5.0 out of 5 stars Just as great (if not greater) than Rumours
Every critic will tell you that Mcvie, Nicks and Buckingham were at their writing peak during the Rumours album. However, I would definitely disagree. The songs on this album are some of the finest ever written in Mac history.

Published on 14 Jan. 2011 by Dave. N

3.0 out of 5 stars buy the double this has edits on it
Published on 2 Oct. 2012 by Mr. R. G. Prizeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as great (if not greater) than Rumours, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)

Although it came under scrutiny in 1979 for being over-preduced and too experimental, it is nothing compared to the wacky and disturbingly wierd albums on the market today. Despite this fact, the experimental tracks are all those of Buckinghams, which I consider to be fantastic, particularly 'The Ledge', 'Walk a thin Line' and 'I Know I'm Not Wrong'. Also, besides 'Sisters of the Moon', Brown Eyes and possibly Angel, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie's efforts on this album could have been cut on the Rumours album... they follow the same west-coast feel.

Each song on this album is a masterpiece; it may take a few listens to get into it, but I'm certain once you do, you will appreciate how multi-layered it is. From Buckingham's Clash inspired 'Not that funny', to Nicks's tear jerkinglly beautiful ballad 'Storms'- there is something for everyone on here- it's a rock classic and a masterpiece: a must have for any music fan

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of all time, 8 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
An absolutely startlingly brilliant record. If you tend to go for 'alternative bands', then I can do nothing but recommend this masterpiece. And if you've pigeon-holed Fleetwood Mac as an OK but MOR rock/pop band then you seriously need to pick this one up. It's so strong, and so avant garde, that I suspect you may need to re-evaluate that assumption. It has a texture and unpredictability like nothing else I have ever heard. And if you're anything like me, you'll find yourself buying the rest of their records in the hope you'll find more of the same (which you never quite will, though its spirit occasionaly rises where you least expect it) !!!!
REM, The Smashing Pumpkins, DJ Shadow, and The Strokes to name a few have listed this record as an influence. Camper Van Beethoven actually covered the whole album. You don't get a better and more varied recommendation than that.
This is Fleetwood Mac with the gloss torn back and their hearts on their sleeves. This is what happens when you can no longer write sunny pop songs. This is what happens when the corporate slave turns against the corporate machine. It's just amazing and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars buy the double this has edits on it, 2 Oct. 2012
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
Tusk was Fleetwood mac's answer to Punk or should I say Lyndsey Buckingham's answer to not doing Rumours part 2. Although not as successful as Rumours, Tusk has some great highlights including the title track. However Be warned of the single disc version with a single edit of Sara. When this was originally issued record companies felt it better to edit tracks or omit tracks so that a double album would fit on one disc. This was all rectified with the re-mastered double set, with the full version of sara restored. The second disc has demos and out takes and is quite interesting as well.So don't fall in the trap I really think this should be deleted as it has now been replaced with the complete version of the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer magic, 20 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I first came across Fleetwood Mac in the 70's with the release of "Rumours" and fell in love there and then. I expected to be disappointed with "Tusk"; after all you can never quite re-experience the feeling of first love, right? But I was surprised back then and I'm surprised still, because "Tusk" is a fantastic example of why Fleetwood Mac are have the longevity they've had - they can cover so many moods, styles and sounds on just one album. I bought this cd because I've kept the original vinyl double album, long after my hi-fi has given up, and have relied on a home taped version of the album all these years, to hear my favourite songs in the world. Hearing them again, so perfectly reproduced and re-presented in new ways with the out-takes and remixes this album contains, has been an utter joy. The ethereal harmonies provided by Buckingham and McVie on the 2 best songs on the album - Beautiful Child and Storms - offsetting the earthy-yet-ethereal voice of Stevie Nicks, had passed me by on the original album. How sound quality and reproduction have improved! This is a great album - for baby-boomers like me, updating their vinyl music collection into cd format, and for anyone who's only ever heard the million-selling "Rumours" and wondered whether The Mac could do it again...

5.0 out of 5 stars I Know I'm Not Wrong, Tusk deserves to be played Over and Over., 7 Aug. 2013
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
Tusk...this album revolted me first listen. What's with all this noise Mr Buckingham? Cheer up Stevie! Christine who?

I was harsh, wasn't I?

Well sometimes I get it wrong as well! I had recently purchased and absorbed Rumours and the 1975 self-titled effort, and at the time I first bought Tusk, I merely liked them just enough to want a bit more. So I got this and a greatest hits compilation.

However, with the passing of time, both the self titled and Rumours became favourites in my eyes, and once I grew accustomed to the individual sounds of Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, I once again tried Tusk.

And you know what? I absolutely loved the experience, and i couldn't believe I was listening to the same album I had poo-pooed months previously! This album is just a real artistic tour de force. Every track is a winner, and it has aged beautifully because no one has ever made music the way Fleetwood Mac did with this line up, and Fleetwood Mac never made music quite like Tusk, either before its release or after.

What Makes You Think You're The One, Save Me A Place, That's All For Everyone and I Know I'm Not Wrong...these four songs alone reveal the creative genius inside Buckingham, it is a real pleasure listening to the invention going on with these songs. Although I at first took his work on Tusk to be noisy and repetitive, I now love every song, and no two sound alike.

Stevie Nicks. What can I say? She steals this album from Buckingham's grip (bet that makes him happy). I remember initially thinking her songs boring on this. But repeated listenings made songs like Sara, Storms, Sister's Of The Moon and Angel stand out as classic Nicks, and that's not to mention the heartbreaking Beautiful Child. This is the best single album to buy if you are looking for Nicks in her prime. Sure, her work was stellar for the most part with Fleetwood, and her solo career is often exhilarating, but for some reason the best collection of songs of hers appears here. Nicks songs alone would make this a four star album, and they only make up five out of twenty.

Christine Mcvie contributes a solid selection of songs, all great enough to warrant a five star album. Over and Over and Brown Eyes are beautiful songs, and her soothing, warm voice complements the intensity and heightened emotion of Buckingham/Nicks perfectly. Without her, this album wouldn't work (just as Say You Will didn't without her in 2004). I also love the way she not openly opens this album with Over and Over, she closes it as well, with Never Forget.

Tusk, the song itself, is perhaps the strangest song I have ever heard from a band often considered mainstream pop, alongside such songs as ABBA's The Day Before You Came, The Visitors; The Beatles I Am The Walrus; No Doubt's Settle Down, Tragic Kingdom. The lyrics, the barked vocals, the mesmerising guitar work...this is perhaps the most avante garde song to ever make the Top Ten, anywhere, ever. And it did just that in the US, whilst more accessible songs from the album failed to make much impact.

Back in the day (eleven years prior to my birth), this was deemed a disappointing follow up to the masterful Rumours, both commercially and artistically. Today, it is often cited as one of the bands finest moments, and justifiably so. It may not seem great on first listen, but right now, some two years since I first bought the two-disc special edition, then the vintage vinyl and purchased yet more Fleetwood Mac material, I can safely say that Tusk comes close to being far and away my favourite Fleetwood Mac album.

The only problem is this: Fleetwood Mac (1975), Rumours, Mirage. I love those three albums all pretty much equally. I think, however, I might just like this album that little bit more (okay, a lot).

So...with twenty songs I would all call perfect, irreplaceable, and virtually legendary, I can safely give this a well deserved 6/10.

Just joking!

10/10 all the way!

P.S. Buy Tusk on vinyl. The artwork, layout and presentation is wonderful. Adds further dimmension to this classic masterpiece.

Might I also recommend:
ABBA- Super Trouper; The Visitors
Toto- IV; The Seventh One
No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom; Return Of Saturn
Stevie Nicks- Bella Donna; Crystal Visions
Fleetwood Mac- The Chain boxset (to start)
Buckingham Nicks- Buckingham Nicks (not available on CD officially, but old school vinyls can be found every now and then. Essential.)

That's All For Everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelled to up the star count, 5 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I urge you to ignore the reviewer who gives this album 3 stars. This problem with this album is because it is so long (20 tracks) it is bound to contain something the listener does not like so much. However, if you take the 'best' 11 tracks from Tusk (starting with all of Nicks's), they compare at least as well as the 11 from Rumours, if not better. Trust me: it is an incredible album with some stunning songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars the `mac go their own way, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
After the success of "Rumours" which was one of the best-selling lps of all time, a heavy weight of expectation lay on the band to repeat the magic formula, from record company executives and fans alike. Instead of taking the easy route they holed up at the village recorder in los angeles and created a very different and possibly their finest album. They embraced the new digital recording technology which was still in it`s infancy and applied it to some of the best material they had written to date. Stevie Nicks is at the top of her game here with absolute stand-out tracks like "Storms", "Sisters of the moon" and the lovely "Sara". Christine McVie contributions are equally outstanding with "Over and over", "Never forget" and "Brown eyes" vying for top honours. Curiously, Lindsay Buckingham, who, received wisdom has it was the genious and creator beind the album, doesn`t fly as high as on the previous two albums although he contributes the mighty "Tusk" and "That`s all for everyone". All too often his contributions seem like filler. He was probably trying too hard to be too different and the country-punk of "It`s not that funny" and "that`s enough for me" are just embarrassing. But his guitar work, especially on "sisters of the moon" was rarely bettered. Yes, "Tusk" would probably have made a better single album but there are more treasures here than on any other late `70s / `80s era fleetwood mac album and it bears repeated listening. For me the greatest buried treasure on the album is at the end of Christine`s gorgeous "Brown eyes", where, right on the fade out,Peter Green contributes a trademark solo, as only he can (apparently he was visiting L.A. at the time and stopped by to say hello).If, like me, you are Peter Green fan, this is worth the price of the album alone! Many people consider this album a failure, if you call four million worldwide sales a failure! I personally think is is the best body of work they created ouside of the Peter Green years. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen several times before judging this, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
Firsly make sure you buy the remastered full version. I for some reason had never got around to listening to this album in full, maybe I discounted it due to the mention of it being too experimental and reports that it sounded nothing like their other excellent work. I had previously only heard what are probably the most well known tracks, Sara and Tusk.
After the first listen I found a few of the tracks decent enough but was not blown away, however after a few more listens (the whole album through headphones) I can say that the album is absolutely stunning. It is full of excellent invention and emotion ( haunting as the cover sticker describes well). The production, ideas and playing by Buckingham (who is the clear driving force)really are all top drawer, Stevie Nicks voice is the best it's ever been and the whole band sound excellent throughout. It is certainly not Rumours (of course also brilliant but in a different way) and is not full of radio friendly instantly likeable chart hits, however in my opinion many of the tracks are superior. Real music fans that seek out the talent thats sadly lacking in todays music world should learn to love this. Just give it a proper chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Dec. 2012
K. S. Hutchence "Kelland" (Paris) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I first heard Tusk about 30 years ago (can that be true???!!) when after listening once I could find nothing in it. But experience over those many years taught me that what has instant appeal doesn't always last, whereas music that doesn't at first grab the attention can be found to have a depth and quality that needs to be looked for. Good example for me was Hooty and the Blowfish and even extends to classical music. In my 20s I certainly found nothing in Rachmaninov's piano concertos on first listening but - WOWW!!!Thanks to the reviews of Amazon I was prompted to by Tusk and try again, especially as I love all other Fleetwood Mac CDs. Again, at first listening I was disappointed. But I expected that, so I listened again, then a third time. By the fifth playing I was totally hooked and since I received it I've played Tusk at least twice each day. The depth of the music is amazing and the haunting rythms with Nick's great drumming (on a shoe box in some cases!) revolve inside my head, so much so that I really think I like Tusk even more than Rumours or Tango in the Night. No question in my mind - buy it and listen. You'll not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reissue of the Mac's masterpiece from 1979..., 20 Feb. 2004
Jason Parkes (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tusk (Audio CD)
I've said it before & I'll say it again:"Rhino do the best reissues." This two-disc take on Fleetwood Mac's Tusk is far superior to the prior-budget price version, which edited the sublime joy that was Sara. The first disc takes in the original Tusk double-album & adds a single-mix of Sisters of the Moon; while the second disc takes in earlier versions/alternate takes/outtakes relating to the recording of Tusk and is worth buying for these stunning curios. This is even better than that deluxe reissue of The Velvet Underground's Loaded & chance to reassess a great, great album...
Tusk was famously the follow-up to the bestselling Rumours (1977) and along with Fleetwood Mac (1975) is the centrepiece of their career (stuff like Mirage & Tango in the Night were distinctly underwhelming). This was the era when Lindsay Buckingham became the mainman, while Christine McVie & Stevie Nicks were more than equal. Tusk is better than Rumours as (i) it's a double-album, the three-songwriters having much to offer (ii) it was recorded in relationship-turmoil, everyone likes a car crash. See: The Visitors, Low, Blemish, Music for a New Society (iii) Camper Van Beethoven recorded the whole album in tribute to it (iv) DJ Shadow sampled Brown Eyes on one of his early recordings (v) the band insisted on a ping-pong table in the studio, the Beastie Boys followed suit on their Tusk: 1989's Paul's Boutique (vi) it's not overplayed/overfamiliar like Rumours (vii) it's quite insane in parts (viii) because it is...
The cocaine-Californian thing has been done wonderfully by others- Warren Zevon, Steely Dan, The Eagles' Hotel California ,Gene Clark, Steve Stills- this does feel like a band living on the edge, in their own world where they can have anything they want. I'm reminded a little of The Band in The Last Waltz or The Stones around Exile on Main Street. Despite the gossip-related problems, this is a wonderful collection of songs- perhaps they were miserable, but in that place, they created something beautiful & enchanting. Perhaps it's a record like Blood on the Tracks, Here My Dear, Station to Station or Third/Sister Lovers that was ultimately more fun to listen to than make?
There is still hints of that perfect FM-country of Rumours- Think About Me, Angel- so I never understood why people didn't take to this set. Many of the tracks could have been put on Rumours & people would have eaten it up! Buckingham & co were getting more adventerous- the production is more experimental and probably has more in common with Lee'Scratch'Perry or PIL than Dire Straits. Tusk is not Metal Machine Music though...
Every track on it is wonderful- from the mad-brass inflected title track (sort of a rap!) to the gorgeous Brown Eyes to Buckingham's modern inversion of Eddie Cochran on The Ledge. I just don't get people who don't get Tusk!- what's not to get? The six-minute plus ethereal joy of Sara?- Nicks bettering herself with Sisters of the Moon and Storms, which are the kind of songs you could lose yourself in (& explains why a few girls I knew in the 80s tended to model themselves on Stevie...). McVie's gorgeous Over and Over is just hypnotic- but the song I could listen to UNTIL THE END OF TIME would be That's All For Everyone, which has a wonderful hook & like many of the great records, doesn't go on long enough...
Tusk is now available in complete, expanded form and is now ripe for rediscovery after the Mac's succesful return last year. It's also one of the great double-albums, easily ranking alongside Warehouse (Songs&Stories), Exile on Main Street, Being There, Sign'O'the Times, Sandinista!, Spirit of 76, Check Your Head & The White Album. A great reissue and Fleetwood Mac's masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned...

Tusk
Tusk by Fleetwood Mac (Audio CD - 1987)