4.0 out of 5 stars "Alice Cooper - who's she?" I asked "I've never heard of her"
It was 1972 - I think - those days are all a bit hazy. Anyway, my mate asked if I wanted to get tickets for Alice Cooper and I replied as above. All of the schlock horror hadn't been visited on the UK yet so I was in complete ignorance. "It's not a woman you pillock - it's a band." he explaiined. This, the first ever British gig, would be in Birmingham. I wasn't too...
Published on 22 Mar 2007 by Moz

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful cack
early Alice from the very dawn a time and that is where it should stay, if your a mad keen Alice fan and you want the complete collection then on you go, any thing else just leave it be.
Published on 22 April 2012 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars In an era of largely forgettable music....a truely wonderful album, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Alice Cooper and in particular the original Alice Cooper band line-up since I was 12 years of age (.....and thats not today or yesterday. This album is one of my all time favourites. As another reviewer Moz pointed this era for Alice was all about the music before the stage show and persona became the driving factor. I think the band have never been truely given the respect they deserve as musicians. This album has so many wonderful tracks it's hard not to talk about all of them, Caught in a Dream, Eighteen, Second Coming and the song that has featured in every playlist I've ever made, the stunning Ballad of Dwight Fry with its discordant guitar solo perfectly highlighting the songs subject matter of insanity. In an era where music is becoming increasingly forgettable, albums like this stand out and should feature in every rock fans collection.

Love It To Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, Japanese SHM-CD, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Love It to Death (Audio CD)
Like the other SHM CDs Alice Cooper, fantastic to listen to this quality. Alice Cooper at his best. Addition to your collection enjoy the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome "Blast from the past", 13 April 2013
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
I owned this album on vinyl many years ago & it is so good to hear it again. The lyrics are more perceptive & witty than I recall, the music is classic Alice Cooper, when the band was truly at it's best. The Ballad of Dwight Fry never gets old. Great stuff. I would recommend this to anyone who likes good rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I guess I love it - I Love It To Death, 20 Aug 2000
M. Wilson (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
This was the creative zenith of the Alice Cooper Group where you had the impression tha this was 5 distinct creative forces at work.
`I need a butler and a trip to Spain' - Caught in a Dream is superb thirty years on. It catches an exuberance of being eighteen with the whole world in front of you like no other song that has ever been written. It is followed by the angst-ridden `18' 1= which provides you with the insecure other side of the coin.
`Long Way to Go' - `Where is the saviour of the sidewalk life and the road that takes us to the crusades. - Powerful driving rock music.
`Black Juju' `Bodies need their rest' - atmospheric and menacing.
`Is it My Body' - `Someone I might be or someone inside me?.'
`Second Coming' `Time is getting closer - read it on a poster' - Not the first or last Alice Jesus trip.
`Dwight Fry' - Predates From The Inside by many years - the difference is that this track is genuinely harrowing.
This album was an landmark in my teenage development. Seeing Buxton & Bruce with their SGs' was utter coolness beyond belief! 1

5.0 out of 5 stars love it to bits, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
had this album on vinyl 23 years ago listened to it all the time, bought it on cd as no longer have a record player and its just alice coopers best album as far as im concerned brill

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magnificent Band!!, 20 Nov 2013
Lyndon A. Brown (England) - See all my reviews
One of the greatest first albums from a band ever !! Alice Cooper burst onto the scene with this classic in the early 70's and then went on to take the world by storm !!

4.0 out of 5 stars golden oldie, 5 Aug 2013
N. M. Davey (North Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
Having heard Ballad of Dwight Frye featured in Dark Shadows I thought I'd re-discover this album. I'm so glad I did. Definitely one of his best, even with the Rolf Harris cover at the end! Give it a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it to death., 1 July 2013
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
Bit of a crass title for this review I know, but it will have to do. Were it not for 'Sun Arise' this would have had 5 stars and to this day I still wonder why it was included. Should have been left in the Rolf Harris archive? I seem to be going backwards as I started off with Billion Dollar Babies and then Killer but I'm glad I did. I bet I'm not alone either. This album sets the stage for the often disturbing lyrics which became part of the Alice Cooper legend and contains several songs which rightly went on to become Alice Cooper classics - I'm Eighteen, Is It My Body and Caught in a dream to name but three. The opus that is Black JuJu is also worth a mention as it simmers along and builds into a nice crescendo. No point in analysing this CD too much more as many others have already done so. Just buy it and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not A Classic, But Still Essential, 5 Mar 2013
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
This 1971 album was Alice Cooper's so-called 'breakthrough' release, the first on which this superb band's trademark sound really began to be established, and whilst Love It To Death does not (for me, at least) quite rank with its follow-ups Killer (Cooper's out-and-out masterpiece) and School's Out (theatrical rock at its most sophisticated) it is nevertheless a fine album. The transformation in the band's fortunes, and indeed sound, has often been attributed to producer Bob Ezrin, who undertook production duties here for the first time on a Cooper record and under whose guidance the band discarded their earlier post-psychedelic influences in favour of a more conventional (albeit nascent theatrical) rock sound.

Love It To Death also marked the start of the trend of individual band members penning their own compositions (for me, another demonstration of their individual, and hence collective, talents). On the plus side here, Michael Bruce's album opener Caught In A Dream, with its tale of aspiring rock stardom, and Long Way To Go (something of a reality check?) are solid, whilst Neal Smith's bible shocker Hallowed Be Thy Name is vibrant enough (though not a patch, of course, on his masterpiece, School's Out's Alma Mater). Unfortunately, bassist Dennis Dunaway rather overstretched himself composition-wise on the 9-minute Black Juju, which, whilst providing an interesting portent of the band's longer more theatrical songs (such as the classic Halo Of Flies on Killer), does not have the level of invention or quality to sustain its length. On the other hand, Cooper's own similarly bible-themed Second Coming is a highlight (with its brilliant instrumental interlude) and provides a superb piano-tickling segue into one of the album's classics, The Ballad Of Dwight Fry, a dedication to the famous horror film actor and the album's best example of Cooper at his most theatrical, as he fights for his sanity with his repeated 'I gotta get outta here' plea.

Other than the odd (but strangely effective) cover of Rolf Harris' Sun Arise, the album's other two songs are both whole band compositions and are both masterpieces. Is It My Body? is just about as close to a conventional love song you'll get from Cooper, whilst I'm Eighteen is simply one of the most seminal tales of youth rebellion ever consigned to paper ('I got a baby's brain and an old man's heart, took eighteen years to get this far')and one of the greatest songs to boot. I'm sure Johnny Rotten's Sex Pistols audition rendition of the song was impressive, but I'm equally sure it was not a patch on Cooper's (5 min 32 sec) live version of the song currently on Youtube - essential viewing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes I do!, 24 Sep 2010
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love It To Death (Audio CD)
A million miles away in almost every aspect, musically, AC's 3rd album was where it all began to come together. Love It To Death not only marks the birth of the Alice we all know today but his/their first classic album. This has 3 tracks still played live today, as well as covered by other bands and still all sound as fresh and current, especially in today's retro-garage rock revival of sorts. Pretties For You was a great little album; completely bonkers and just as wild with a little taste of the classic 'Elected' in the almost as good 'Reflected'. Easy Action was a very hit and miss affair with no real classics but a handful of good tunes and some utter dross. Love It To Death was fashioned for a very specific purpose - to sell good songs. After this, the band became, rightly, huge.

'Caught in a Dream' is a sublime opener, a very old school Alice strummer. It's a great, uplifting song with a fantastic opening riff. One for summer and evidence of just how different this album is from the previous 2, however it does bare some resemblance to the excellent 'Shoe Salesman' from Easy Action. Then we have a track that needs no critique. 'I'm Eighteen' is 'I'm Eighteen'. 'Long Way to Go' is a great little driving on the open road kind of a track. Very tuneful. 'Black Juju', despite its awesome name, is probably the only track that isn't as good. This is only because of its length. On the previous albums there were a lot of jazzy, experimental, noodly, jammy tracks that had a bit of tune, then a wall of noise, then finished with the second half of the tune. This is one of those and is let down by the 4 minutes of unecessary twanging in the middle and fade-in beginning. At 5 mins this would have been a pretty cool track as the riff is very groovy and the "Bodies!" chorus is rather catchy. But at 9 mins, it lost my attention in the middle. 'Is It My Body': same as 'I'm Eighteen'.

'Hallow-ed Be Thy Name' is a secret new classic of mine. I love it. It's perfect AC and is so catchy there should be an inoculation for it. 'Second Coming' is a grower but scores very highly, especially as it segues perfectly into 'Ballad of Dwight Fry' which is one of the best AC tracks ever - possibly even one of the best songs anywhere/when ever? Who knows - it's good. The cover of Rolf Harris' 'Sun Arise' is a bit silly (like the song) but still works, only not as well as everything else on the album.

As a whole, it is consistently good musically and creatively and feels like an album where their previous efforts failed to gel.

A stone cold classic.

Love It To Death
Love It To Death by Alice Cooper (Audio CD - 2006)