5.0 out of 5 stars Billion Dollar Memories
There are so many things about this album that I remember, from the way I bought it to the effect it had on my father (to my delight) and to the pleasure of listening to it.

I was 13 years old and had saved up my pocket money, when I had enough I gave it to my mum who went to Woolworths and bought it for me. I was on pins waiting for her to come home...
Published on 21 Aug. 2009 by B. J. Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs for a great album.
Ironic lyrics, hard rock at it's best. Unfortunately this was the last album with the original band, even though he went on making great music. This is Alice at his best. I consider it a must have for all the seventies rock fans.
Published 22 months ago by George Sciammarella

5.0 out of 5 stars Billion Dollar Memories, 21 Aug. 2009
B. J. Davies "EntilZha" (The Rhondda, South Wales) - See all my reviews

On opening the LP I was sorely tempted to pull out all the pictures there and then - I never did and the billion dollar note is still a treasure as I have kept this album and still have it complete with all the pieces intact 36 years later.

This CD is a must for any fan of this album, Alice Cooper, or in fact anyone who, was a rebellious teenager in the seventies. And if anything was going to personify how different we were from our Elvis-loving parents it was Alice Cooper and his antics with baby dolls, snakes and chickens and fake blood - partly the reason why I initially saved for LP in the first place.

My father hated it, he hated him, hated the things he got up to and my mother was not too impressed either. My father hated me playing my records and this album in particular - I loved every moment of my youth and this music was a very big part of it.

It is one for the few albums of which I love every track and never reach for the remote to press the `skip' button.

From `Hello Hooray' right through to the last track called ` I love The dead' which I made my father listen to, this album is superb. The second CD is a fabulous addition, and I agree with others that it should have been released all those years ago on vinyl. Speaking personally, this album is worth having purely because I can remember playing it for the first time on my Thorn/EMI Stereo on that Saturday afternoon when I got it, and I can remember the pleasure it always gives me when I play it now, and the perverse pleasure it gave me when playing it to torture my parents - the creaking sounds and the plop when the gums, visible only in my vivid imagination, plopped into the water in `Unfinished Sweet' are still as vivid now as it was then, The lead up to, and the end of `I Love The Dead! in particular will stay with me till the day I die.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Alice and still sounding great !!!!!, 14 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This album still sounds good after all these years. I am 28 years of age so when it came out I was a bit young to here it but a freind of mine has the original on vinyl and I have listened to it many times. The cd takes nothing away from the vinyl and the live bonus cd is a great addition. I would recommend this album to anybody intrested in finding out about Alice Cooper as the music speaks for its self.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eighth Wonder Of The World, 12 Feb. 2004
Billion Dollar Babies is less of a recording more of a monument to rock decadence. Scale, inception, packaging all unsurpassed, only secondarily is BDB one of the finest rock albums ever made.
Here in Britain the inner sleeve cornered every tabloid paper, Leo Abse MP, and Mary Whitehouse contrived to effectively stop the band from touring. Tour or no tour it went to number 1 and more worryingly for the rock mainstream dislodged Dark Side Of The Moon from the topping the charts.

So to the music. "Elected" with its megaphone vocal is the first to hook followed by the sparkling "Billion Dollar Babies", a rock'n'roll tango with our very own attic dancing transvestial villainesss exeling herself.
Spellbinding tracks set standards of their own. The magical" No More Mr Nice Guy", a debtor to the Who's "Substitute" told of the flak Alice's parents were receiving in America.
Donovan's acoustic contribution bolsters "Generation Landslide", and "Sick Things" is well________sick! Crying monstress laments loss of human toys. Feeling wronged she resigns herself to a fate of live concrete burial. Cheerful stuff lads.
"Mary Ann2 is a blissful throwback to days of greater innocence as well as a smart but silly piano ballad. "I Love The Dead" is a the corpedelicious farewell.
Where could they go from here? Nowhere they didn't want. There MUSIC WAS NOW OF LEGEND.
Actually they hit the road on the biggest tour in history for the time. The live disc is pure contraband. It manages to reflect the fact that in 1973 this was the one band everyone with any imagination or sense of daring wanted to see.
Live The Alice Cooper Band are much more r&b than on record they reworked their songs for their performances. "Sick Things"benefits most whilst "Dead Babies" loses out. The audience are almost religious in their manner, you can almost smell the inscence. Alice has a voice like hoarse thunder and his rapport with his crowd is masterly.

The show depends on its decapitational climax.
America! A country where even revolutionaries are conservative. Alice Cooper are the closest thing to revolutionaries she will ever see. Fear the blade? He's only worried about his manicured nails. The crowd rise as one man, then gasp as one man, the head is raised for inspection. The King Is Dead Long Live The Queen. Queen Alice! M A G N I F I C E N T

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello Hooray! Let the show begin..., 7 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This is one of the greatest rock albums ever made and even after three decades is still a vital part of any collection. I now have four copies of it, two original lp's and a previous cd and now this. Let's face it, no self respecting Alice Cooper fan would be without this recording in some form or another and they certainly don't need me to tell them how good it is. So why should they buy this particular edition? Well firstly there is the excellant packaging with cut-out pictures of the band, just like the vinyl version but smaller, plus a small booklet about the album. More importantly it comes with a second disc containing most of the set from the Billion dollar babies tour(Schools out and under my wheels absent) that many of the older fans(myself included) have been waiting for for 27 years. Why wasn't this released in 1974? It would certainly have been a big seller back then. The quality of the live recording is excellant and the original band prove that they are the masters of their craft. This is Alice at their peak, when they were threatening, when the songs were dangerous and about the real horrors and corruption boiling under the surface of the 'civilised' world. Not the nice cosy 'welcome to my nightmare' of later years. The original band may not have played all the notes in the correct order and pristine condition but they were innovative, stylish and more importantly they were a rock group. This is the most important release that Alice has had since 'welcome to my nightmare' and in my opinion it is more so because it captures an original group pushing rock to the limits as never before.

5.0 out of 5 stars On Top Of The World, 19 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Billion Dollar Babies (Audio CD)
At the pinnacle of their career, the A.C. group (plus Bob Ezrin) might have sprayed a mist of silvery, poppy sheen over this Number One effort, but underneath lay some very dark, tongue-in-cheek tales of terror. There's the powerhouse brass of 'Elected', the sinister dolls-in-the-attic Donovan duet of the title track, the pointed lyrics about anti-social brats in 'Generation Landslide' plus the infamous - so bonkers it can't be offensive - 'I Love The Dead'. (The most unsettling track is the very, VERY dubiously titled 'Raped And Freezin'; thankfully it's all about a stereotype turned on its head and the title is only sung once right at the end - nevertheless Alice was sailing close to the wind with this.)

There's a sickly sweet ode to Mary Whitehouse and a daft-as-a-brush tale of a demented dentist that incorporates a James Bond sound-a-like theme. Plus, 'No More Mr Nice Guy', one of their best ever singles, AND an ode to their fans in the guise of 'Sick Things'. (Unfortunately, by then, guitarist Glen Buxton's drug habit had overwhelmed him, and he was present in name only; Steve Hunter/Dick Wagner were the reliable 'fill-ins'.)

The deluxe version is obviously the best one to buy because:

a) it's re-mastered
b) it's got a second live disc

The live disc is from their BDB American concerts in 1973. There are a couple of surprising omissions - like the live 'School's Out' - but overall it's an excellent representation of the A.C. group (well, most of them!) at that time. Certainly it makes a nonsense of some of the then music critics' claims, who sneered that the Coopers were 'all show' and 'no music'. Alice is in fine voice and the band are really tight; Neal Smith's drums, on tracks like 'Billion Dollar Babies', are fantastic - they nearly jump out of the speakers.

There are also a few non-live bonus tracks, such as the rather intriguing outtake of 'Generation Landslide' and the rare 'Slick Black Limousine', which had previously been given away free with the N.M.E. (as a thank you flexi-disc) when A.C. had been voted band of the year. Considering properly mastered live concerts from the A.C. group years are as rare as hen's teeth then it makes double sense to get this deluxe version of the album!

Not one second of filler can be found here on either album, with the band (well, most of them!) playing like seasoned troopers, plus Alice giving it his sweetly, demented best. A true classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice's best? maybe........., 13 Feb. 2011
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As albums go,this is a belter,probably the best Alice Cooper(the group) studio recording.This remaster has a stunning sound,the album sounding as fresh today as it did 37 years ago.

disc 1 : The original album,choc full of classics,tracks such as 'Hello Hurray','Elected' & 'No More Mr Nice Guy' are still regularly to be heard in concert while the likes of 'Billion Dollar Babies/I Love The Dead' often performed in medley form.The rest ? well who hasnt grinned at the lyrics to 'Generation Landslide',winced at 'Unfinished Sweet',that bl**dy drill,whilst raising an eyebrow to 'Sick Things/Mary Ann' before wondering how he got away with a title like 'Raped and Freezin'?.This album more than any other of the early years,nailed it that this group was full of fantastic musicians,something that tends to get overlooked.A 5 star recording indeed.
''
Disc 2 : The holy grail,live recordings from 1973,8 tracks from the BDB disc plus 'Im Eighteen','My Stars' & 'Dead Babies' thrown in plus a couple of outakes.A sensational sound quality considering how old it is,you wonder why it wasnt realised at the time when live disc were all the rage!Live the band are a different beast without the studio constraints of Bob Ezrin,marvel at the band in its natural habitat.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I Have Other Uses For You Darling!', 23 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Billion Dollar Babies (Audio CD)
Hello Hooray is a great catchy tune and great opener to the album and is quickly followed by the tunefull Raped And Freezin' before Elected and Billion Dollar Babies really get things going. No More Mr Nice Guy is one of the alltime rock classics and Generation Landslide is brimming with inteligence. Sickthings is the stand out on the album as it pays homage to Alice's hardcore fans or 'Sickthings'. Mary Ann lets down the pace a little but I Love The Dead chills the bone to a fantastic finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 15 Oct. 2010
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
After the conceptual and not particularly great School's Out the year previous, Alice Coooper returned with a career best effort. This is a classic of the highest order. It's one of those albums that just works. It's studded with classic songs and feels cohesive in tone as a whole piece of music.

'Hello Hooray' is actually a cover but it fits the band like a glove and is a stunning opening, making the song their classic. 'Raped and Freezin' is not well known but is catchy as hell and a great throwback to their earlier albums, such as Love It To Death and Killer. 'Elected' is one of those songs that defy critique, like 'School's Out', as they have been so over-used in our culture from anything like adverts through actual political campaigns to film soundtracks. And the uninitiated may like to know that it is in fact a reworking of the track 'Reflected' (see what they did there?) from their first album, Pretties For You (another very worthy record). The title track is another classic of the highest order and has also become timeless. 'Unfinished Sweet' is the alternative track, there's always one or 2 on an album, but it is more coherent than most and is a great fun song. 'No More Mr Nice Guy' is yet another timeless classic that is ripe for covering by other bands. The Megadeth version is one such example of how different it can sound in another sub-genre without changing the song structure at all. 'Generation Landslide' is quite a side-step. It does fit with the rest but only just as it is almost a folk song. 'Sick Things' is a lesser known classic, very Alice. Dirty but with tongue firmly in cheek. 'Mary Anne' represents the kind of songs that would emerge after the band split up and Alice continued on his own and it does sound like a song played on a pianee in a western film. 'I Love the Dead' finishes it all off in true classic style, as anthemic as the opener.

Possibly their (and his) finest album as a whole. There have been other great albums and classic tracks but none quite so good as what is on offer here. With the possible exception of Welcome to My Nightmare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend This Album To Anyone Who Loves Good Music!, 18 Mar. 2003
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Some people will think only of School's Out when thinking of Alice Cooper, they should think again. This album has something for everyone. From the weird like Sick Things and I Love the Dead to the fantastic rock 'n' roll of Elected, No More Mr Nice Guy and the amazing title track, this one has it all. It needs no other description, let the music speak for itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most popular album, and one of the best, 22 July 2004
Billion Dollar Babies (1973.) Alice Cooper's sixth album.
Alice Cooper had released five albums, up to the beginning of 1973, all of which were excellent. From the bizzare-but-still-excellent psychedelic rock of the classic band's debut Pretties For You to the hard and bluesy School's Out, Alice Cooper's band proved to be a damn fine rock and roll quintet that could cover a plethora of styles. Alice Cooper, Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith, and Michael Bruce had proven their musical genius five times already, and in 1973, the band released Billion Dollar Babies, the album that would grant them their immortal status as rock and roll icons. Is the album overrated, or does it deserve its reputation? Read on for my review.
This album deserves every bit of praise it gets - period. Of the ten songs on the album, five of them went on to become fairly popular. Among the popular songs are the classic rock anthem No More Mr. Nice Guy, which is probably Alice Cooper's biggest hit ever released. And who could forget Elected, Alice classic "I want to be president" song? The song is actually a reworking of a much earlier tune the band released. In my opinion, the original version is better, but this version still rocks. The title track is the true highlight of the album; it's gloomy hard rock as only the Coop could do. And on this track, doing lead vocals with Alice, is none other than sixties pop star Donovan Leitch! Even though this song is basically as "anti-Donovan" sounding as you can get, he does a damn good job on it! The bluesy Generation Landslide is a sequel to the story told in the title track, and it too is excellent. Another fairly popular track is the mini-epic opener, Hello Hurray. It's too bad the band didn't release this song as a single, because I'm pretty sure it would have been a million plus seller. The other five tracks on the album are considerably less popular than these five, but they are no less excellent, for the most part. Raped And Freezin', Sick Things, and I Love The Dead are regular Alice Cooper masterpieces. Even the short little piano-heavy track, Mary Ann, is pretty good. In the end, this stands as one of Alice Cooper's strongest albums. It's no wonder so many fans call it his best and most popular.
In addition to the original CD issue of this album, there is a two-disc deluxe edition available. The deluxe version of the album has the complete original album on disc one, and a hell of a lot of bonus tracks on disc two. The bonus tracks are mostly live concert cuts, but there are a few demos and outtakes as well. The deluxe version costs more than the standard version, but not a whole lot more. Take my advice and shell out the extra cash for the deluxe edition.
Billion Dollar Babies is one of those rock and roll masterpieces that's just so good that it's hard to describe in words. Although not my personal favorite Alice Cooper album (that honor would have to go to 1971's Killer), many fans call it their favorite, and I really can't blame them for doing such. If you're new to Alice Cooper, this should be the first one of his albums that you buy. No classic rock collection is complete without this album - no questions asked.

Billion Dollar Babies
Billion Dollar Babies by Alice Cooper (Audio CD - 1992)