5.0 out of 5 stars Just love this album, despite it's age, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (MP3 Download)
Didn't have this on vinyl, but only on cassette. When copying via a usb tape player, the quality was not as good as I thought.
Some great tunes though (particularly " That Was Yesterday" and "I want To Know What Love Is".
Maybe a bit dated now, but the music on this album holds some happy memories.
The digital version sounds so much better tan the original

4.0 out of 5 stars At their commercial peak but not exactly my kind of music, 30 May 2009
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
I took a chance on this album based on the international hit single contained therein, I want to know what love is, which became a number one hit in Britain and elsewhere. I love the ballads but I'm so not keen on the rocking songs, because Lou Gramm seems to be shouting rather than singing.

The set opens with one of the rocking songs (Tooth and nail) then continues with two superb love ballads (That was yesterday, I want to know what love is) that were both released as singles. Next comes another excellent ballad (Growing up the hard way), though as the title suggests, it is not a love song but describes life's struggles. Two rocking songs (Reaction to action, Stranger in my house) precede more great ballads (Love in vain, Down on love, Two different worlds). The album closes with another rocking song (She's too tough), but this one works much better for my ears than the other rockers here.

Foreigner liked to consider themselves as a hard-rock group, but while they could certainly rock with the best, I quickly realized why their biggest hits were all ballads. Lou Gramm is a fine ballad singer but he struggles with the up-tempo songs. Fans of hard-rock music tend to be more interested in the music rather than the singing, and some of them despise ballads.

On reflection, I wonder how many people will truly love every track here, but although I'm not one of them, I enjoyed enough of the album to make me glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good album of softrock with a few rock fillers., 28 April 2007
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
Bought this in 84-85 and still re-visit this album from time to time enjoying it every spin. The ballads are very moving and emotionally charged and fill the album with a few rockers interspersed among these. A Heartfelt soft Rock Album without being too cheesey. A class act band with songs that feel as though their written from heart.

Foreigner do best the soft melodic rock yet the hard rockers never quite made the mark in my book so this album is cut from a very rich seam.

Enjoy- But don't buy if your lonely or heartbroken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agent Provocateur, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
I knew about this album from years ago,i love it then,and i love it now

4.0 out of 5 stars AOR at its near best, 29 Nov. 2007
J. M. Salinas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
Agent Provocateur is a very decent follow up to the superb 4.

The record is certainly better more (over?)produced than 4, bringing in a more radio friendly sound that its predecessor.

This works to great effect on the ballads, particularly on the massively popular I Want to Know What Love Is.

But let's not forget that Foreigner were a rock band in their core, and Agent Provocateur rocks, particularly with the riff of the opener track Tooth and Nail and the other rockers Growing Up the Hard Way and Stranger in My Own House.

Down on Love is another fantastic ballad, less commercial than the mega selling I Want to Know..., but more evocative and introspective.

Somehow, Agent Provocateur succeeds on two fronts, one, uplifting your mood witht the rockers, but also in taking you into your reflective inner self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agent Blues, 28 Dec. 2014
Alan Robert Lancaster (Forest Gate, London E7, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
I had this on audio cassette, taken with my Land Rover back in 2012. The sound quality on the cd is a lot better, lets you appreciate the bluesy quality of the album. I was reminded of the album by a TV commercial - "I Want To Know What Love Is", performed by the singing toys for the Freeview channels. Some real gutsy playing on the rock numbers, fine vocals overall

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome surprise, 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
First time round when this album came out in the seventies I wasn't so keen on it but hearing it again after a good few years and a remaster it, for me, is a real lost gem. Tight sound and production......yes please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present., 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
Mum had the record of this band which was badly warped and did not play well on the record player. This was a much loved present, she did not expect to be able to find it available on cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars cd, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
Absolutely love this CD. Had the album years ago but lost it somewhere, stumbled cd across it on Amazon and have had trip down memory lane!

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Agent Provocateur (Audio CD)
As usual Foreigner do not disappoint this is a good rocky album, also featuring their classic track I want to know what love is.

Agent Provocateur
Agent Provocateur by Foreigner (Audio CD - 1995)