Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 November 2003
The original vinyl version of this album, is just amazing, sounding as fresh today as the 25 years ago when originally recorded. This re-mastered double cd album with extra material is just quite simply outstanding.
It's the only album that I can happily play for months on end in my car... there just isn't a boring or badly played track on there. Lowell George & troops did good!
An essential buy... even if you're new to the 'Feat'.
Enjoy!!!
on 29 March 2002
I can remember buying this on vinyl about 25 years ago. At the time I had tended to ignore live albums through a concern over musicianship. My fears were dispelled with this one album.From the opening few bars of Join The Band right through to Willin' you are in the company of genius. The band is tight throughout, the horns are outstanding and Lowell George's voice is sublime. My only frustration is that Lowell George died shortly after and I never actually saw them live, although I did console myself with his solo album and a number of back catalogue Little Feat albums, none of which captured the raw power of them live in the way that Columbus did.Every track is a gem, but the standouts are Dixie Chicken with its wonderful horns, Fat Man in the Bathtub, All That You Dream, Mercenary Territory and the remarkable acapello of Willin'.
on 9 April 2002
If you already have the original single CD version of this and you're wondering if this new release is worth buying, the unequivocal answer is a resounding, yes! Remixed and remastered, every viable track from the original live recordings is here, complete with beautifully designed, superbly informative inlay artwork and a dinky card outer sleeve to protect the plastic jewel case.
The tracks themselves are crystal clear, with every instrument clearly audible. The new track order, although spliced together from two different venues and over several dates from each, works tremendously well to give a really seamless impression of a continuous performance (disc 1, tracks 1-12).
The original single CD, a direct lift from the vinyl double album, was a pretty disgraceful piece of work, but Warner Brothers have done the band proud this time, presenting a really excellent package at a bargain price. What must be one of the best ever live recording just got that much better. Go get it fella.
on 25 January 2007
I first heard this album shortly after it came out and was mesmerised. Lowell George spoke of his approach as creating a musical "cracked mosaic" and if you listen you can hear the simplicity and complexity of this masterpiece. It will take a few listens but give it a chance. Post George Little Feat is also laudable, until the dreaded Shaun Murphy joins and begins wailing bad country style. Enjoy this..a genius frozen in time.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 October 2011
I have had this on its original double LP for the past 25 years and have only just replaced it with CD. I then lent it out to an unappreciative friend who never played it and I cursed every day of the two months that he kept it.

Such was the believability of being 'there' with every nuance, every slight pause, every space in and around every instrument, you can visualise the very stage, and each of the six band members plus The Tower of Power horn section adding the spice and vibrancy. It was the seemingly so laid back and effortless, jazz-like approach that made it so listenable. The playing didn't sound like a churned out succession of the same songs but an enjoyably fresh and unique sounding gig.

The songs individually, made less impact and so when I much later bought Little Feat's Best Of - As Times Go By, I was mortally wounded, they sounding so wooden and constricted by their studio-ness in comparison.

Dixie Chicken and Fat Man In the Bathtub have to the best of this sublime lot. The very titles themselves indicate something rather off-cuff and enjoyably unusual. The original artwork of the sunbathing tomato, too, is special and is featured in a number of glossy books on distinctive album artwork. A nicely compiled mini-booklet with lots of good photos comes with the CD, as well.
on 16 January 2007
If you like Country with a boogie beat...

...you need this album. It's flawless. Every track is performed so well & the sound quality is so good, I can't fault it in any way. Little Feat actually play their awesome material better live than it is on record. Also the songs on the 'extras' disc are just as good as as the 'main' disc. I usually dislike live releases but I never tire of 'Waiting For Columbus'.
on 2 December 2015
Having never heard Little Feat before and being advised that this was one of the greatest live albums in the whole history of rock I thought I would take a chance.
I don't think it's one of the greatest live albums in rock.
Sorry.
It's all down to taste. My favourite live albums are from The Who, Deep Purple, Queen and the Grateful Dead. And maybe Hawkwind.
However, it is a damn fine album. The more I listen to it the more I like it.
It goes without saying that the musicianship is excellent, sometimes breathtaking, and the band get a really fine groove going right from the beginning. The production for the time is amazing. It's all hard to fault.
But I can't really say that the songs grab me.
Like I said, it's a matter of taste.
on 1 June 2007
As others have said, this may possibly be the best live album ever! I do especially like the extended piano jam on "Dixie Chicken" and the Tower of Power Horns on "Mercenary Territory" and "Day or Night".
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2002
From the moment they come on stage the band and its supporting brass section, the Tower of Power Horns, present no-holds-barred funk and country rock. The band is one of the tightest outfits ever, the musicianship is superb with searing guitar and horn solos and you can hear the crowd go bananas, when you can hear the crowd (One of LGs asides - "You folks are crazy!"). The engineering is brilliant, each instrument is there to hear. There are well known tracks (Spanish Moon for example) which given the treatment here sound for my money better than the studio versions. This is one of the best band ever at its best in full flight and loving every minute of it.
on 5 July 2016
Great music but poor recording quality-you have to turn the volume way up to get the sound. fine playing throughout but sounds like it was transferred to CD in someone's bathroom...no make that bath. Very garbled sound quality