Published on 22 Mar 2007 by Moz

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful cack
early Alice from the very dawn a time and that is where it should stay, if your a mad keen Alice fan and you want the complete collection then on you go, any thing else just leave it be.
Published on 22 April 2012 by John

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars "Alice Cooper - who's she?" I asked "I've never heard of her", 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
It was 1972 - I think - those days are all a bit hazy. Anyway, my mate asked if I wanted to get tickets for Alice Cooper and I replied as above. All of the schlock horror hadn't been visited on the UK yet so I was in complete ignorance. "It's not a woman you pillock - it's a band." he explaiined. This, the first ever British gig, would be in Birmingham. I wasn't too enthusiastic and asked what they were about. He explained that they had the longest hair of any rock band ever. That was good enough for me so we went. We went but the gig was postponed for four days 'cause they were delayed in immigration as undesirables. My new girlfriend said that they took a live snake on stage! The anticipation grew notorious.

It was a truly mind blowing gig as they pulled out all of the stops to make up for the postponement. They opened with "Sunarise" - I'd only ever heard Rolf's version and was a bit underwhelmed! Then it all went off like a Molotov cocktail in the convent chicken coup. Rock theatre before we had Ziggy. Electric chairs, straight jackets, a life size dummy filled with feathers that billowed into the auditorium as it's belly was slashed open with a hunting knife. They were here to promote their new "Killer" album but it was 'Dwight Fry', 'Eighteen', 'Second Coming', 'Caught in a Dream' and 'Black Ju-ju' that I wanted.

This is Alice immediately before it all happened for him in the UK. Great music before the show became bigger than the sound. Before 'School's Out', 'Elected' or 'Hello Hooray'. A truly seminal album to recollect a gig that will live in my distorted memory forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE quintessential Alice album? ...... maybe!, 28 Mar 2003
Jonathan Thomas "Jon Rockstar!" (Bethel North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
9 songs,thats all.9 songs,and believe you me,this is one baby where you DONT feel short-changed.Alice's live set still contains the loads off this album,can you just for one second imagine a MR Cooper gig without the inclusion of the coming-of-age teenage angst and confusion that is 'I'm eighteen'? or the haunting,paranoid,schitzophrenic apocalypse of 'Ballad Of Dwight Fry'?(best ever Alice Cooper song?) what if he didnt play 'Is It My Body?' well here they are,along with 6 others,including 'Caught In A Dream'(this song somehow reeks of summer and good times!)and the bizzare 'Black Ju Ju'.The way 'Second Coming,'Ballad...'and 'Sun Arise'(a Rolf Harris cover...i kid you not!!!)all fade in and out of each other is my impression of musical nirvana,its just heaven!Alice fans,just take a listen.The whale-like swooping guitars,the mood,the experimental and weird noises,all combined with lyrics that could shame William Wordsworth caught swimming in a sewer of his own discontent...oh what a joy!Let it break down your musical barriers,listen to somthing different.They do say variety is the spice of life m'lady!!!! This in my opinion is the first PROPPER Alice record,true,there were some attempts prior to this album,but they were very sorry affairs,and hugely unlistenable. Its here where you get THAT Alice sound(its only here that they discovered it!)it's raw,but these musicians must have graduated from the rock n' roll high school with distinction.They're young,talented,desperate and due to the content at times,er...pretty sick individuals,all in equal parts. To be honest it was pretty bleak before this! There are no weak links here.Every song screams genius and originality,and no one (even after 32 years!)has come close,to equalling it.There are other classic Alice albums,but you see they're genius in their own right,and altogether different encounters.Only with 'Welcome To My Nightmare' and 'Love It To Death' could i be entertained in a 'what is Alice Cooper's greatest album?' argument,and i'll tell ya....there's not much in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I Love about Alice Cooper in one Album, 12 Mar 2004
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
Of all Alice Cooper's albums, I'd say that this one has to be the finest. The simple reason is that in more or less explains every side of him. He's had hard rock albums, creepy albums, funny albums, evil-sounding albums, but Love it to Death has it all. Caught in a Dream is catchy and has that razor sharp wit that only Alice can deliver, as does Hallowed be my Name and I'm Eighteen. Is it my Body and Seven Coming are so underrated but fantatsic pieces of music. The Ballard of Dwight Fry is one of his most famous (as is the legend that he recorded the song while under a pile of chairs). Perhaps the finest track is Black Juju. It is very long and not the kind of thing you listen to on the bus, but in the right setting its power will have you quivering. When you're depressed or angry, put this on on full volume and close your eyes, it's like slipping into a trance.
He's had many albums, but this one is his best!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Coop's finest., 23 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
'Love It To Death' is a milestone in American rock. Most of Alice Cooper's early classics are here, 'I'm Eighteen', 'Black JuJu' and especially 'The Ballad Of Dwight Fry' which will give you nightmares if listened to too late at night. One of the finest slices of Alice available along with 'From The Inside'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love THEM To Death, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
After months of being knocked into shape by producer Bob Ezrin, the Alice Cooper group finally found their trademark sound and image with this, their third album. There was the breakthrough hit 'Eighteen', the slinky 'Is It My Body' and the daft as a brush finale of Rolf Harris's 'Sun Arise'.

Religion and resurrection were central themes in the piano-led 'Second Coming', but it was the two grand set pieces that made people sit up and take notice. 'Ballad Of Dwight Fry' was a tale of straight jackets and madness with Alice reputedly recording his vocals trapped under a pile of chairs just to give his 'I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE' screams that authentic touch! 'Black Juju', an organ-driven tale of voodoo shenanigans, is even better - try listening to it in the dark when all the instruments suddenly stop and just Alice intones 'bodies need some rest', getting louder and quicker until he screams 'WAKE UP! WAKE UP! and the band then blast back in. Spooky!!

The band really gel throughout and Alice's vocals are superb whilst Bob Ezrin's production skills add that magic secret ingredient. It's also the first in a long line of brilliant album covers. An absolute classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic 3rd album, 1 April 2011
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
If like me your a new fan of Alice and their music and don't know where to begin i suggest you start with this album. Originally released way back in 1971 this is technically the groups third album but due to the experimental nature of the first two Love it to death is where it all starts to fall into place wonderfully.
Reportdely written over a seventh month period much of the credit is now given to the work of Bob Ezrin who reconstructed the bands sound and made them more accessible to radio. The emphasis on the group getting play ment that a whole new audiance not only live were now able to hear the band. The single from this album was I'm Eighteen which was a teen anthem. Several other tracks make the grade in terms of accessiblity. Tracks like Caught in a dream, Second Coming, and the Rolf Harris cover Sun Arise all have a rock and roll sound which still stand the test of time.
Listeners were drawn to the simple yet thought provking lyrics such I'm Eighteen and the group struck a chord with their public. Kids began to love the band and what they did live and in the studio. Experimental material is included which listerners should be ready for Black Juju anyone ! which I still don't understand .
The original album sleeve was withdrawn as it reputedly included a photo of the lead singer with his thumb stick out the front of his trousers. Many people misinterpreted the photo and it was changed to a more conservative one but this was only the beginning or a band who would go onto greater sucess and controversey both with their music, shows and album covers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Friday 30 June 1972, 20 Feb 2014
S. Green - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
I had actually gone to see Roxy Music at Wembley and frankly had never heard of Alice Cooper before the gig, A mixture of "Love it to Death" and "Killer" I walked out of the Arena as if my senses had just been mugged. I bought both albums on cassette at the gig and played them until they finally died in the dark recesses of my cassette player. Franky I had played them so much the initial respect I had for them had faded, they had literally been "loved to death".

After watching the BBC replay of the Hammersmith Apollo "Brutal Planet" gig I ordered the "Brutally Live" DVD and rediscovered the band. That led to a rush to catch up for lost time and every day saw another Amazon package hit the hall carpet. Personally I find it difficult to separate "Killer" and "Love it to Death" into any order of preference. "Dead Babies" and "Desperado" are my personal favorites on the former, the haunting "Ballad of Dwight Fry" and "I'm Eighteen" are my picks on the latter, but frankly there are no weak tracks on either.

I now have most of the bands albums and their evolution and range of musical styles is astounding. Love it to Death was, in my opinion, the first album that lit the way for the "shock rock" style that would become their hallmark.

As a footnote I would like to add that "Brutal Planet" marked a return to the Alice of their heyday and is also, in my opinion, a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars In an era of largely forgettable music....a truely wonderful album, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Alice Cooper and in particular the original Alice Cooper band line-up since I was 12 years of age (.....and thats not today or yesterday. This album is one of my all time favourites. As another reviewer Moz pointed this era for Alice was all about the music before the stage show and persona became the driving factor. I think the band have never been truely given the respect they deserve as musicians. This album has so many wonderful tracks it's hard not to talk about all of them, Caught in a Dream, Eighteen, Second Coming and the song that has featured in every playlist I've ever made, the stunning Ballad of Dwight Fry with its discordant guitar solo perfectly highlighting the songs subject matter of insanity. In an era where music is becoming increasingly forgettable, albums like this stand out and should feature in every rock fans collection.

Love It To Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, Japanese SHM-CD, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Love It to Death (Audio CD)
Like the other SHM CDs Alice Cooper, fantastic to listen to this quality. Alice Cooper at his best. Addition to your collection enjoy the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome "Blast from the past", 13 April 2013
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
I owned this album on vinyl many years ago & it is so good to hear it again. The lyrics are more perceptive & witty than I recall, the music is classic Alice Cooper, when the band was truly at it's best. The Ballad of Dwight Fry never gets old. Great stuff. I would recommend this to anyone who likes good rock music.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love It to Death [CASSETTE]
Love It to Death [CASSETTE] by Alice Cooper (Audio Cassette - 1990)
Click for more info