5.0 out of 5 stars Unjustly Slated: Up There With The First Two
Published on 31 Oct 2009 by Tommo 18/7 ©

3.0 out of 5 stars three stars and three classics
Led Zeppelin III contains three of the greatest tracks ever recorded by anybody: Immigrant Song, Since I've Been Loving You & That's The Way; it also contains a couple of passable tracks: Gallow's Pole & Tangerine; but it is certainly no classic. Ironically, it isn't a decision to be 'heavy' or folk-oriented, or to try and face in both directions, that lets it down - it's...
Published on 21 Jan 2012 by Martin J. White

5.0 out of 5 stars Unjustly Slated: Up There With The First Two, 31 Oct 2009
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
Led Zeppelin III...For many years, this has been regarded as a weaker album in Zeppelin's output from '69 - '75, however, that tag seems to have rightly dropped now. Sure, this has a more accoustic/folk feel to it ( espicially on the old side two), but the accoustic numbers are powerful in their own right and when the electric stuff rocks, it's up there with the first two albums.

" The Immigrant Song" is a classic piece of no-nonsense heavy metal, " Freinds" is an equally heavy piece of accoustic genius. " Celebration Day" is a feelgood, riff laden work of art, " Since I've Been Loving You" is one of the greatest songs ever made, the blues guitar of Page bouncing off the melencholy vocals of Plant is genius in full flow, " Out On The Tiles" is sassy,classy and packs a punch.
" Gallows Pole" is dark, melodic and excellent, " Tangerine" is beautiful, yet bitter-sweet, " That's The Way" , " Bron - Y - Aur Stomp" & " Hats Off To ( Roy) Harper" , shows the units accoustic genius and proficency.

Granted, you could be forgiven for having to work a little harder to appriciate this after the first two heavier releases, but your paitence will be very rewarded, as this is yet another masterpiece by one of the greatest bands that ever walked the earth.

Excellent: AAAA++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Blues Rock Classic? Yes and No, 15 Nov 2007
Crazy Bald Heid "kennyb63" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
After the first two albums the record buying punter probably thought he knew exactly what he was going to get - another dose of beefed up virtuoso blues rock. Well there sure is some of that but there is also.............

The Immigrant Song - what an opener - there is not another song like his in the world. Terrifying wailing Plant vocal driven by Pages big choppy riff and the rhythm section from hell. Were the Vikings scarier than this? Yikes.

Friends is an opportunity to catch breath, an pleasant change down.

Celebration Day is a rocker with a twiddly riff driven along by JPJ and Bonzo.

Since I've Been Loving You is an exquisite slow blues, this is every band member at the absolute top of his game. Possibly my favourite LZ track, amongst some tough competition. Jimmy knock off a guitar break that must make Eric Clapton weep, it is beyond perfect.

Out On the Tiles is a straight up rocker living in the shadow of some of the bands finest moments.

And that's it for the rock bits. The balance of the album takes on a folky tinge inspired by the bucolic surroundings of their Welsh country cottage.

It's all a pleasant change of pace and a pointer to the future direction of the band. The beautiful, melodic Tangarine is most peoples stand out track on the second side, but its all good. The remastered cd here benefits all tracks but the clarity is most apparent on the acoustic tracks such as the Bron Y Aur Stomp (named after the aforementioned cottage).

To many people this album must have been a shock departure from the tried ant tested formula of the first two albums, and perhaps explains why this deceptive classic does not get mentioned in the same revered tones as the first two albums, the nameless next album and the sprawling Physical Graffiti. However its a great surprise and if you want to get a woman into Zep - Tangerine is a proven winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars So I'm not the only one..., 20 Sep 2002
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
...who thinks this is Zep's best? Thank goodness, I've always thought there was something wrong with me - whenever people have the old "is Led Zep IV or Physical Graffiti their best album" discussion, I've mumbled "what about Led Zep III" under my breath.
I bought this album in the week of it's original release, back in the early 70s, and loved it from the opening bludgeoning banshee wail of Immigrant Song onwards on first listen. What happy memories...
This was the album when Zep really unveiled what they were all about. The previous two albums had been wonderful enough, but the songs were drawn from a fairly narrow range. On this album, we had the hard rockers (Immigrant Song) and blues homage (Since I've Been Loving You) which we'd grown to expect, but the band also unveiled their more whymsical side - Gallows Pole, That's The Way, Bron Y Aur stomp, proving that they knew a thing or two about tunes as well.
Stand-out tracks - Immigrant Song (a candidate for the best opening 10 seconds of an album) and Since I've Been Loving You, on which Jimmy Page's guitar playing reached it's absolute zenith.
If you want to know what bands like The Music and Hundred Reasons have been listening to, go out and buy this. Go on go on go on go on...

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their top 3 albums, 10 Sep 2007
Christopher Bailey "Chris Bailey" (Wirral, England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
When I discovered Led Zeppelin III it was one of the great moments of musical discovery in my life, this may sound dramatic, but, every time I hear this album It takes me back to that, I had already heard I,II & IV, then a friend taped his LP for me, it sounded as if it fitted in perfecly between II & IV, I think IV is their best, but this has a unique atmosphere to it, Since I`ve Been Loving You is my favourite Led Zep track out of all their stuff, the acoustic stuff has a very "Summers Day" feel to it, especially Tangerine & Bron Y Aur Stomp, Gallows Pole is a sort of hybrid of acoustic & rock stuff. a brilliant track, Immigrant Song is the thunderous opener, I could go on, absolutely essential

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it! Listen to it! Love it! Listen to it again! Love it even more!, 18 Dec 2007
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
For my money this is the best of Led Zeppelin's albums.I loved it when it came out and bought it on CD wondering if it would posses the same magic for me. As soon as it started playing I was hooked right back to when I was in my teens.This is an excellent album especially good for playing loud in the car!! I defy anyone to not like Tangerine, Immigration Song or Since I've Been Loving You. This album has it all: hard rock, blues and folk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated defined, 23 Aug 2004
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
Following on from the heavy blues offerings from the first two quality Zeppelin albums, this was probably easy to slate at the time and I believe it was. I'm so glad that this has now got the recognition it so rightly deserves. It's packed with classics; Immigrant Song, Since I've Been Loving You, Gallows Pole, Tangerine, That's the Way, Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp et al. Much more folky than blues, it's atrue masterpiece and currently my fave Led Zep long player.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best of the best..., 2 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
I only got into Led Zeppelin pretty recently, on the strength of Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Immigrant Song and Stairway to Heaven.Of all six "great" Led Zep albums I can say without the slightest hesitation that Led Zeppelin III is the best; II comes close, but this is the best, with a perfect blend of hard(ish)rock (Immigrant Song), folky(ish) rock (Friends, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp)and pure blues (Since I've Been Loving You). It's hard to describe LZ unless you've already heard them, but suffice to say that if you like any other LZ material this is the best slice of LZ that money can buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuck In The Middle, 10 July 2006
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
Led Zeppelin III is unfortunately stuck in between classics II and IV and is often overlooked by fans because of this.

This in my opinion is actually my favourite Zeppelin album. There's not a single track on it that I dislike, and I can honestly say that it's one of the most well played albums I own.

This once again consists of the usual punchy guitar riffs, vastly underrated bass, steady rhythm and astonishing vocals that Led Zeppelin became famous for. Of course, this album is the home of the band's classic Immigrant Song, and what could be a better album opener than this track?! It doesn't happen. This song has to be one of the greatest album openers of all time. It's most definitely up there in my top 5! The other tracks are just pure beauty and talented craftsmanship. And that's what Led Zeppelin is; a finely tuned art.

The tracks that should definitely be checked out and played at their loudest are Immigrant Song, Since I've Been Loving You (seriously underrated!!!!), and Out On The Tiles. But what is fantastic about III is the great contrasts between these heaviers and more bluesy songs, to the quieter and folky tracks like Tangerine for example. This song shouldn't be overlooked because of how quiet it is; it's incredibly beautiful and is soft Zeppelin at it's best.

As I've already said, John Paul-Jones' bass on this album is mind blowing. He's an incredibly underrated bassist, and I'd just like to salute him for his work on this album. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hats Off to Zeppelin, 22 Jan 2005
R. S. Hand (Colwyn Bay) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Led Zeppelin album, and that is really saying something! That opening track is classic, and 'Friends' is really special. Everybody has heard Immigrant Song, and many will have heard Since I've Been Loving You- if you liked them, you will love this. It's the softest of their studio albums, mainly because it was written in a derelict cottage not a million miles from where I'm typing this. I actually went to Bron-yr-Aur in September, and it rained. A lot. But it was really inspirational too.
Bron yr Aur is my favourite song on this album, it has a really lively feel. Basically, this album is brilliant, really underrated, but it's good to keep it that way or it will go the same way as Led 4. Everybody who calls themselves a zeppelin fan cannot fail to buy this album, there are some real gems here, like the psychedelia of Hats off to Roy Harper, the beautiful Tangerine, and the out and out rock and roll of Gallows Pole, Out on the Tiles, and Celebration Day.
Basically, im telling you to buy this album- you can't go wrong for under a tenner!

5.0 out of 5 stars led zep - greatest album?, 27 Mar 2004
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
well no, it isn't their best album in my view, it's slightly edged out by led zeppelin 4.I'm actually very suprised as this album doesn't seem to be as loved as led zep 4 or physical graffiti.It's quite far down on the list when it comes to peoples favourites,but it really is brilliant.It took longer to love this album though as opposed to led zep 4 but the classics are there.Since i've been loving you and immigrant song are the insant standouts and 2 of my fave. led zep tracks, but we also have tangerine and out on the tiles, which are also superb.It's a must buy - no doubt about it and seems very underrated.

Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin (Audio CD - 1997)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available