Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
First released in 1972, this is the 5th studio album from Prog Rock mainstays Yes.

I like to think that I enjoy a broad range of music. Indeed I love rock, jazz and classical (among other things) so prog rock, essentially a fusion of those three should pretty much hit the spot for me. And indeed I love people like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and Coliseum. But a lot of prog leaves me cold, and I am afraid that this is one album that really does not do it for me.

I can see the merits of it for those who like this kind of thing. However, to my ear it comes across as self-indulgent, meandering and noodling. It goes nowhere and takes a long time and a lot of repetition to get there. It certainly does not repay a second listening. It's hard work and the end result is not particularly enjoyable. Listening to music should, for me, be a pleasure. I don't want to have to work at it. I leave that to the kind of masochists who can sit through an entire Harrison Birtwhistle piece. This, however, is hard work. It just goes on forever without ever really getting to the point. It fuses classical, jazz and blues influences into something that was definitely new, but just noodles around with it producing an album that I found monotonous.

Dull. 1 star. It's certainly not the essential masterpiece that its champions claim.
on 9 October 2008
Be warned - The yes hdcd japanese replicas are gorgeous and sound incredible, but both close to the edge and fragile have sound droputs. Yes, unbelievable, but i bought them and could not believe it.
All their other replicas do not have this problem.
on 14 November 2014
This DVD-A did not play properly on my Pioneer player. Some of the content was okay while other parts were not accessible. Exchanged it and still had the same problems. Lent it to a friend and he also had issues on his set-up (different player).
The actual music/album itself is first rate, but one star for the problematic presentation.
on 29 May 2014
Ok .exellent , Close the edge an amazing record, amazing SHM sound, but please you must do a very clear information when it is a normal plastic box, or a mini réplica LP paper sleeve.
Thanks.