5.0 out of 5 stars So Funny, So Sad, So Perfect., 11 Mar 2007
William J. Walker "Billyjay" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Roches (Audio CD)
I should state from the outset that this is one of my all time favourites so I'm totally biased.I got this album some ten years after its release and came to it, as is so often the case, by that slow accretion of information snippets and coincidences that provide the nudge required for purchase. I would see the album cover in shops and(in that larger LP format) was intrigued by the striking poses adopted by the three woman, who certainly made no concessions to the fashions of the times(thank goodness). I read a couple of very favourable reviews and noted the involvement of Robert Fripp who always seemed to have the knack of being involved in interesting projects(Eno,Bowie,Blondie and Darryl Hall!).

The history as I know it is thus: Maggie and Terre(pronounced Terry) Roche("from deepest New Jersey") had been performing together since the late '60s and in 1973 were recruited by Paul Simon to sing backup on "There Goes Rhymin' Simon. They released their own LP "Seductive Reasoning" in 1975(pleasant but not essential),then in late '76 they became a trio when joined by sister Suzzy(pronounced as in 'buzzy bee') and garnered critical acclaim and a loyal following on the Greenwich Village club scene.They signed to Warners in'78 and this album was released in '79.

The album is the most amazing mix of styles and emotions; it's not folk but is essentially acoustic(apart from a few very delicate additions of guitar, synth and Frippery),the sound is dominated by the vocals which can be beautifully harmonic at one moment or more conversational the next, it can be very humorous and yet this is almost always counter-balanced by sadness or a sense of longing.

The album starts with "We" a very auto-biographical song which covers much of the ground mentioned above.It sets the album up perfectly and is perhaps the most playful track on the record,it also makes you feel that you 'know' the group by the end of its 2 minutes and 33 seconds.
Hammond Song is beautifully sung(all swooping close-harmonies)and ruminates on that peculiar sense of betrayal, felt, when a close friend (or sister maybe?) leaves you with someone else for somewhere else.
Mr Sellack is amazing, the lyrics are so catchy and memorable you'll find you can sing the entire song after a few listens(great for sing-a-longs in the car).The singer is having to beg Mr Sellack for her waitressing job back, the one she quit to chase her dreams, it's very sad but still manages to raise a smile and a chuckle.
My favourite could be "The Train"(or is it 'Runs in the Family' the saddest song on the album?) its ability to make me laugh out loud at the start and leave me with a lump in my throat by its end seems to define the specialness of the album.

This is a special album, it is unusual but still very accessible(I've introduced several friends to this album and never had negative come back).It is rich in melody and has great performances throughout the music hasn't dated(I doubt it ever will) and lyrics themes are timeless(apart perhaps from a reference to the "Troubles") and brilliantly executed.I can't recommend this album highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars rpches, 16 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Roches (Audio CD)
I first heard this album in 1983 when I was a very young adult living for a while in Newcastle with some friends who played the Irish fiddle. They often went out and when they did i turned up the volume and listened almost obsessively to this. I drank irish malt whiskey and got into the lyrics and the wit; the heart ache and the harmonies. It was a delight to me.

I have spent the last few months thinking that i would like to buy it and listen again; for it was one of those very special albums that stuck beautifully somehow to this hardened heart. My goodness, I even forgot their name for a while but I have remembered it now and ordered a copy; I am so excited about rediscovering this album that i wrote this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 5 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Roches (Audio CD)
The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music describes the Roches as "an off-the-wall folk group with astonishing singing, close harmony and influences pulled from every direction". A fine album. Not even Porter, Mercer or the Gershwins bettered Mr Sellack.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Note, 29 May 2008
This review is from: The Roches (Audio CD)
I first came across the Roches on I think it may have been on "Pebble Mill at One" or something similar around the time of this release ,and thought they sound nice why not buy the album, well my trusty vinyl version has now reached the end of it's days. This Album is incredible, three very different female voices that mix unlike any other, and songs written with a wit and love of music you wont find anywhere else whilst the album from me gets 5 stars I would give it 6 for one perfect note sung on "pretty and high" ( If you have heard it you know which one) the Hammond song is close on 6 as well.Not to be forgotten is Robert Fripps excellent production and subdued but effective guitar on the Hammond song, Maybe not the hippest album in the world, but for anyone who loves vocal virtuosity and sometimes laugh out loud lyrics this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond any rating, simply superb, 13 Feb 2014
Michael, Hampshire, UK (Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Roches (Audio CD)
I have been meaning to write this for about 12 years.
This is a unique work of magical musical genius.
There is nothing else like it.
Harmony singing. But nobody else sounds like this.
Songwriting - profound, funny, moving.
And it swings.

Robert Fripp produced it and played and added subtle effects and atmospherics (listen to Hammond Song).

In a just and sane world where genuine talent and originality were properly recognised, the Roches would be famous.
But never mind. We will always have this peerless album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Roches, 18 Dec 2013
K. Russell "Happy Customer" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Roches (MP3 Download)
I have this on vinyl and missed hearing it when the record player got consigned to the attic. I finally bought it again and it is as good as I remembered

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF MY FAVOURITE ALBUMS, 16 Oct 2012
Mr. Roy Mounsey "Tony Mounsey" (Carlisle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Roches (Audio CD)
I only write reviews for albums I consider truly exceptional - so I write very few reviews. I own over 2,000 CDs and this is one of my favourites. It stands alongside Astral Weeks, Forever Changes, Surf's Up, The United States Of America - albums that 40 years on (32 years in the case of this album) that I will never ever tire of listening to. I can't say that of the majority of my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour and get this., 20 July 2012
This review is from: The Roches (MP3 Download)
Beautiful, haunting, funny, emotional, perfect harmonies, tear-jerking vocals. Listen to the Hammond Song and try not to cry at the sheer gorgeousness of it all. I could listen to it forever and I'm sure it's played in Heaven! This album is so full of charm and sincerity, you feel as though you're in the same room as they sing to you. I can't say enough good things about The Roches, really. Why they're not up there with the Mamas & the Papas in people's thoughts, I do not know. Buy it and spread the word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous CD from my Past, 26 Nov 2012
Laird Davis - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Roches (Audio CD)
This is a replacement of the disc lost in a house fire. I am a great fan of the Roches and will slowly be replacing the others. The service rendered by the seller was perfect in all ways. The only complaint I might have is that the casing was cracked during its journey and I have never found casings to replace those damaged. I am not reviewing the album because it still stands as it always has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Roches (MP3 Download)
Excellent yet criminally overlooked album. Beautiful harmonies and smart lyrics. Just buy it :)

The Roches
The Roches by The Roches (Audio CD - 1996)