4.0 out of 5 stars JUST AS SLICK AND COOL AS THE FIRST VAN HALEN!
Published on 1 May 2001 by h.u.ahmad@student.salford.ac.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?
I brought this album as well as another album (Diver Down), The items were deliverd early which I was very pleased about however I have been trying to import these albums onto my laptop and my computer (I tried my laptop, that didn't work so I tried my computer that doesn't really work either.) and have been pretty unsuccesful... Is it just me that had this problem?
Published on 4 May 2012 by x PunK x

4.0 out of 5 stars JUST AS SLICK AND COOL AS THE FIRST VAN HALEN!, 1 May 2001
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
It'll probably grow on me as I listen to it more, but Van Halen II doesn't quite have the groundbreaking spark that its predecessor had. Nevertheless, this follow-up is just as fun to listen to, with Roth in reflective mood in songs like 'Dance The Night Away' and 'Women In Love'. Eddie is still cranking out those hard, groovy riffs, the metallic highlight being 'DOA' with its rasping, punkish sounding guitar and Roth's near-growling lyrics. Without these guys, I don't think there would have been any G'N'R nor the wave of '80s hairspray metal bands that would subsequently emerge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaw dropping guitar work + flamboyant vocans = Great album, 6 Dec 2000
Uriel (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Van Halen 2 (Audio CD)
After revolutionising rock guitar in just over half an hour with their first album, Van Halen released their second only a year later and it did not disappoint. After a massively successful tour, in which they frequently upstaged the acts they were supposed to be supporting, Van Halen quickly returned to the studio and emerged triumphantly soon afterwards with a second masterpiece.
Ever since David Lee Roth left the band in 1985 fans have been clamouring for his return and it's easy to see why. Few singers could match the explosive guitar riffs that permeate this dynamic recording but this showman rides them with an exhuberance that was never to be matched by either of his two successors.
Since the departure of Gary Cherone last year rumours have abounded that Roth has rejoined the band. If that is true, and they manage to recapture anything like the fire that drove this album, the wait for the fans will have been well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best rock album ever?, 14 Nov 2009
Mr. John Lumbard (Richmond, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
This 2nd album is their best. Its my favourite anyway. Each song is a gem..and if you want to hear pure guitar talent listen to Spanish Fly. Its up their with Queen, Black Sabbath and Rush. This was the golden age of rock.

4.0 out of 5 stars It`s great, of course, but..., 14 July 2010
Little Cat Voom (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
...I`m surprised some people think it`s up there with the other Roth-era undisputed classics. It doesn`t quite have the amazing panache of "Van Halen I", or the power and quirkiness of "Women and Children First", the grit and anger and speed of "Fair Warning", the strangeness of "Diver Down" and finally the awe-inspiring mix of styles and polish of "1984". It`s like their first album, except over the entire album it`s about 5 or 10% less of everything. "You're No Good" is not as good as "You Really Got Me", and there are a couple of tracks - "Bottoms Up!" and "DOA" - which are great tracks but I don`t think they quite compare with the quality of say, "I`m The One" or "On Fire". I love "Dance The Night Away", "Light Up The Sky", also "Women In Love" and classic-Roth closer "Beautiful Girls", and "Spanish Fly" is absolutely majestic, sort-of "Eruption"-unplugged from Eddie. You must buy it, it`s a fantastic album, but the fact is I listen to it slightly less than other VH (with DLR) albums, which are of course all unsurpassed in rock history as far as I`m concerned. Maybe I should have given it a five, but it`s a relative four - compared to the other five Van Roth albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most bands struggle to make it by their third album. Van Halen were rocking the universe by album number 2!, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
Van Halen had a task ahead of themselves after releasing their debut. Most people cited their debut album as one of the most energetic, original and intelligent albums in hard rock. In 1979 being a young and hungry band, they set about their ways not just to prove they had it, but to prove they had longevity as song writers.

I feel David’s vocals were a huge part of the original Van Halen sound. Of course Eddie’s guitar work was amazing. But it was more of a catalyst. You mix Dave’s vocals with Eddie’s guitar playing, then and only then do you have dynamite. The Sammy Hagar era lacked this chemistry in my opinion. And on this album David’s vocals can sometimes be what makes the actual song so catchy. His happy-go-lucky style is what breathes vast amount of life in tracks like “Dance the night away” or “Somebody get me a doctor”.

Inevitably I want to now focus on Eddie’s playing. I find it hard to describe the way he attacks the guitar. One journalist described Van Halen as “heavy metal drenched in sunshine”. Sure it’s true, but to me they sound like a mixture of rock, metal, lounge music all mixed with rockabilly or barbershop tendencies. It’s an endless compound of culture, music and influence. Most people only care about “Eruption” and think that reflects the entire Van Halen sound. Eddie shows how versatile he can be from the bewitching abilities shown in the acoustic instrumental “Spanish fly” to the angelic intro to “Beautiful girls” and the divine and infectious rhythms found in “Dance the night away”.

My favourite track is “D.O.A” for it’s staunchly hard rock character and it’s hard hitting chorus. But most of the material on here is certainly of the signature Van Halen high standard. But if I have to be a perfectionist, to this day I still find “Outta love again” quite forgettable. But that is my only complaint of the entire album. An absolutely amazing rock album...

5.0 out of 5 stars Two good for words, 14 Mar 2005
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
I didn't get into VH2 straight away, because I didn't think that it was quite as accessible as its predecessor. The overall mood of the album is different, too: the overt lustful posturing of the first album is replaced with a more playful palette.
However, VH2 manages to knock spots off the competition despite not being the best record in the Van Halen catalogue (and that's not saying it's comparitively weak, not by a long way). Eddie's tone is still there, as are Roth's spot-on vocals and Mike Anthony's tastful bass. There are in particular some awesome riffs to enjoy, my particular favourite being D.O.A., and before this you have the astounding Spanish Fly, a sort of acoustic Eruption but even more astonishing for being performed on an acoustic guitar, a harder instrument to play this sort of music on.
Once again, Van Halen set the new milestone to follow with this album, just as the world had recovered from their debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Van Halen II, 27 Sep 2002
Steve Cook (Untied Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
This album demonstrates perfectly, that the original Van Halen line up was the best all round rock band to have ever recorded in the same studio. Brilliant muscianship throughout, and a vocalist who managed to keep a sense of humour, whilst rocking your socks off.
The guitar riff in "Light up the sky" is one which just has to be listened to again and again, and as loud as you can make your speakers go! This album allowed each band member a chance to show their individual talents, from the bass guitar intro on "You're no good", the drums on "Light up the Sky", Diamond Daves lyric's and vocals on "Bottoms up" and Eddie Van Halens amazing guitar sounds throughout.
For me, this is the best all round VH album and one to be listened too again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!, 16 Aug 2001
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
The first two VH albums more than any other seem to represent all the qualities present in Vanhalen's music.Vanhalen 2 is comparable to A freight train running right through your back garden,shaking your house as it plays.The first sound you hear is Michael Anthony's bass singing eerily almost sounding like a whale before thumping out a beat with alex's drums."Youre no good" is a great way for this album to start and beleive me it just gets better.The obvious talking point is Ed's guitar playing(and so it should be)which for me at least is inspirational and genius amplified,but the whole band here demonstrate a kind of fluid liquid movement that is true VH.Alex and Michael are in perfect unison,much more so than other hard rock bands and I think this how the music sounds so alive and raw ,yet with plenty of depth.Dave Lee Roth for me just adds the icing on the cake.Love him or hate him he brings VH a sense of humour that completes the package. If you like VH buy this album you will love it... Promise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Van Brothers II Recon With A Platter Of Classic 70's Rock 'n' Roll., 8 July 2014
John Crooks (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
After the super first debut album, the second act would be hard to follow. but Dave, Mike and the VH bros did a good job, though it took me a few listens to get into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-mastered works, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Van Halen Ii[Reissue] (Audio CD)
This re-mastered Van Halen cd is so much clearer and louder that the old cd . I just have to tell people to go and get these re-mastered cd .

Van Halen 2
Van Halen 2 by Van Halen (Audio CD - 1987)