Format: Audio CDChange

on 30 March 2001
This, the eponymous debut album from the former Fleetwood Mac roadie, took the Grammys by storm in 1980, winning awards for Best Album, Best Song and Best Record for the US chart-topping "Sailing", and won Cross the coveted Best New Artist award as well.
It oozes sheer adult-oriented radio class throughout, doubtless helped by ex-Doobie Brother Michael McDonald and Eagles' Don Henley and John David Souther helping out on backing vocals, amongst other luminaries from the 1980's session musician school, who turned up "just to play on the album".
Stand-out tracks, apart from the Grammy winner, include "I Really Don't Know Anymore" where the interplay between Cross, McDonald and Larry Carlton on guitar is as flawless as it is seamless, another single "Ride Like the Wind" where McDonald and Cross again trade harmonies to the manner born, and, for me, the stand-out track "The Light Is On" where Cross collaborates vocally with onetime-Eagles Don Henley and John David Souther, and it comes as no suprise that the track is good enough to have graced an Eagles album - if only!
The songs are mainly about life ("The Light Is On"), love ("Say You'll Be Mine") and touring as a performer ("Minstrel Gigolo") and the album as a whole is tuneful, well-crafted and very pleasant to listen to, especially after a hard day at work - in short, more that the sum of its parts, and a pointer to all that was to follow including the massive "Arthur's Theme".
If you like your AOR from the USA like this, do give the album a listen - I think you'll like it.
0Comment33 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 30 June 2004
Recorded in 1979, the eponymous debut album by Christopher Cross marked the absolute pinnacle of American AOR (adult oriented rock).
With sugar sweet melodies, interplay between top musicians and vocalists and a set of songs almost all strong enough to be singles, you have a veritable classic on your hands.
And a classic it is, there is simply no dud tracks here, just a seamless cruise through 9 fantastic tracks which pull gently at the heartstrings with gentle brush strokes of emotion.
In a world where chill out seems to have become synonymous with bland background music, I would strongly suggest that anyone looking for a wonderful soundtrack to a romantic evening, buys a copy of this album, pours a couple of glasses of wine and let's Christopher Cross do the rest. You'll melt, I guarantee it.
on 10 February 2010
Had searched for this CD in stores but could not find it. Was delighted to find it on Amazon. It was as good as I remembered it as I had the L.P. in the good old days! I still remembered the word to most of the songs! Re-live good times and enjoy. I would highly recommend.
on 29 October 2011
Few artists have broken onto the scene like Christopher Cross did in 1980 - nor disappeared just as quickly a few years laters. Listening to this debut once again is like re-acquainting yourself with an old friend, and is a powerful reminder of just how he deserved his Grammy haul. The opener "Say You Will Be Mine" is great west-coast pop (with the wonderful Nicolette Larson on backing vocals), "I Really Don't Know Anymore" is the smash that never was (Michael Macdonald's management blocked it as a follow-up to "Ride Like The Wind" as it also featured Michael and they felt he was being taken advantage of), "Ride Like The Wind" is a brilliant, evocative single, as is the peaceful, reflective "Sailing". What marks the album out, though, is the depth - no filler, just great song after great song, and a brilliant slice of laid-back US soft-rock. Buy this, download "Arthur's Theme" and you have the cream of Christopher Cross.
on 28 August 2013
I bought this album for my ex-husband, when it first came out. I always loved the album and decided to buy it for myself. Having listened to it again, I still love every track.
on 12 November 2013
I had this on cassette in the early 80's. Ilistening to it again brought back some lovely memories. So glad I bought it.
on 7 October 2013
just lovely music from the seventies which takes you right back there - just as good as ever and very enjoyable
on 6 September 2014
Everyone raved about this when it came out. I still like it largely because it has tunes and you can sing along with it if you are of that sort of mind!
Buying it on CD rather than my now old record (its a bit like owning 78's showing your age) but I guess sooner or later there won't be any CD's either.
on 19 May 2012
I bought this album on vinyl when it first came out and played it endlessly. Unfortunately when my record deck gave out some 10 years ago I never replaced it in digital format. Someone reminded me of the the Album a few days ago so I was pleased that Amazon stocked it. I am listening to it as I write this review and it sounds as fresh as when I heard it for the first time all those years ago with the soulfull voices of Chris & Mike McDonald. Despite being a great musician and songwriter I always thought his other albums were never to the same standard as shown in this early promise. However I think this album stands the test of time and even if it is the only album you ever buy of his work I dont think you will be dissapointed. They say that the music we listen to is the window of our lives; thanks for the memories.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2013
This is an album full of great melodies ,fine musicianship ( featuring several ace session people )and excellent production .Some of the aforementioned guest musicians include guitarists Larry Carlton and Eric Johnson and also vocalist Michael McDonald .My own personal favourites featured here would include 'I Really Don't Know Anymore' ,'The Light is On' , 'Poor Shirley' and my favourite song 'Sailing' .Many people will be aware that 'Ride Like the Wind' is also included on this album .There really aren't any weak tracks here and the whole album possesses a warm feel that holds things together wonderfully successfully as a well rounded piece of work.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse