5.0 out of 5 stars Just as great (if not greater) than Rumours
Every critic will tell you that Mcvie, Nicks and Buckingham were at their writing peak during the Rumours album. However, I would definitely disagree. The songs on this album are some of the finest ever written in Mac history.

Published on 14 Jan 2011 by JamesN

3.0 out of 5 stars buy the double this has edits on it
Published 22 months ago by Mr. R. G. Prizeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as great (if not greater) than Rumours, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)

Although it came under scrutiny in 1979 for being over-preduced and too experimental, it is nothing compared to the wacky and disturbingly wierd albums on the market today. Despite this fact, the experimental tracks are all those of Buckinghams, which I consider to be fantastic, particularly 'The Ledge', 'Walk a thin Line' and 'I Know I'm Not Wrong'. Also, besides 'Sisters of the Moon', Brown Eyes and possibly Angel, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie's efforts on this album could have been cut on the Rumours album... they follow the same west-coast feel.

Each song on this album is a masterpiece; it may take a few listens to get into it, but I'm certain once you do, you will appreciate how multi-layered it is. From Buckingham's Clash inspired 'Not that funny', to Nicks's tear jerkinglly beautiful ballad 'Storms'- there is something for everyone on here- it's a rock classic and a masterpiece: a must have for any music fan

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of all time, 8 Feb 2005
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
An absolutely startlingly brilliant record. If you tend to go for 'alternative bands', then I can do nothing but recommend this masterpiece. And if you've pigeon-holed Fleetwood Mac as an OK but MOR rock/pop band then you seriously need to pick this one up. It's so strong, and so avant garde, that I suspect you may need to re-evaluate that assumption. It has a texture and unpredictability like nothing else I have ever heard. And if you're anything like me, you'll find yourself buying the rest of their records in the hope you'll find more of the same (which you never quite will, though its spirit occasionaly rises where you least expect it) !!!!
REM, The Smashing Pumpkins, DJ Shadow, and The Strokes to name a few have listed this record as an influence. Camper Van Beethoven actually covered the whole album. You don't get a better and more varied recommendation than that.
This is Fleetwood Mac with the gloss torn back and their hearts on their sleeves. This is what happens when you can no longer write sunny pop songs. This is what happens when the corporate slave turns against the corporate machine. It's just amazing and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars buy the double this has edits on it, 2 Oct 2012
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
Tusk was Fleetwood mac's answer to Punk or should I say Lyndsey Buckingham's answer to not doing Rumours part 2. Although not as successful as Rumours, Tusk has some great highlights including the title track. However Be warned of the single disc version with a single edit of Sara. When this was originally issued record companies felt it better to edit tracks or omit tracks so that a double album would fit on one disc. This was all rectified with the re-mastered double set, with the full version of sara restored. The second disc has demos and out takes and is quite interesting as well.So don't fall in the trap I really think this should be deleted as it has now been replaced with the complete version of the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer magic, 20 Sep 2005
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I first came across Fleetwood Mac in the 70's with the release of "Rumours" and fell in love there and then. I expected to be disappointed with "Tusk"; after all you can never quite re-experience the feeling of first love, right? But I was surprised back then and I'm surprised still, because "Tusk" is a fantastic example of why Fleetwood Mac are have the longevity they've had - they can cover so many moods, styles and sounds on just one album. I bought this cd because I've kept the original vinyl double album, long after my hi-fi has given up, and have relied on a home taped version of the album all these years, to hear my favourite songs in the world. Hearing them again, so perfectly reproduced and re-presented in new ways with the out-takes and remixes this album contains, has been an utter joy. The ethereal harmonies provided by Buckingham and McVie on the 2 best songs on the album - Beautiful Child and Storms - offsetting the earthy-yet-ethereal voice of Stevie Nicks, had passed me by on the original album. How sound quality and reproduction have improved! This is a great album - for baby-boomers like me, updating their vinyl music collection into cd format, and for anyone who's only ever heard the million-selling "Rumours" and wondered whether The Mac could do it again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelled to up the star count, 5 Feb 2004
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I urge you to ignore the reviewer who gives this album 3 stars. This problem with this album is because it is so long (20 tracks) it is bound to contain something the listener does not like so much. However, if you take the 'best' 11 tracks from Tusk (starting with all of Nicks's), they compare at least as well as the 11 from Rumours, if not better. Trust me: it is an incredible album with some stunning songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reissue of the Mac's masterpiece from 1979..., 20 Feb 2004
Jason Parkes "We're all Frankies'" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I've said it before & I'll say it again:"Rhino do the best reissues." This two-disc take on Fleetwood Mac's Tusk is far superior to the prior-budget price version, which edited the sublime joy that was Sara. The first disc takes in the original Tusk double-album & adds a single-mix of Sisters of the Moon; while the second disc takes in earlier versions/alternate takes/outtakes relating to the recording of Tusk and is worth buying for these stunning curios. This is even better than that deluxe reissue of The Velvet Underground's Loaded & chance to reassess a great, great album...
Tusk was famously the follow-up to the bestselling Rumours (1977) and along with Fleetwood Mac (1975) is the centrepiece of their career (stuff like Mirage & Tango in the Night were distinctly underwhelming). This was the era when Lindsay Buckingham became the mainman, while Christine McVie & Stevie Nicks were more than equal. Tusk is better than Rumours as (i) it's a double-album, the three-songwriters having much to offer (ii) it was recorded in relationship-turmoil, everyone likes a car crash. See: The Visitors, Low, Blemish, Music for a New Society (iii) Camper Van Beethoven recorded the whole album in tribute to it (iv) DJ Shadow sampled Brown Eyes on one of his early recordings (v) the band insisted on a ping-pong table in the studio, the Beastie Boys followed suit on their Tusk: 1989's Paul's Boutique (vi) it's not overplayed/overfamiliar like Rumours (vii) it's quite insane in parts (viii) because it is...
The cocaine-Californian thing has been done wonderfully by others- Warren Zevon, Steely Dan, The Eagles' Hotel California ,Gene Clark, Steve Stills- this does feel like a band living on the edge, in their own world where they can have anything they want. I'm reminded a little of The Band in The Last Waltz or The Stones around Exile on Main Street. Despite the gossip-related problems, this is a wonderful collection of songs- perhaps they were miserable, but in that place, they created something beautiful & enchanting. Perhaps it's a record like Blood on the Tracks, Here My Dear, Station to Station or Third/Sister Lovers that was ultimately more fun to listen to than make?
There is still hints of that perfect FM-country of Rumours- Think About Me, Angel- so I never understood why people didn't take to this set. Many of the tracks could have been put on Rumours & people would have eaten it up! Buckingham & co were getting more adventerous- the production is more experimental and probably has more in common with Lee'Scratch'Perry or PIL than Dire Straits. Tusk is not Metal Machine Music though...
Every track on it is wonderful- from the mad-brass inflected title track (sort of a rap!) to the gorgeous Brown Eyes to Buckingham's modern inversion of Eddie Cochran on The Ledge. I just don't get people who don't get Tusk!- what's not to get? The six-minute plus ethereal joy of Sara?- Nicks bettering herself with Sisters of the Moon and Storms, which are the kind of songs you could lose yourself in (& explains why a few girls I knew in the 80s tended to model themselves on Stevie...). McVie's gorgeous Over and Over is just hypnotic- but the song I could listen to UNTIL THE END OF TIME would be That's All For Everyone, which has a wonderful hook & like many of the great records, doesn't go on long enough...
Tusk is now available in complete, expanded form and is now ripe for rediscovery after the Mac's succesful return last year. It's also one of the great double-albums, easily ranking alongside Warehouse (Songs&Stories), Exile on Main Street, Being There, Sign'O'the Times, Sandinista!, Spirit of 76, Check Your Head & The White Album. A great reissue and Fleetwood Mac's masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned...

5.0 out of 5 stars I Know I'm Not Wrong, Tusk deserves to be played Over and Over., 7 Aug 2013
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
Tusk...this album revolted me first listen. What's with all this noise Mr Buckingham? Cheer up Stevie! Christine who?

I was harsh, wasn't I?

Well sometimes I get it wrong as well! I had recently purchased and absorbed Rumours and the 1975 self-titled effort, and at the time I first bought Tusk, I merely liked them just enough to want a bit more. So I got this and a greatest hits compilation.

However, with the passing of time, both the self titled and Rumours became favourites in my eyes, and once I grew accustomed to the individual sounds of Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, I once again tried Tusk.

And you know what? I absolutely loved the experience, and i couldn't believe I was listening to the same album I had poo-pooed months previously! This album is just a real artistic tour de force. Every track is a winner, and it has aged beautifully because no one has ever made music the way Fleetwood Mac did with this line up, and Fleetwood Mac never made music quite like Tusk, either before its release or after.

What Makes You Think You're The One, Save Me A Place, That's All For Everyone and I Know I'm Not Wrong...these four songs alone reveal the creative genius inside Buckingham, it is a real pleasure listening to the invention going on with these songs. Although I at first took his work on Tusk to be noisy and repetitive, I now love every song, and no two sound alike.

Stevie Nicks. What can I say? She steals this album from Buckingham's grip (bet that makes him happy). I remember initially thinking her songs boring on this. But repeated listenings made songs like Sara, Storms, Sister's Of The Moon and Angel stand out as classic Nicks, and that's not to mention the heartbreaking Beautiful Child. This is the best single album to buy if you are looking for Nicks in her prime. Sure, her work was stellar for the most part with Fleetwood, and her solo career is often exhilarating, but for some reason the best collection of songs of hers appears here. Nicks songs alone would make this a four star album, and they only make up five out of twenty.

Christine Mcvie contributes a solid selection of songs, all great enough to warrant a five star album. Over and Over and Brown Eyes are beautiful songs, and her soothing, warm voice complements the intensity and heightened emotion of Buckingham/Nicks perfectly. Without her, this album wouldn't work (just as Say You Will didn't without her in 2004). I also love the way she not openly opens this album with Over and Over, she closes it as well, with Never Forget.

Tusk, the song itself, is perhaps the strangest song I have ever heard from a band often considered mainstream pop, alongside such songs as ABBA's The Day Before You Came, The Visitors; The Beatles I Am The Walrus; No Doubt's Settle Down, Tragic Kingdom. The lyrics, the barked vocals, the mesmerising guitar work...this is perhaps the most avante garde song to ever make the Top Ten, anywhere, ever. And it did just that in the US, whilst more accessible songs from the album failed to make much impact.

Back in the day (eleven years prior to my birth), this was deemed a disappointing follow up to the masterful Rumours, both commercially and artistically. Today, it is often cited as one of the bands finest moments, and justifiably so. It may not seem great on first listen, but right now, some two years since I first bought the two-disc special edition, then the vintage vinyl and purchased yet more Fleetwood Mac material, I can safely say that Tusk comes close to being far and away my favourite Fleetwood Mac album.

The only problem is this: Fleetwood Mac (1975), Rumours, Mirage. I love those three albums all pretty much equally. I think, however, I might just like this album that little bit more (okay, a lot).

So...with twenty songs I would all call perfect, irreplaceable, and virtually legendary, I can safely give this a well deserved 6/10.

Just joking!

10/10 all the way!

P.S. Buy Tusk on vinyl. The artwork, layout and presentation is wonderful. Adds further dimmension to this classic masterpiece.

Might I also recommend:
ABBA- Super Trouper; The Visitors
Toto- IV; The Seventh One
No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom; Return Of Saturn
Stevie Nicks- Bella Donna; Crystal Visions
Fleetwood Mac- The Chain boxset (to start)
Buckingham Nicks- Buckingham Nicks (not available on CD officially, but old school vinyls can be found every now and then. Essential.)

That's All For Everyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Small But Important Point., 17 Aug 2007
William J. Walker "Billyjay" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
This 'version' of the album is sold as a 'budget edition' and you will certainly be able to get it pretty cheaply(it should be cheap as it is NOT the original album).

I used to be less than keen on this album because, I feel, it suffers when compared to "Rumours", for a lack of the former's consistency. Actually I have been playing it again recently and find it is growing on me. One thing it has always had going for it though, was the presence of 'Sara', a song that is not just one of the best Fleetwood Mac songs, but one of my all-time favourite songs.

This 'version' of the album, however, features the shorter 'single edit' of 'Sara' for no fathomable reason... Oh hang on a minute, could it be that the 'suits' at the record company saw a way of persuading even casual fans of the band to buy the 'Deluxe 2 disc edition' of the album for more money, when a straight forward remastering of the album on a single disc would be enough for all but a few die-hards.

It has been suggested that CD sales are falling. With this sort of cynical manipulation(they chopped up the highlight of the album!)the record companies do not win themselves any friends.

I have seen it suggested that the reason that an 'edited down' version was offered was because of 'technical constraints of CDs at the time of its release' well the full album on the 2 disc reissue(with a full length 'Sara') is 74mins 20 secs long and fits neatly onto 1 disc, so I don't see how that argument can be used, even if that was the case, there was a simple solution, they could have released the album on 2 discs at the time(it's not that difficult is it?).

4 and a bit stars for the Proper album, 3 for this.

***UPDATE*** Since writing the above Amazon have amalgamated this review into the reviews for the 2 disc edition (very annoying since they are clearly different products)which has the complete album/full version of Sara. The price of the 2 disc version is very close to that of the single disc edition so purchasing that is the best option (although that may change). However an even better idea would be for the record company to replace the single disc (2000) edition with an unedited single disc. Maybe they will and, no doubt, this review will be attached to that one too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I had only ever heard the title track and one or two other songs on this album.

I was pleasantly surprised by the other songs on the album, which Fleetwood Mac themselves say was experimental.

I would recommend this album for all Mac fans who haven't heard it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic record, 28 Oct 2013
Such a great record, diverse and timeless. From start to finish this album is filled with classic tracks, a must own for Mac fans

Tusk
Tusk by Fleetwood Mac (Audio CD - 1987)