5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless, timeless, breathtaking.
This album has been with me virtually all my life as my father bought it when it was released.When the cd version came out I secured my own copy and it was wonderful to hear the crispness of the tracks-"Country Girl", "Everybody I love you","Carry on" being particular stand outs.
If you love to hear sweet harmony then this is the album...
Published on 14 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Memories
Nostalgia ain't wot it used to be. This was one of the first albums I enjoyed outside my usual genre of heavy rock and I remembered I liked it so much that I recently replaced it with a cd version. Whilst some of the tracks still strike a chord, the others haven't stood the test of time quite so well.
Published 8 months ago by WM

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless, timeless, breathtaking., 14 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
If you love to hear sweet harmony then this is the album for you-still ageless, timeless and breathtaking.

4.0 out of 5 stars a gentle ,stylistically varied progression., 4 Aug 2000
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
This is perhaps the turning time for the true hippie movement. Hippie is strongly associated with 60's culture, but it was a movement burning strongly at the dawn of the 70's. This album brilliantly encompasses some of the harmonic,almost easy listening styles of the period, together with a rocky/bluesy feel that was less pronounced than on CS&N LP-obviously due to the introduction of Neil Young.Our house and teach your children are songs that children could easily pick up and enjoy nowdays at playgroup sessions, while Young's Country Girl is a deep rock song that at the time brought this album gently to the 70's via 60's riffs. One of the last great hippie records, one of the first great 70's lp's

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Masterpiece Within Two Years!, 13 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
Perhaps one of the greatest follow ups of all time, 'Deja Vu' showcases all of the superstar quartet and their immeasurable talent. For all the praise heaped on Neil Young, it was Stephen Stills who was the guiding force in this period, and establishes himself nicely with the powerful '4+20' and storming opener 'Carry On.'
Yet the other members contribute their own works of art: Crosby's 'Almost Cut My Hair' still haunts (written after Bobby Kennedy's asassination) as does the time changing 'Deja Vu'; Nash's efforts are written off as twee, but 'Teach Your Children' showed he could still produce the hits, and 'Our House' is a beautiful song describing life with Joni Mitchell; while Young offers the powerful 'Country Girl Medley' and the emotional 'Helpless.' All this, plus the classic version of Mitchell's 'Woodstock' & the almighty ending of 'Everybody I Love You' showed that CSNY were the band to beat in 1970. A masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deja Vu -an utter classic, 13 Jan 2010
Andrew Ogilvie "AndyO" (Glasgow,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu (MP3 Download)
How can no-one have reviewed this...updating my scratchy old vinyl this evening and frankly astonished to see that this album has no review. I can only assume it is because everyone on earth has quite naturally bought a copy.
An absolutely seminal album of the time including the magical ensemble pieces of "Carry On" and "Deja Vu" and the typical Crosby and Young solo efforts of "Almost Cut My Hair" and "Country Girl" or "Helpless" respectively. Perhaps slightly rockier than the eponymous first album but none the worse for that.

If you like this Laurel Canyon/Woodstock genre at all and you, unaccountably, don't already have this album then you simply must buy it...Put your children on ebay to raise the cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic !, 11 Mar 2002
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
Ageless classic. I listen to it often; I almost cut my hair is particularly good - it reminds me of stories I have heard from the 'doves'(war protesters) during the Vietnam war, whose long hair was such a strong political statement.
It should sit along side easy rider, the movie, as a signpost of the times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 14 Aug 2002
Callie (To the North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
The second album I bought as a youngster,the first being "After the Goldrush"For some reason this album always reminds me of Summer!There isn't a bad track here,'though Nash's "Our house " isn't one of my favourites.Stills songs are wonderful.a blistering "Carry on" and the lovely acoustic "4-20 ".The most mysterious song is Crosby's "Deja vu" with lovely harmonies, building towards the end of the song.Nash's "Teach your Children" is a nice song with Jerry Garcia on pedal steel.Crosby's "Almost cut my hair " sounds dated now,because the hippies back then have no hair today,or a very wide centre parting ! "Woodstock" written by Joni Mitchell is a good version with Stills and Young playing some serious lead guitar!
And Big Neil's two songs are fantastic,I never get tired listening to "Helpless " and the epic "Country girl!
Yes a fine album,go on press that "One click"

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad song on it..., 5 Sep 2003
Mr. S. I. Johnson (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
Like one of the other reviewers, I too grew up listening to my fathers copy as a kid. The first songs to make an impression on me, were "Almost Cut My Hair" & "Carry On" (the latter reminding me of glorious days during the school summer holidays!). "4+20" is brilliant, as are "Deja vu", "Helpless"... in fact all of the songs are. Normally an album has at least one song that does not shine through, not this one. It shows great song writing and musical talents. Even the gatefold sleeve is uplifting with some lovely photos from that time. Well worth buying...go on give it a listen!
Thanks to David, Stephen, Graham & Neil for this great album and for helping me through the highs and lows of life with some wonderful songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The American 'Revolver', 4 Feb 2010
A. D. Hall (wales) - See all my reviews
This is the 'One'.
The 'one' that opened my eyes to music beyond the Beatles and the(excellent)British 60's Pop of The Small Faces, The Kinks and The Move, and introduced me to what was going on across the Big Pond. I'm not saying it's better than the British Bands that I was already familiar, just different....and opened up a whole new world of Sounds. It introduced the world of country blues (Stills' 4+20), the country flavour of Nash's 'Teach your Children' courtesy of Jerry Garcia's excellent pedal steel guitar playing. The jazzy inflections of Crosby's 'Deja vu' and Young's heart-rending 'Helpless'.
Its hard for me to be review this album objectively, as just a collection of tunes, without my appreciation of this album being influenced by all the new sounds it lead me to discover and love, and probably determine my musical tastes over the subsequent 40 years. Starting with Jefferson Airplane, The Band, Moby Grape, The Byrds, Love, of the late 60's through to Green on Red (80's), and Giant Sand/Howe Gelb of the present day.
Every song on this album is a cracker. Many criticise it as being 'disjointed' and that it was the product of 4 solo artists in disharmony (on a personal level)rather than the collective works a band. True, it covers a range of styles to each individual members taste, but all with that indisputable CSN&Y flavour and vocal harmonies yet to be bettered. Forty years on I think this album stands the test of time. Like the Beatles 'Revolver' it introduced a new style and set a new benchmark against which all others could be measured. Buy this and the 4 first CSN&Y solo albums, put the CD/IPOD on shuffle, sit back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect album, 6 Jun 2008
fatsovonchubby (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
I listen to an expansive range of musical styles and ages, from "The Classics" right through to Metal. Now I'm not calling myself an expert in the field by any means, but you can usually get a gut feeling pretty quickly about the effort, imagination and skill put into any work - and this album, from the first listen - give you audio pleasure at every turn. It just oozes skillfull musicianship and beautifully crafted harmonies. The type of work that will always be considered a classic and will always be replayed by the listener over and over again. As for the opinions about Young's involvement etc - it really doesn't matter - CSN were already fantastic - adding in Y was simply a case of adding an extra ingredient of a similar style - and for me - on this album - his presence is only just as good as everybody else - i.e. 'almost perfect'. Everybody should own this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've just gone back 40 years, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Deja Vu (Audio CD)
I have this album on LP.....whats that I hear people say! I haven't played it in years, maybe at least 25 years. Then the other day I hear a track and so I ordered it.
It was and still is a brilliant album and it's been playing all afternoon and suddenly I'm 18 again, long hair (just hair would be nice nowadays)and not a care in the world. Sheer bliss.
If you're my age, (work it out for yourself).....go buy it and remember those carefree days.

Deja Vu
Deja Vu by Crosby Stills Nash & Young (Audio CD - 1994)