5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Alice and still sounding great !!!!!
Published on 14 Mar 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Album but not a Great Candidate for the Super Audio CD Treatment - an Ordinary CD Copy May be a Better Choice
This is a great album which brought back some great memories when I played it (it was one of the first albums I bought). As great as the music is, it was never really recorded as a super high quality performance, and the SACD faithfully reproduces this! The SACD seems to be a "master straight to DSD" copy; my perception is that very little re-mastering was done,...
Published 2 months ago by Whisky Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Alice and still sounding great !!!!!, 14 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This album still sounds good after all these years. I am 28 years of age so when it came out I was a bit young to here it but a freind of mine has the original on vinyl and I have listened to it many times. The cd takes nothing away from the vinyl and the live bonus cd is a great addition. I would recommend this album to anybody intrested in finding out about Alice Cooper as the music speaks for its self.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eighth Wonder Of The World, 12 Feb 2004
Billion Dollar Babies is less of a recording more of a monument to rock decadence. Scale, inception, packaging all unsurpassed, only secondarily is BDB one of the finest rock albums ever made.
Here in Britain the inner sleeve cornered every tabloid paper, Leo Abse MP, and Mary Whitehouse contrived to effectively stop the band from touring. Tour or no tour it went to number 1 and more worryingly for the rock mainstream dislodged Dark Side Of The Moon from the topping the charts.

So to the music. "Elected" with its megaphone vocal is the first to hook followed by the sparkling "Billion Dollar Babies", a rock'n'roll tango with our very own attic dancing transvestial villainesss exeling herself.
Spellbinding tracks set standards of their own. The magical" No More Mr Nice Guy", a debtor to the Who's "Substitute" told of the flak Alice's parents were receiving in America.
Donovan's acoustic contribution bolsters "Generation Landslide", and "Sick Things" is well________sick! Crying monstress laments loss of human toys. Feeling wronged she resigns herself to a fate of live concrete burial. Cheerful stuff lads.
"Mary Ann2 is a blissful throwback to days of greater innocence as well as a smart but silly piano ballad. "I Love The Dead" is a the corpedelicious farewell.
Where could they go from here? Nowhere they didn't want. There MUSIC WAS NOW OF LEGEND.
Actually they hit the road on the biggest tour in history for the time. The live disc is pure contraband. It manages to reflect the fact that in 1973 this was the one band everyone with any imagination or sense of daring wanted to see.
Live The Alice Cooper Band are much more r&b than on record they reworked their songs for their performances. "Sick Things"benefits most whilst "Dead Babies" loses out. The audience are almost religious in their manner, you can almost smell the inscence. Alice has a voice like hoarse thunder and his rapport with his crowd is masterly.

The show depends on its decapitational climax.
America! A country where even revolutionaries are conservative. Alice Cooper are the closest thing to revolutionaries she will ever see. Fear the blade? He's only worried about his manicured nails. The crowd rise as one man, then gasp as one man, the head is raised for inspection. The King Is Dead Long Live The Queen. Queen Alice! M A G N I F I C E N T

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello Hooray! Let the show begin..., 7 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This is one of the greatest rock albums ever made and even after three decades is still a vital part of any collection. I now have four copies of it, two original lp's and a previous cd and now this. Let's face it, no self respecting Alice Cooper fan would be without this recording in some form or another and they certainly don't need me to tell them how good it is. So why should they buy this particular edition? Well firstly there is the excellant packaging with cut-out pictures of the band, just like the vinyl version but smaller, plus a small booklet about the album. More importantly it comes with a second disc containing most of the set from the Billion dollar babies tour(Schools out and under my wheels absent) that many of the older fans(myself included) have been waiting for for 27 years. Why wasn't this released in 1974? It would certainly have been a big seller back then. The quality of the live recording is excellant and the original band prove that they are the masters of their craft. This is Alice at their peak, when they were threatening, when the songs were dangerous and about the real horrors and corruption boiling under the surface of the 'civilised' world. Not the nice cosy 'welcome to my nightmare' of later years. The original band may not have played all the notes in the correct order and pristine condition but they were innovative, stylish and more importantly they were a rock group. This is the most important release that Alice has had since 'welcome to my nightmare' and in my opinion it is more so because it captures an original group pushing rock to the limits as never before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billion Dollar Memories, 21 Aug 2009
B. J. Davies "EntilZha" (The Rhondda, South Wales) - See all my reviews
There are so many things about this album that I remember, from the way I bought it to the effect it had on my father (to my delight) and to the pleasure of listening to it.

I was 13 years old and had saved up my pocket money, when I had enough I gave it to my mum who went to Woolworths and bought it for me. I was on pins waiting for her to come home.

On opening the LP I was sorely tempted to pull out all the pictures there and then - I never did and the billion dollar note is still a treasure as I have kept this album and still have it complete with all the pieces intact 36 years later.

This CD is a must for any fan of this album, Alice Cooper, or in fact anyone who, was a rebellious teenager in the seventies. And if anything was going to personify how different we were from our Elvis-loving parents it was Alice Cooper and his antics with baby dolls, snakes and chickens and fake blood - partly the reason why I initially saved for LP in the first place.

My father hated it, he hated him, hated the things he got up to and my mother was not too impressed either. My father hated me playing my records and this album in particular - I loved every moment of my youth and this music was a very big part of it.

It is one for the few albums of which I love every track and never reach for the remote to press the `skip' button.

From `Hello Hooray' right through to the last track called ` I love The dead' which I made my father listen to, this album is superb. The second CD is a fabulous addition, and I agree with others that it should have been released all those years ago on vinyl. Speaking personally, this album is worth having purely because I can remember playing it for the first time on my Thorn/EMI Stereo on that Saturday afternoon when I got it, and I can remember the pleasure it always gives me when I play it now, and the perverse pleasure it gave me when playing it to torture my parents - the creaking sounds and the plop when the gums, visible only in my vivid imagination, plopped into the water in `Unfinished Sweet' are still as vivid now as it was then, The lead up to, and the end of `I Love The Dead! in particular will stay with me till the day I die.....

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I Have Other Uses For You Darling!', 23 April 2000
This review is from: Billion Dollar Babies (Audio CD)
Hello Hooray is a great catchy tune and great opener to the album and is quickly followed by the tunefull Raped And Freezin' before Elected and Billion Dollar Babies really get things going. No More Mr Nice Guy is one of the alltime rock classics and Generation Landslide is brimming with inteligence. Sickthings is the stand out on the album as it pays homage to Alice's hardcore fans or 'Sickthings'. Mary Ann lets down the pace a little but I Love The Dead chills the bone to a fantastic finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend This Album To Anyone Who Loves Good Music!, 18 Mar 2003
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Some people will think only of School's Out when thinking of Alice Cooper, they should think again. This album has something for everyone. From the weird like Sick Things and I Love the Dead to the fantastic rock 'n' roll of Elected, No More Mr Nice Guy and the amazing title track, this one has it all. It needs no other description, let the music speak for itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most popular album, and one of the best, 22 July 2004
Billion Dollar Babies (1973.) Alice Cooper's sixth album.
Alice Cooper had released five albums, up to the beginning of 1973, all of which were excellent. From the bizzare-but-still-excellent psychedelic rock of the classic band's debut Pretties For You to the hard and bluesy School's Out, Alice Cooper's band proved to be a damn fine rock and roll quintet that could cover a plethora of styles. Alice Cooper, Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith, and Michael Bruce had proven their musical genius five times already, and in 1973, the band released Billion Dollar Babies, the album that would grant them their immortal status as rock and roll icons. Is the album overrated, or does it deserve its reputation? Read on for my review.
This album deserves every bit of praise it gets - period. Of the ten songs on the album, five of them went on to become fairly popular. Among the popular songs are the classic rock anthem No More Mr. Nice Guy, which is probably Alice Cooper's biggest hit ever released. And who could forget Elected, Alice classic "I want to be president" song? The song is actually a reworking of a much earlier tune the band released. In my opinion, the original version is better, but this version still rocks. The title track is the true highlight of the album; it's gloomy hard rock as only the Coop could do. And on this track, doing lead vocals with Alice, is none other than sixties pop star Donovan Leitch! Even though this song is basically as "anti-Donovan" sounding as you can get, he does a damn good job on it! The bluesy Generation Landslide is a sequel to the story told in the title track, and it too is excellent. Another fairly popular track is the mini-epic opener, Hello Hurray. It's too bad the band didn't release this song as a single, because I'm pretty sure it would have been a million plus seller. The other five tracks on the album are considerably less popular than these five, but they are no less excellent, for the most part. Raped And Freezin', Sick Things, and I Love The Dead are regular Alice Cooper masterpieces. Even the short little piano-heavy track, Mary Ann, is pretty good. In the end, this stands as one of Alice Cooper's strongest albums. It's no wonder so many fans call it his best and most popular.
In addition to the original CD issue of this album, there is a two-disc deluxe edition available. The deluxe version of the album has the complete original album on disc one, and a hell of a lot of bonus tracks on disc two. The bonus tracks are mostly live concert cuts, but there are a few demos and outtakes as well. The deluxe version costs more than the standard version, but not a whole lot more. Take my advice and shell out the extra cash for the deluxe edition.
Billion Dollar Babies is one of those rock and roll masterpieces that's just so good that it's hard to describe in words. Although not my personal favorite Alice Cooper album (that honor would have to go to 1971's Killer), many fans call it their favorite, and I really can't blame them for doing such. If you're new to Alice Cooper, this should be the first one of his albums that you buy. No classic rock collection is complete without this album - no questions asked.

5.0 out of 5 stars all in all probably the best...., 21 Jan 2004
G. A. Thompson "alicenightmare" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billion Dollar Babies (Audio CD)
I originally bought this classic album from the coop way back in 1973 at the age of 12! And now today,31 years on the album still stands up as a piece of rock history.This was the first alice album I'd bought on release having bought the single of schools out,because i'd seen all the clips in the papers about banning the 'sick pop star'.What publicity to a teenager,and the album when put on the turntable,matched that hype!(i got all the previous soon after).
It opens with 'hello hooray',an obvious opener for all the gigs at the time too(and in fact the bare bones tour)brilliant anthemic rock ballad type of song.Next a bit of controversy, 'raped and freezin' ,an upbeat rocker brilliant solos in the middle by bruce and buxton! 'elected' follows,we all know this!!!then the title track,dueting with such an unlikely;Donovan!!!great song and great drums from smith. 'unfinished sweet' follows with its scary dentist theme with the extraction in the middle,dreamin of beinng 007 james bond under the gas,great rock song theatre.
Then comes 'no more mr nice guy' another classic hit from the album. 'generation landslide' is next,another classic with brilliant solos at he end and harmonica solo from the man himself. 'sick things' follows,spooky,dont turn the lights out! which runs into 'mary ann' a piano ballad and sadly not one of the best that the coop has done. finally 'i love the dead' fantastic bit of the macabre,still used today when the guillotine comes down.
All in all probably the best from the rest and definatley the album you should buy first if your new to alice and want to see what the coop was/is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice at his very best, 15 Nov 2008
Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Billion Dollar Babies (Audio CD)
This is a great album.Alice Cooper has made quite a few albums that could be classed as great but this is him(and his band)at his very peak.There are many tracks that stnd out including 'Hello Hooray','No More Mister Nice Guy','Billion Dollar Babies' and the fantastic 'Elected'.

I can honestly say that this album sounds as good today as it did when it was originally released.A true classic,brilliantly produced by Bob Ezrin and absolutely essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billion Dollar Brilliance, 26 Feb 2001
stevenpacker@which.co.uk (Milton Keynes, England.) - See all my reviews
I first listened to this album on vinyl on its release in 1973 when I was an angry thirteen year old adolescent. The thought of a pop star wielding a boaconstricta on stage and wearing black eye make up seemed peversely interesting at the time. When I discovered his stage show incuded executing dolls and collecting their heads in a basket my liking for Alice Cooper grew to fanatical extremes. The re-release of this remastered CD comes accompanied with a bonus second disc recorded during last years "Brutally Live 2000 Tour" and with the exception of a very subdued audience confirms what an excellent and exciting performer Alice Cooper is. Billion Dollar Babies kicks off with "Hello Hurray" and to quote the line "Let the Show begin Iv'e been ready" he launches into a bitter sweet attack of American society and it's prima donna inhabitants. "Raped and freezing" is a chilling track that along with "I love the Dead"could have quite easily graced the new "Hanibal" film with its shloch horror lyrics. "Elected"oozes satirical criticism of the American Preidential voting system and an almost anti-American Dream viewpoint as does the title track "Billion Dollar Babies" that portrays a whole different meaning to the expression "born with a silver spoon in your mouth". I would defy anyone to listen to "Unfinished Sweet" and still return to the dentists chair. The tooth pulling finale is enough to set anyones teeth on edge."Mary Anne" is the oddity on the album with it almost qualifying to be a ballad but we know Alice is only joking when he reaches the end of the album with "Sick things",a grotesque anthem of horrolific proportion. So there we have it, twenty seven years on from its original release and sounding as fresh and vibrant as in 1973. He may be getting on a bit but Alice Cooper still knows how to shock. Long may he do so!

Billion Dollar Babies
Billion Dollar Babies by Alice Cooper (Audio CD - 1992)