5.0 out of 5 stars Alone in the Paint Box
The literary classics endure the test of time because of the universal nature of the human condition; the great works address these tender truths in a timeless way. Pop culture rarely has a claim to this type of insight, but " Blue" raised the stakes for what a singer/songwriter could accomplish.

To begin, the record is obviously a 180 degree look at a life...
Published on 29 April 2007 by Shannon Freeman

2.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SONGS SOUND AWFUL
Well, I think Joni Mitchell is a great songwriter (This Flight Tonight being an outstanding example on this album) and I loved her singing on the Clouds album but for some reason the vocals on Blue just come across as sheer caterwauling. It really set my teeth on edge and I couldn't listen to it more than half way through. Is it a recording issue maybe?
Published 5 months ago by Steve B

5.0 out of 5 stars Alone in the Paint Box, 29 April 2007
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)

To begin, the record is obviously a 180 degree look at a life that has had its share of joy and pain, producing an effort that allows the listener to see the artist, but also see him/herself. The journey begins with the giddy optimism of " All I Want"; the middle eloquently details "Blue", the state of being and the torment of distructive love, a condition most have suffered. The end brings a sense of renewal, imploring "Richard" to see a dark time as a phase as opposed to a fate. In the interim we get to travel to far flung places ( " Carey"), wistfully long for home ( " California") and reflect on treasures lost and found ( " River"). One has to be moved by "Blue", even with the hipster inspired vernacular found in some of the lyrics. Mitchell's three octave range is best used in this release as well, a feature seemingly elusive in later work.

It is understandable why Ms. Mitchell would be disappointed when people fail to respond to her more profound observations; however, "Blue" draws because of the confession that any of us could make, although in a less poetic manner. " Blue" stands the test of time because it seeps from the human heart, straight into one's speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate version..., 25 Nov 2003
Milt Ingarfield "milt_fm" (Arbroath, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
This album was originally released in 1971 and runs at less than 37 minutes long, but on it's own has influenced more singer song writer than any other album, from Prince,Alicia Keys,Gemma Hayes and Kate Bush to name but a few, they all tip their hat to Joni's Blue.

If you are a Joni Mitchell fan and are lucky enough to find a copy of this C.D. just buy it regardless of the cost, you will not be sorry.

This version of Blue offers the listener greater clarity of sound that a standard aluminium pressed compact discs do not offer,this version is pressed in 24 carat Gold.

The playback of the album is nothing short of stunning,the bass is now deeper and the high end is now a lot crisper, this is achieved by the manufacturer(DCC compact classics inc)using the original 2 master tapes on a custom made vacuum tube mastering system for the digital transfer this allows the mastering process to occur without further sonic manipulation.

What you hear is what Joni Mitchell recorded and nothing else,the background hiss caused by the tapes on C.D. before is gone.
This process plus the use of Gold in the pressing creates a musical experience that has to be heard to be believed.

This re-issue even recreates the original American artwork.

The album still opens with the track All I Want as always, and from the first note the listener can tell this isn't the usual sound this album has on C.D.

A high point of this collection for me is the bass and guitar playing by Stephen Stills on the song Carey, that with this version has even greater depth and feeling.

Another guest player of note on this album is James Taylor who plays guitar on the tracks California,All I Want and A Case of You.

The song This Flight Tonight(gave the Scottish band Nazareth a big hit in 70's) still has it's strange middle 8, but even more stand-out in this version of the album.

The centre song of the whole album for me A Case of You with the lines "I would still be on my feet",Oh I am a lonely painter,I live in a box of paints" Ms Mitchell as always is talking about herself and reveals more about herself than most song writers would.

This is why for me this is a timeless classic recording that has more raw emotion than any album of this genre has ever had then or since, every music fan should own a copy in one form or another, but if you can find this version buy it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely mindblowing, 2 Sep 2005
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
There are no words in the English language (I don't speak any other) to describe how utterly outstanding this album is. I just can't explain it. It's so unbelievably fantastic. I'm not worried how cliched this sounds - I'd put it up there as one of the greatest works of art (and that's not specific to music) produced in the late 20th century. I can't put it simpler; there's no way to avoid cliché when reviewing something this good.
It's almost as if Joni Mitchell took her soul, split into ten parts and put it on record. And she managed such a rare thing. She wrote ten songs which are not only incredibly accessible and so beautiful to hear (a long-winded way of saying they are insanely CATCHY) but which are also so deceptively complex, both melodically and lyrically. I can't imagine removing one of them, or adding to it in any way; the album exists as a perfect whole--this lady's soul wrapped up in ten tracks--and that is what makes it a masterpiece.
In pouring out her deepest emotions, she created a blueprint for the human soul and that's why it connects to so many people, three decades after its release. Buy it. I implore anyone who's looking for that level of depth you only find with a genius like this.
And I'll finish by saying this; every time I've looked at the reviews of this album here, it's been in the top 200 albums for sales rank. As I write this it's the 173rd best-selling album, and a few weeks ago it was the 62nd. Is that not incredible, nearly thirty five years after its release? Is that not encouragement enough? Is that not really saying something?

5.0 out of 5 stars something to enrich your life, 23 Nov 2001
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
This album sends shivers through my body and reminds me of the wonder that is the world just at the very thought of it. Classics, such as 'Blue' and up-beat, spirit-lifting tunes like 'California' have travelled around the world with me, picked me up when things aren't quite going right and reminded me that everything is good, despite what it seems like at that moment. Joni herself sings 'I am on a lonely road and I am travelling, looking for something, what can it be?' and if this isn't enough to remind you that even when you are alone there are other people, beautiful people, feeling the same way, then what is? I would say, buy it, fill yourself with it and let it enrich your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni sets the standard, 7 Oct 2002
Mr G L Thorpe (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
1971 seems to have been a year in which singer-songwriters were overly flushed with inspiration, churning out what would prove to be their best work for years. Sitting confidently next to other classics of the period, such as Carole King's 'Tapestry' and Bowie's 'Hunky Dory', Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' is arguably her best record ever. Though, as you might guess, the general mood of the album tends towards melancholia, there are also inspirational gems like 'Carey' and 'California' to remind you how wonderful everything sometimes is! Extolling the virtues of love and a free life, these songs offer you a vision of living where simplicity is the key to happiness: "I'll rent me a grand piano, and put some flowers round my room . . " It can't get much better than that . .

5.0 out of 5 stars constant as the northern star, 27 Jan 2006
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
The definitive singer/ songwriter album is an understatement for this work of art. It's always annoyed me that the most gifted artist working in the "POP" arena, has always been labelled or typecast into such narrow divisions. The greatest FEMALE songwriter? Well of course, but which Male is better? Since the early seventies, she set the standard and even Mr. Dylan sights her as one of his very few peers.So who among them sings, plays, writes, produces, paints the cover - even today, no one has equalled her. So BLUE should be your starting point as an introduction to this amazing artist. She sings, plays and writes in her own blood, with an honesty that will break your heart. Follow this with Hejira and Turbulent Indigo and you'll realise she really has no peers. GENIUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Joni Mitchell fan, 21 Oct 2005
Charles Stobert "frogMagic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
Since buying this album I have been listening to it almost compulsively! I had heard of Joni Mitchell and had never before heard her music. Now I can see what all the fuss is about.
Her voice is authentic and completely entrancing. I have been singing all my life and can completely appreciate her tone and vibrato (described by some as 'warbling' which I don't think does it justice!).
Each song has its own charm but the opening song is magical, pulling you into the album. I find myself pressing 'play' again just to hear the opening refrain 'I am on a lonely road and I am travelling, travelling, travelling...'. Other favourites are 'My Old Man' which is a piano and voice combo.
The album is spare, almost minimal, but this allows her voice and lyrics to shine and, being a sucker for singer / songwriters, I love it! I have read this album described as the 'perfect example' of the singer / songwriter's art. Joni Mitchell is indeed a poet and for an example of the genre you could not go far wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album you could ever buy, 3 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
Blue by Joni Mitchell is one of those rare albums that is loved by a huge variety of music lovers. Whatever you're into, you will love this album after a few listens. Give it a chance and it pierces your soul. The songs embed themselves in you're phyche and you're hooked. The whole album is powerful, beautiful and inspiring and whether you are feeling happy, sad or lonely, it's one you want to listen to. An album that matches every mood - the most special music that i have ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless soundtrack to your life story, 12 May 2001
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
This album is wonderful. Must admit that when I first bought it, I spring cleaned my room, put the album tidily at the back of the cupboard and forgot I had it, so didn't listen to it for the next two years (which I guess shows how rarely I clean my house!) Rediscovered it just before Xmas last year and it's been in or near my CD player since. There's something about her lyrics and those amazing guitar chords which makes these songs so real to me, invoking images and moods and sometimes tears (like last week on a plane home I was listening to "This Flight Tonight" on headphones and it made me cry- got a lot of funny looks from the other passengers!). I can relate to these tracks, and they have influenced my own style of songwriting in a way that few other artists have ever done. Buy this album. Go on. I dare you. Trust me, it will become the soundtrack to your life (if you don't let it get lost at the back of a cupboard first...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still my all time favorite, 27 Feb 2003
Mr. GF Settle (Cheshire,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
Back in 1971 when I first heard the LP reviwed on a Saturday afternoon on Radio ONE I was 18 and rushed out and bourght it that same day.
Over 30 years later and I haven't listened to anything as good, it's simply my all time favorite. The LP has long since gone learnt to my Step Sister for her party, it disappeared with my Band and Carole King 'Tapestry'. It was a fantasic period for releases and Joni was the best of the best.
The emotion, thought, story telling, pictures she paints in your mind bring tears to your eyes, hope, optimism and make you happy to be alive. It definitely not a sad colection of songs and all of us have been experienced what she describes or if you are 30 years younger than me then you will be.
Lessons of Love are interwoven in the words and music about the peaks and troughs a real good roller coaster of a ride.
To pick single out one track would not be not be fair they are all tremendous and timeless, definitely a work to cherish and given the price of the CD you will not spend a better fiver in your life.
You'll just have to trust me on that.

Blue
Blue by Joni Mitchell (Audio CD - 1988)