4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but could have been better
The late Lowell George (of Little Feat fame) is my favourite singer and guitar player, and one of my favourite songwriters ever. This was his only solo record, and while it has good songs on it, it also shows that by this time (1978) his creative forces had begun to decline.

Published on 7 May 2007 by Asko

3.0 out of 5 stars Genius and Whimsy in Lowell's Swansong
Published on 11 Nov. 2009 by AK 1957-05

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but could have been better, 7 May 2007
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)

The album has only four songs which George has written/co-written, and even the song in which he is the only writer (Two Trains) is just a new version of the old Little Feat song (it's fine, but there's nothing wrong with the original!)

Having said that, this is a very good - albeit short - collection of songs, and Lowell George's voice (which never sounded better) is simply honey to my ears.

The album is surprisingly vocal-oriented, and there's not much George's trademark slide guitar playing, but it's ok; I like his singing even more.

Lowell George was a great musician, and this record shows some of his genius, but it really could have been so much more. It is still worth a purchase, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every music lovers home should have one, 31 Jan. 2010
Martyn Noble - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
Buy this album, if only for "20 million things" which is the most beautiful whimsical ode to love and how it makes you feel. Then give yourself the time to fall in love with the rest of this ecelectic collection of songs he has either written or interpreted. It is both ramshackle in outlook and focused in delivery. You get the sense that everyone playing is having a good time.
Sadly this is the only solo album from Lowell George and we can only dream about the music he would have made after this, which sounds more a collection of little projects than a set of tracks recorded specifically to go together. This only adds to it's charm in a music world now dominated by formulaeic song structures and sounds honed to the point of sterility.
This is an album to play loud on a Sunday morning when you've had a bad week to reset your sensibilities. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone,but not forgotten, 13 Jun. 2002
Callie (To the North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
This is a great solo album from the Little feat main man.Lowell sounds as if he's enjoying himself!The album opens with the Allen Toussaint song "What do you want the girl to do" driven along by the horn section."Honest man"is a good funky number again with a horn section."Two trains "is a different version to the little Feat song."Can't stand the rain" has got plenty of soul and there's some good slide guitar from Lowell.A couple of fine ballads "20 million things" and "Find a river" and a couple of fun songs "Cheek to cheek" and "Himmler's ring"
An excellent, makes you feel good, lots of soul album

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 12 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
I came accoss this album about 6 or 7 years ago and it still remains one of my favourites (I don't mind admitting that I like to sing ' Easy Money' in the bath ;o)
Those looking for an album similar to those he made with Little Feat will get a surprise as it is not his usual style but I'm sure they'll still love it, one easy comparrison is 'Two Trains' that is a lot more punchy and soulful than the Little Feat original.
It's hard not to like this album as has been said before, he seems to be really enjoying himself.
What can I say but, buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this - whoever you are, 19 Mar. 2002
M. Mee "given up" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
i came across this ages ago. i must be on my fifth copy as housemates, ex-girlfriends etc have all been smitten with it and subsequently nicked it. a soulful, funky, joyous record that you will keep coming back to again and again. i do not exagerrate when i describe it as a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowell's finest hour, 18 Mar. 2001
William Clark "origamiuk" (Rutland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
If this isn't one of the best albums in the world I'll eat it here. Lowell croons and grooves through a collection of his finest and favourites and leaves you devastated that you didn't call him up and say thanks while you had the chance
When he died the world lost a good friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Genius and Whimsy in Lowell's Swansong, 11 Nov. 2009
AK 1957-05 (Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
On what was to be his only solo album, Lowell George tried, in the main succesfully, to branch out from the shuffling, slide-guitar led music of Little Feat. At the time, after a couple of bland jazz-rock Feat albums dominated by Payne and Barrere, I really wanted to hear something that sounded like the eponymous Feat album, or Dixie Chicken. This wasn't it, but the years have been kind to it. My main beef is that it's far too short, at an incredible 31 minutes (this version) - my version includes a beautiful tenth track, Heartache (don't know anything about it - absolutely no sleevenotes) but even that clocks in at less than three minutes. It loses a star for short-changing the customers like this.

What music there is is mainly stunning - a mid-paced opening with What Do You Want the Girl to Do, not a million miles from Little Feat, then the updated Two Trains (one of my favourite Feat songs - this one is equally good and I like to think of it as a "reimagining"). The rest of the album is peppered with short, pretty songs, beautifully sung and played. Cheek to Cheek in particular has a wonderful melody and stunning harmonies. The final track on the original album, Himmler's Ring, gave me the most angst when I was an angry young Feat fan - a piece of whimsy, sung straight by George with accompanying wacky sound effects. Now I can see it for what it is - just good fun, and actually quite well performed.

I'm sure George would have gone on to make better, more substantial albums than this but frustratingly, this is all we have. An adequate epitaph, rather than a glorious tribute.

5.0 out of 5 stars A genius songwriter, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
Sadly his only solo album, but nevertheless a gem. The original front man for Little Feat, his lyrics and slide guitar were unique. Not enough of that signature guitar on this album but worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
Fantastic CD, for those who like their music soulful, this CD is the perfect prize, I could listen all day to this wonderful album

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks i'll eat it here. lowell george., 1 May 2012
This review is from: Thanks I'll Eat It Here (Audio CD)
A LOT OF LITTLE FEAT FANS MUST HAVE BEEN HOPING THIS SOLO RELEASE WOULD BE A RETURN TO THE SOUND OF THE BAND BEFORE LOWELL GEORGE ABDICATED HIS LEADERSHIP.IT WAS NOT.I WAS SORRY THEN,BUT THIRTY OR SO YEARS ON,AND THIS ALBUM SOUNDS WONDERFUL.THIS IS NOT LOWELL THE ROCK AND ROLL DOCTOR BUT LOWELL DOING A ROBERT PALMER/BOZ SCAGGS/TERRANCE BOYLAND AND GOING SUPER-SMOOTH SOUL MAN[ALBEIT WITHOUT THE SUITS-HE RETAINS HIS DUNGAREES!].HE DOES THIS FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE ALBUM AND THEN THINGS GET A LITTLE QUIRKY BUT STILL EXCELLENT.HE WAS SUCH A GREAT SINGER AND EVEN THOUGH THE 'POLISHED TILL IT SHINES'PRODUCTION SOMETIMES BURIES HIS EARTHY VOCAL STYLE,HE STILL NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE.HIGHLITES ARE'CANT STAND THE RAIN'WHERE HE PLAYS WONDERFUL SLIDE AS WELL,AND THE TENDER '20 MILLION THINGS'.

Thanks I'll Eat It Here
Thanks I'll Eat It Here by Lowell George (Audio CD - 1992)