byrne's work in this year really underpin where Talking Heads were musically in the early 80's and adds new dimensions to an interesting and experiemental time. An important and under-rated record, well worth purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I nearly wet myself!, 23 April 2010
Karel Bata (London (a posh bit)) - See all my reviews
I vividly remember the TV broadcast of the Twyla Tharp ballet, of which this is the soundtrack. What an event. I so loved the album, but regretted the poor woolly sound mix. This has now been fixed, and wow! It sounds crystal clear and sports lots of extra tracks, all of them gems and beefing the album up to 72 minutes of aural ecstasy.

I'd forgotten how genuinely weird Byrne was. If you liked Bush of Ghosts or Remain in Light then get this! It's a fantastic album - beautiful, compelling, and strangely edgy.

Then go checkout the DVD of the Twyla Tharp ballet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 29 Sep 2009
B. Ramaekers "Bruno" (Europe) - See all my reviews
Whether you like the colaboration Byrne/Eno in ' My life in the bush of ghosts' or the Talking Head albums like 'Remain in light' or 'Speaking in Tongues', this is a must-have as it shows where it all started.
Songs like 'Eggs in a briar patch', 'Poison', ' My big hands' are powered with drums and basses as you find them on these other albums, strong lyrics.
It's sometimes hard to understand how the choreographer Twyla Tharp managed to produce a broadway show with this music...therefor a real pity, I never saw the show.
I would say : buy it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm is gonna get you!!, 16 Nov 2008
I'm with pavementor on this one - you can intellectualise this all you like but if it moves you, what does it matter? This has some killer rhythms on it, courtesy of one Yogi Horton (R.I.P.) whose drumming is phenomenally supple and fluid and, as pavementor so rightly points out, 'Music from...' suits a variety of moods.
I've heard this album panned by some but can't understand why, often it's people for whom anything non-mainstream is out of their comfort zone. Some of my favourite albums started out as ones I wasn't sure I liked at all.
Anyhow, if you've got to this page you must be nominally interested, so take the plunge and enter a world of rhythms which are at least as infectious as Gloria Estefan,s!

1.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Wheel review, 14 July 2011
I purchased this because I had the vinyl version many years ago but it got lost in the moves. I used to think it was an excellent album but now I cannot think why, there are a few good tracks but the CD version has extra tracks...a sort of value added crap which can be painful to listen to...the vinyl version is less painful to listen to but it does make me question my tastes of yesteryear.
I did a similar thing with an album called Space Ritual by Hawkwind...it was music I used to trip to years ago. I saw it on CD years later and jumped a buying it....god is it awful. Maybe I am trying to recapture my youth in the throws of a mid life crisis but take it from me folks. If it sounded excellent then...leave it then. Buying it again only spoils it.