Low

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, 11 Feb 2004
Mike (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
For a start I can't believe I've not heard of this album before. I've been a Testament fan since they started back in the 80's and only saw this recently. I've listened to all sorts of metal through the years but Testament are one of the few bands who have released consistently good albums (in my opinion) and this is certainly no exception. Low is certainly a transition album from the older style of thrash to the newer style; the ripping and soulful solos are there but Chuck introduces his new, more aggressive vocals. This album demonstrates every aspect of thrash which has continued to keep me interested through the years and is highly recommended. I buy at least 1 metal CD a week and this is in the top 3 I've bought in the last 12 months. Just go buy it an you'll see what I mean!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Under-rated Thrash Album, 28 July 2006
N. Middle "MetalNik" (Somerset, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
Testament are a fantastic Thrash Metal band! Sometimes referred to as "The Leaders of the B-team" as far as thrash goes but I consider this an unfair title.

Fast paced, awesome riffs, powerful vocals, pounding beats, shredding solos. What more could you want from a thrash album?

This album shows Testament prior to their transition into a Death Metal band. Chuck growls a lot more than screams on this record but there are no signs of death-grunts yet.

The mixture between screaming and growling is balanced and works brilliantly. I, personally, prefer Chuck's growling vocals but thats because I am a huge Death Metal/Grindcore fan. There is still a decent amount of wild screamng to keep the thrash fans happy though.

All-in-all an amazing album and a must have for any fans of Thrash Metal, or even perhaps some fans of Death Metal.

Get this CD into your collection now!

5.0 out of 5 stars WICKED, 17 April 2006
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
I had always heard of testament and knew they were up there with the big metal bands like slayer and metallica etc so i thought enough is enough lets get one of there albums so i got this one.

I was not disappointed. I love metal but i find it hard to find a metal band with a good vocalist but in this case Chuck Billy is one of the best i have heard.

This cd is pretty much in my cd player everyday at some point. The music is really good. Its not over the top, its perfect!!!

I now have 5 testament albums because of this album but none of them have topped this one. All the other ones are good but arent as good as this one.

If you wanna hear testament for the first mind i definatley recommend this one.

Its brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great start to Testament., 14 Jun 2008
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
This album is great thrash metal froma great thrash band. If you have heard the song low then buy this album it's what you'd except. Awesome riffs great vocals and lyrics and excellent solos (bass solo included). Best track is Hail Mary, Low, Urotskidoji (instrumental) & Ride. This my only testament album and i'm gonna get their new album soon when i ave the money. AWESOME THRASH METAL.

5.0 out of 5 stars This masterpeice seduced me to the dark side of music, 4 Sep 2001
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
I got into metal through this recording. I heard a TestAmenT song on a free CD from a magazine and decided to purchase an album. I was intrigued because I had never heard of music with growling and screaming. When I listened to it I was amazed that such beauty as "trail of tears" could be juxtaposed with such uglyness as "dog faced gods" on the same CD! This convinced me of the integrity and variety of metal and since then i have been a metalhead. looking back it still stands up to todays standards; The band show excellent mastery of the genre from hard hitting thrash (ride), meandering exhibitions of fretwork mastery (urotsukidoji) to heavy, crushing riffage(legions in hiding). Today at 17 I can listen in the same awe as I did back then at 12, Trail of tears is still one of my all time favourites. Highly reccomended. Thankyou TestAmenT for changing my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Testament- Low, 7 Dec 2000
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
After a long time in the wilderness, and only 'The Ritual' to go on, it was imperitive that a new Testment record be made. They came through triumphantly with Low.
The addition of James Murphy, and session drummer John Tempesta gives the album a good feel, and the songs showcase the fact that Chuck and Eric love death metal, and the song 'Dog Faced Gods' really shows the extent of the transformation.
Even with all the excellently done death/thrash songs, and the wonderfully funny 'Urutsukidoji', my favourite track is the ballad 'Trail Of Tears'.
A wonderful return to form after the commercial 'The Ritual'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece!!! Definitely go for it!!!, 21 Sep 2007
Mr. J. Maduda "Juraj Maduda" (Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
Hello all true metal brothers! If you decided to buy this album you have done a right decision 'cause you are just about to buy this masterpiece by Testament. This album is different from the prevoius ones. The music is darker and there is also aspect of brutality of guitar work and Chuck's growling vocals that make this album heavier than any of the previous ones. The band recruited James Murphy (ex-Death guitarist) to play lead guitars for the band which definitely paid off. Murphy's guitar solos kill and you can hear his influence on the band as he is the death metal guitarist. Songs and their musical concept proved how great and skilled Eric Peterson as a composer is. Also concept of the songs is very powerful as is criticises war and nonsense of war, criticism of politicians and their wrong decisions and impact of those on civilians. Really catchy lyrics and riffs. It is the album that will give you a lot. It is also available in guitar tablature edition checked personally by James Murphy. I have got this album since it's first release and i always play it without getting bored of it which means even you will find in their music more and more as you play it over and over again. Eric's precise guitar work, James's awesome guitar solos in every single song, Greg's bass solo in instrumental Urotsukidoji and Chuck's killing vocals!!! That's what you are gonna get! Essential album guys!!!

Low
Low by Testament (Audio CD - 2004)