5.0 out of 5 stars constant as the northern star
Published on 27 Jan 2006 by Gerard Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SONGS SOUND AWFUL
Well, I think Joni Mitchell is a great songwriter (This Flight Tonight being an outstanding example on this album) and I loved her singing on the Clouds album but for some reason the vocals on Blue just come across as sheer caterwauling. It really set my teeth on edge and I couldn't listen to it more than half way through. Is it a recording issue maybe? PS I should make...
Published 9 months ago by Steve B

5.0 out of 5 stars constant as the northern star, 27 Jan 2006
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
The definitive singer/ songwriter album is an understatement for this work of art. It's always annoyed me that the most gifted artist working in the "POP" arena, has always been labelled or typecast into such narrow divisions. The greatest FEMALE songwriter? Well of course, but which Male is better? Since the early seventies, she set the standard and even Mr. Dylan sights her as one of his very few peers.So who among them sings, plays, writes, produces, paints the cover - even today, no one has equalled her. So BLUE should be your starting point as an introduction to this amazing artist. She sings, plays and writes in her own blood, with an honesty that will break your heart. Follow this with Hejira and Turbulent Indigo and you'll realise she really has no peers. GENIUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni sets the standard, 7 Oct 2002
Mr G L Thorpe (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
1971 seems to have been a year in which singer-songwriters were overly flushed with inspiration, churning out what would prove to be their best work for years. Sitting confidently next to other classics of the period, such as Carole King's 'Tapestry' and Bowie's 'Hunky Dory', Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' is arguably her best record ever. Though, as you might guess, the general mood of the album tends towards melancholia, there are also inspirational gems like 'Carey' and 'California' to remind you how wonderful everything sometimes is! Extolling the virtues of love and a free life, these songs offer you a vision of living where simplicity is the key to happiness: "I'll rent me a grand piano, and put some flowers round my room . . " It can't get much better than that . .

5.0 out of 5 stars New Joni Mitchell fan, 21 Oct 2005
Charles Stobert "frogMagic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
Since buying this album I have been listening to it almost compulsively! I had heard of Joni Mitchell and had never before heard her music. Now I can see what all the fuss is about.
Her voice is authentic and completely entrancing. I have been singing all my life and can completely appreciate her tone and vibrato (described by some as 'warbling' which I don't think does it justice!).
Each song has its own charm but the opening song is magical, pulling you into the album. I find myself pressing 'play' again just to hear the opening refrain 'I am on a lonely road and I am travelling, travelling, travelling...'. Other favourites are 'My Old Man' which is a piano and voice combo.
The album is spare, almost minimal, but this allows her voice and lyrics to shine and, being a sucker for singer / songwriters, I love it! I have read this album described as the 'perfect example' of the singer / songwriter's art. Joni Mitchell is indeed a poet and for an example of the genre you could not go far wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album you could ever buy, 3 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
Blue by Joni Mitchell is one of those rare albums that is loved by a huge variety of music lovers. Whatever you're into, you will love this album after a few listens. Give it a chance and it pierces your soul. The songs embed themselves in you're phyche and you're hooked. The whole album is powerful, beautiful and inspiring and whether you are feeling happy, sad or lonely, it's one you want to listen to. An album that matches every mood - the most special music that i have ever heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fractured and frayed, 24 Jan 2007
Greg Farefield-Rose (Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
Blue is nearly always the highest placed Joni Mitchell album in any polls of favourite LPs. Although the under-rated Clouds is my personal favourite, I can understand why so many people can relate in moments of sadness to the desperate, pure introspection of Joni's fourth LP.

Yes, stark, fragile and uncomfortably intimate are all words generally used in any review of Blue and though they tell a large part of the story they don't quite reflect the whole LP. For in amongst the beautiful fractured ballads, there are more buoyant upbeat songs such as Carey, This Flight Tonight and A Case Of You though it's still fair to say that it's the heart-wrenching slower songs that define this album. Such an emphasis is further placed by the artist herself with the selection of a sad looking, blue and white photo on the cover rather than one of Joni's more colourful paintings which adorn most of her other releases.

On to the music itself, it's interesting to notice that the main composing instrument in the majority of songs is piano or Joni's recently acquired dulcimer rather than guitar. The piano preference is a further pointer towards the downbeat mood with highlights for me being the classic River, soulful Last Time I Saw Richard and My Old Man, a song written I believe about Joni's former partner Graham Nash. Among the songs written on the dulcimer are the opener All I Want and California, a well phrased, more upbeat hankering for home by Mitchell whilst on soul search intercontinental travels prior to the recording of Blue. All personal stuff though the most private song of all was written on the guitar. Green features oblique lyrics which only years later were revealed to be about the baby daughter a young Joni gave up for adoption with whom she was movingly reunited in the 90s.

Very personal music indeed with the introspective mood enhanced by the very sparing but well chosen instrumental embellishments provided by Stephen Stills, James Taylor, Sneaky Pete and Russ Kunkel. Indeed for much of the album's recording the only people in the studio were Joni herself and engineer Henry Lewy.

Blue is an excellent desolate album which, although not immediately melodic and catchy, is well worth persevering with. It is one of the ultimate, introverted singer-songwriters LPs and is well worth purchasing though don't just buy the Joni Mitchell poll topper - try the more upbeat, fuller musical palettes of the aforementioned Clouds, Ladies Of The Canyon and Hissing Of The Summer Lawns as well...

5.0 out of 5 stars something to enrich your life, 23 Nov 2001
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
This album sends shivers through my body and reminds me of the wonder that is the world just at the very thought of it. Classics, such as 'Blue' and up-beat, spirit-lifting tunes like 'California' have travelled around the world with me, picked me up when things aren't quite going right and reminded me that everything is good, despite what it seems like at that moment. Joni herself sings 'I am on a lonely road and I am travelling, looking for something, what can it be?' and if this isn't enough to remind you that even when you are alone there are other people, beautiful people, feeling the same way, then what is? I would say, buy it, fill yourself with it and let it enrich your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless soundtrack to your life story, 12 May 2001
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
This album is wonderful. Must admit that when I first bought it, I spring cleaned my room, put the album tidily at the back of the cupboard and forgot I had it, so didn't listen to it for the next two years (which I guess shows how rarely I clean my house!) Rediscovered it just before Xmas last year and it's been in or near my CD player since. There's something about her lyrics and those amazing guitar chords which makes these songs so real to me, invoking images and moods and sometimes tears (like last week on a plane home I was listening to "This Flight Tonight" on headphones and it made me cry- got a lot of funny looks from the other passengers!). I can relate to these tracks, and they have influenced my own style of songwriting in a way that few other artists have ever done. Buy this album. Go on. I dare you. Trust me, it will become the soundtrack to your life (if you don't let it get lost at the back of a cupboard first...)

5.0 out of 5 stars My world changed, 21 July 2008
J. C. Chamberlain (Manchester, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
I first heard the song Case of You in the film Practical Magic and thought how wonderful it was. I bought the film soundtrack (the whole music selection for the film was pretty good) and then i bought the album Blue to see what the rest of Jonis work was like.

I fell in love with the album so completely, that now i've moved to MP3 and sold 99% of my CD's i can't bear to part with this one. One of the others is Court & Spark.

The music is so simple, the strings, drums, and her voice- the most wonderful voice i have ever heard, conveying such emotion that the music and words combined make the whole album an amazing rollercoaster of feelings and thoughts.

I'd recommend to anyone who has ever felt any kind of emotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still my all time favorite, 27 Feb 2003
Mr. GF Settle (Cheshire,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
Back in 1971 when I first heard the LP reviwed on a Saturday afternoon on Radio ONE I was 18 and rushed out and bourght it that same day.
Over 30 years later and I haven't listened to anything as good, it's simply my all time favorite. The LP has long since gone learnt to my Step Sister for her party, it disappeared with my Band and Carole King 'Tapestry'. It was a fantasic period for releases and Joni was the best of the best.
The emotion, thought, story telling, pictures she paints in your mind bring tears to your eyes, hope, optimism and make you happy to be alive. It definitely not a sad colection of songs and all of us have been experienced what she describes or if you are 30 years younger than me then you will be.
Lessons of Love are interwoven in the words and music about the peaks and troughs a real good roller coaster of a ride.
To pick single out one track would not be not be fair they are all tremendous and timeless, definitely a work to cherish and given the price of the CD you will not spend a better fiver in your life.
You'll just have to trust me on that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely mindblowing, 2 Sep 2005
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
There are no words in the English language (I don't speak any other) to describe how utterly outstanding this album is. I just can't explain it. It's so unbelievably fantastic. I'm not worried how cliched this sounds - I'd put it up there as one of the greatest works of art (and that's not specific to music) produced in the late 20th century. I can't put it simpler; there's no way to avoid cliché when reviewing something this good.
It's almost as if Joni Mitchell took her soul, split into ten parts and put it on record. And she managed such a rare thing. She wrote ten songs which are not only incredibly accessible and so beautiful to hear (a long-winded way of saying they are insanely CATCHY) but which are also so deceptively complex, both melodically and lyrically. I can't imagine removing one of them, or adding to it in any way; the album exists as a perfect whole--this lady's soul wrapped up in ten tracks--and that is what makes it a masterpiece.
In pouring out her deepest emotions, she created a blueprint for the human soul and that's why it connects to so many people, three decades after its release. Buy it. I implore anyone who's looking for that level of depth you only find with a genius like this.
And I'll finish by saying this; every time I've looked at the reviews of this album here, it's been in the top 200 albums for sales rank. As I write this it's the 173rd best-selling album, and a few weeks ago it was the 62nd. Is that not incredible, nearly thirty five years after its release? Is that not encouragement enough? Is that not really saying something?

Blue
Blue by Joni Mitchell (Audio CD - 1988)