Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 November 2000
From the breakneck reading of the old soul classic, "6345789" right through to the slow sexy burn of the final "Never make your move too soon" this album has all the elements that made me a Cooder fan twenty odd years ago. His slide guitar playing alone justifies the price, but when you add sidemen of the stature of Jim Keltner, Tim Drummond, Reggie McBride and John Hiatt (also check out the eponymous "Little Village" album featuring Cooder, Keltner, Hiatt and England`s Nick Lowe)you have a formula for musical magic. My favourite track is the latin-tinged reading of 1930`s-vintage "(Every woman I know is) Crazy `bout an automobile" A word of warning: Cooder is VERY addictive: buy this and you`ll want more!
on 21 September 2005
This is a great straight rock album featuring some great musicians including Jim Keltner on drums, Tim Drummond on bass. John Hiatt of "Riding with the King" also contributes.
All numbers are short rocky numbers with catchy tunes. Each track is great.
"Every woman I know, Crazy 'bout an automobile, and here I am standing with nothin' but rubber heels!" stands out.
After listening to "The Girls From Texas" you may take care to get involved with sweet Texan girls. All songs have a humorous side.
Buy, you will not be disappointed.
(Note that this has little to do with Buena Vista Social Club, which is a great album about Cuban music brought about by Ry Cooder)
on 11 July 2011
I'm very pleased with this remastered copy I received last week, which is hard to get. Compared to the 1980's issue which is available in Europe this version sounds superb. It's worth every penny I've paid for it.
on 27 March 2010
One of Ry's best albums without doubt. Loads of singers can't sing, Johnny Cash couldn't sing, but albums like this and artists like this aren't being compared to Charlotte Church after all. This is a brilliant album and a fine introduction to Ry's music -you won't be disappointed - and even if you were it will have cost you little for the risk. Take it!
on 3 May 2013
The choice of material on this record leads me to prefer it to its more lauded predecesor "Bop Till You Drop". Like many of Ry's Covers, "634-5789" is the best version of the song I've heard.I never used to think it was possible to improve on an origional till I heard Ry Cooder...

"Down on The Boondocks" has a nice drifters Saturday night 50's feel to it.The Instrumental track "Borderline" is great - so VERY Ry Cooder - could have been used in a film soundtrack...

"Girls From Texas" is really funny - I smile every time I listen to it."Never Make Your Move too soon" has a great low down and dirty groove - pure R'n B (real R'n'B that is!). It is however tarnished by one of the worst recorded guitar sounds that Ry has ever committed to record - thin and tinny with absolutley no sustain.

This is the only drawback to the album. If only he had his suped up Stratocaster with the lap steel / teisco pickups when he recorded this. I'd give the album 6 stars then!

As with "Bop Till You Drop" , you will really hear Ry open up with his guitar playing on live versions of these songs... this album is still an essential Ry Codder purchase though...
on 20 December 2013
I bought this album when it first came out, it was never off my turntable.
Now it is on my MP3 Player and it is a classic.
Blues, country and rock, "Borderline" has it all.
on 29 April 2016
Another one I got for my Brother very Happy with it I'm pleased to say,fast delivery.Thank You.(keep forgetting to write reviews)😊
on 26 July 2010
I had this in vinyl form many years ago after seeing the film and wanted the CD. What can you say about Ry Cooder? He steeps himself sympathetically in Latin culture, works with top indigenous musicians and creates something wonderful.
on 9 July 2014
Genuine, straight forward music. As someone else said, Ry Cooder is very addictive.
on 30 December 2014
Good....but not as good as "Bop til you Drop".