‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 10 July 2005
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
I'm a young Alice fan, first attracted by 'Wayne's World' and seeing repeats of 'Schools Out' on the BBCs Top of the Pops 2. So, like the heathen I am, I feel more inclined to rave about the later albums - and I do love 'Trash' best of all. Sometimes, whilst appreciating the quality and ground-breaking nature of albums like 'Love it to Death', it can be difficult to love them as much as you think you should when you didn't live through the era - when you're used to Alice's snarling vocals and hard rock, not to mention fantastic recording quality, some of the earlier albums are harder to get to grips with. But 'Killer' is the one early album that I would recommend any new fan buys. It's hard rock. It's teenage angst ( I was 18 when I bought it...I prefer 'You Drive Me Nervous' to 'I'm Eighteen', classic though the latter might be) It's the sinister side of Alice in full force. I think more than any other early albums it shows the way Alice Cooper will develop. 'Under My Wheels' is a great rockin' track and a staple of his live shows even now. 'Dead Babies' is also a necessity to own if you've ever heard it live. My other faves are 'Be My Lover' and (one of my favourite ever Alice tracks)'Desperado', both great musically and lyrically and fantastic to sing along to. Even if you like 'Trash' and 'Dragontown' better than 'School's Out' and 'Billion Dollar Babies' you should own 'Killer'. It's the sort of album Alice could release now and, if you excuse the (in my opinion) weaker vocals and slightly tinny sound, it wouldn't be out of place. All Alice Cooper fans should own this album. To me it defines what Alice was at the time and marks out the path for what he would become - truly great.

5.0 out of 5 stars this has to be the best early cooper album, 22 Jan 2004
G. A. Thompson "alicenightmare" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
Way way back in 1971,this was the first album recorded by the 5 original band members called Alice Cooper from a position of fame,found a year earlier with '18' off 'Love it to death' .
I got this album in '72 after buying 'school's out' at the tender age of 11.
I'd say to any new fan of the coop that this is a must album to have,one which captures alice's harder side of the music.
Killer opens with the quick paced rocker 'under my wheels' still used today as part of the stage show,quickly followed by michael bruces 'be my lover' ,which is definatley someones life story to date. track 3 is the epic 'halo of flies' with its eastern theme and heavy rock,changing by violins to a drum and bass section,and ending franetically as a crescendo.Pure classic alice(and whats missing from todays albums).Desperado is a very clever ballad/rock chorus of a gun slinger from the wild west,another class song!
Track 5 is possibly the weakest of the album but still no mean song with its wailing guitars 'you drive me nervous' then 'yeah yeah yeah','under my wing,youcan pull my leg or anything' a first sight of a little humour. 'Dead babies' visits the macabre side of alice,with little betty eating a pound of aspirin from the shelf upon the wall,brilliant.
the last track and title track is a return to the 'black juju' type of theme,which definatley has occultist overtones with its rock verses,middle rock instrumental(just like the longer tracks off easy action or pretties for you)then the wailing vocals and seance like chanting finishing off with the organ and drums to the hanging. Inspirational!!!!!
If you like the lighter side of alice,go for billion dollar babies, but for the dark side of the coop,this has to be the best early cooper album of them all

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this!!, 7 Aug 2008
Jim Pickering (Pennycomequick) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
Had this since 1972. Vinyl with a gatefold calendar. It may sound slightly dated but to me is still the finest 35 mins of Rock and Roll mayhem ever recorded. From the well known Under my Wheels / Desperado and the epic Halo of Flies to the 2 and a half minutes of You Drive me Nervous (did Garage Rock ever get any better). This is a class album. He never better'd this as a solo artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving The Assassins, 8 Feb 2004
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
I first bought this back in 1972. They looked the sickest most demented bunch of Dudes I had ever seen. I knew I was buying the most dangerous band rock had to offer at the time but I didn't think I was buying the finest album I would ever hear.
Under My Wheels kicks off, an scream of a song but it is pure foreplay for the delectable Be My Lover a piece of voyeuristic cabaret penned solely by guitarist Michael bruce and given the Mae West "come up and see me some time " treatment by Alice. This leads into Halo Of Flies the band's "progressive song" which is actually 4 songs in one. All galloping guitars and shimmering percussion it's a journy of espionage and intrigue which has Alice even mimmicking Julie Andrews a la Sound Of Music. Desparado has beautiful opening chords and is to this day my all time favourite rock ballad.
You Drive Me Nervous does just that and Alice's vocal on Yeah Yeah Yeah would have Daltry bursting a blood vessel & Jagger throwing up.
The stagepiece is Dead Babies a truly harrowing tale of parental neglect which musically owes most Denis Dunaway's heavy bassline. The crowd demand Alice be hanged but it is Alice Cooper who are passing sentence. The days of the peace & love generation were numbered for that matter there was a time bomb ticking under civilisation.
The finale & title track sees Alice hanging, hanging but triumphant, triumphant & unassailable. There were Peter Pans out there. Now there was a Captain Hook. The summer of love went on too long then it rained forever. Alice Cooper had arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer - What Rock Music Should Be All about, 24 July 2003
Stuart Ivory (Skipton, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
I got Alice Cooper's classic album "Killer" last Christmas after spotting it in a shop in Burnley. I was just getting into his music at the time and I was a bit dubious. However, when I got my grubby little hands on it on Christmas morning 2002, I was far from disappointed. "Halo of Flies" should be up there with the best rock tracks of all time - the riffs and drum solos are arguably the best I have ever heard. The most important thing is VALUE FOR MONEY - I got it for around £8, and IT DOES NOT DISAPPOINT I can assure you.
"Killer" is a classic from start to finish. "Dead Babies" is a track in which Alice's "shock rock" tendencies shine through; it is an ever-popular crowd pleaser. "Halo of Flies" is the creme de la creme - an 8 minute gem that gives Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" a run for their money.
If you're a seasoned Alice Cooper fan and you haven't got your mitts on it yet, then PULL YOUR FINGER OUT!!! If you're new to Alice Cooper's work, there's no better way to start your collection of his/their genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Alice Cooper band at their rawest & best, 28 April 2000
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
For me this HAS to be the best cooper album.Written at a time when they had reached their songwriting capabilities without sacrificing their early rawness for me this album is essential listening,opening with the classic UNDER MY WHEELS this album just rocks like a beast and even with the slower numbers like DEAD BABIES the intensity is still there.Although after this album the band became a huge household name I don`t think they ever topped this album. Granted BILLION DOLLAR BABIES was a great album too I still think this was the Cooper band at thier best. A raw rock n roll band before all the gimmicks & stage props began to take over.I don`t think I can recommend this album enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Invention & Melodic Heaven From Alice, 28 Jun 2009
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
Featuring the 'famous five' of Cooper, Smith, Dunaway, Buxton and Bruce, this 1971 follow-up to the sublime "Love It To Death" is a fine album that contains more of the wonderful invention and melodic know-how of its predecessor.

The poppish "Under My Wheels" and "Be My Lover" are followed by the superb "Halo Of Flies", a track full of interesting chord structures and musical diversity. "Desperado", "You Drive Me Nervous" and, less so, "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" continue the demonstration of how good rock songs should be written, arranged and performed. However, it is the final two tracks that stand out for me. The irresistible "Dead Babies" (with its memorable chorus) leading into the title track - the closing "Killer" is proof that the band veered towards prog during this period.

These five men produced an audio chemistry that was unique in the Alice Cooper canon and the band was never the same after 1973. This CD is not a remaster and does not feature any bonus tracks but I still thoroughly recommend it - a truly remarkable album full of musical promise that is mostly fulfilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cooper classic, 6 Dec 2001
Mark Goodman (Chippenham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
This is one of Alice's best
Real raw guitar rockers such as Under my wheels and You drive me nervous really kick start the album. Killer sounds like a sinsiter James Bond movie. Desperado is a ballad of real feeling and class. Halo of flies is an epic masterpiece, just check out Neal Smith's drums !!
If you are an Alice fan, you must have this album. If you are not, check it out it really is that good !

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer rock, 28 Sep 2000
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
Without a doubt the greatest Alice Cooper album ever made. Every song on this record is a classic and sets the way for all that followed. Each song is a nail in the coffin of the hippy generation and the turning point in rock music. High energy, raw power and great,sometimes shocking lyrics put this in my all time top ten albums. No Alice fan could live without this record and no rock fan should.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sensational Classic Rock Album, 13 Nov 2007
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Killer (Audio CD)
This is a truly excellent rock album & catches old Vince at the top of his game. The whole album is tip top quality & songs like "Halo Of Flies" (which has to be seen to be believed when performed live) & "Killer" are standout classics but the album is jam packed with songs which you can get lost in ("Desperado", a refrain for the old West gunfighter being a vivid example). "Under My Wheels" is a song the New York Dolls would have been proud of & "Dead Babies" hints at the vaudeville "horror" to come in the masterpiece "Welcome To My Nghtmare" album.
A cracking album & a real standard bearer for Alice Cooper - highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Killer
Killer by Alice Cooper (Audio CD - 1989)