‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding in ambition, and in beauty, 16 Oct 2002
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
The pop sound of Little Earthquakes, and the big-selling singles, cast Tori Amos as a slightly unbalanced, fragile woman in an evil man's world. Under The Pink sees Tori regrouping and pushing ahead with a quirkier, more unique sound that owes less to conventional verse-chorus songwriting and the exorcism of her personal demons than her debut. Here, we get Tori the storyteller, leading us through tales of murder (Past The Mission), lost love (Baker Baker), female jealousy (The Waitress), and a number of quirky, off-beat songs that appear to owe nothing to anything other than Tori's vivid imagination.
Fortunately, this vivid imagination also extends to the songwriting, and in terms of musical invention, I think this is Tori's finest album. No need to play with keyboard effects and synthesisers like her later albums - this is pretty much Grand Piano only, with a band and string section backing her up through all except the haunting 'Bells For Her'. And although you can conceivably criticise Tori Amos for her lyrical "kookiness", you cannot fault anyone that makes playing piano so well sound so effortless. Although the album's key song (and hit single) was 'Cornflake Girl', this isn't where you find the long-lasting and haunting music. The range of musical expression across the closing four tracks, from Icicle to the classical-pop of Yes Anastasia, are worth the asking price alone and give more of an insight into the dark but beautiful world inside the head of the remarkable Tori Amos.

5.0 out of 5 stars The kooky redhead...? Listen closer, there is so much more to her than that, 16 July 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
I admit, when Tori was around in the early 90s, I was amongst those who just saw her as an inaccessable, slightly strange American. I think part of that analysis was due to me not being mature enough to appreciate her music and her creativity (I was only appraoching my early teens, so I was more at home with boy band music). My attitude towards Tori and her music took a dramatic turn when I heard her album SCARLET'S WALK, when I was in my early twenties. Now I love her and her music, she has gone from being a kooky redhead to a goddess, in my opinion. In my world, she is easily the most talented artist that I can think of.

UNDER THE PINK was Tori's second release after LITTLE EARTHQUAKES. In many ways, you can easily find the similarities between the two. In songs such as "God", she once again brings aspects of religion into her music. Even though she challenges God - "God sometimes you just don't come through" - it is done in an intelligent way, a way in which I am sure many people can relate to, whether they have faith or not.
"Past the Mission" sees a guest appearance from Trent Reznor. As on LITTLE EARTHQUAKES which had some songs sampling a male voice aswell as Tori's, the addition of Trent's voice gives the track something more. A depth, perhaps, certainly another layer.
"Baker Baker" is my favourite song from the album. Tori's voice is amazing, as usual, but there is fragility here, almost so much so that ther song could be described as tragic. I read in Jay S. Jacob's biography, "Pretty Good Years", that this song was about the coming undone of her relationship with Eric Rosse. Looking at the lyrics to the song, it seems as though Tori shoulders a lot of the 'blame' herslef:-
"he says that behind my eyes I'm hiding and he tells me I pushed him away that my hearts been hard to find".
It is truly a beautiful song.
The album also examines how women betray other women. Three of the songs are specifically made up of this theme - "Cornflake Girl", "Bells for Her" and "The Waitress". The latter of these being a mix of subdued piano playing, which then builds into a crescendo, almost a mad frenzy, for the chorus.

Although UNDER THE PINK has echoes of LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, there is a definite change between the two. As always, Tori's piano playing is fantastic, absolutely top notch. Personally I think one difference is that UNDER THE PINK has songs which may not be as easily accessible as LITTLE EARTHQUAKES. You may have to listen a few times to some before you get the 'meaning' behind them. This aspect of her music is one I have come to appreciate and love above all else. I like having the pieces with me, taking time over them, getting to know them and seeing different things in them depending on how I feel when I listen to them.
While some people may still see Tori as a strange, kooky redhead, to me she is much more than this. Strangeness, in relation to Tori, translates as genius in my world.

5.0 out of 5 stars haunting, 28 Feb 2007
Hiro "Tokyoite" (West Hampstead, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
I am so glad that people below like this CD.

When I bought this CD back in 1994, people used to say her previous 'Little Earthquakes' was far better and this new CD was not as good, which spoiled my excitement to have met this great CD (well, I was 23 and fresh from Tokyo. I just thought I didn't comprehend foreign (to me) music).

After 13 years on, I still listen to 'Under the Pink'. When I play "Pretty Good year" "God" "Bells for her" and "Baker Baker", I feel there are no other songs resemble those songs. What an amazing originality. Most of pop songs sound out of date after a half year, but her songs will never go out of fashion - so I think.

"God sometimes you just don't come through .... Do you need a woman to look after you?"

4.0 out of 5 stars Too many slow tracks, 17 April 2010
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
After buying her greatest hits album I throught it was about time I invested in a proper Tori Amos studio album and seeing that this contains my favorite Tori Amos song to date GOD I went with this one, and to be honest I am very happy with my purchase but I feel like her British counterpart the great Kate Bush She really shines when she sings her quicker songs as she can release all that energy she has in that great voice she has. But on this album there are far too many slow songs for me to give it five stars. Sorry Tori you are still great

5.0 out of 5 stars Give It A Chance, 19 Sep 2003
Hannah W (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
This was only the second Tori album I got, and I never really got into it; the only songs I really liked were 'baker baker' and 'cornflake girl'. After buying Little Earthquakes several years later however I decided to give it another go, and something just clicked; I love all of it! The best songs are 'space dog', 'cornflake girl', 'baker baker' and 'cloud on my tongue' in my opinion.
I would definatly recommend this album, along with all Tori's other except 'To Venus and Back' and 'Scarlet's Walk', though they're okay. If you don't like it at first though, keep listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've never heard anything quite like this, 18 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
The first time i heard a Tori Amos track was on one of the music stations. It was 'Cornflake girl' and i fell in love with it straight away. I later found that this album was one in a number of my friend's cd collection. I put it on straight away and it brought tears to my eyes (this of course had nothing to do with the fact i was getting a visit from Aunt Flow very soon). But seriously, she has an incredible talent and i thank her greatly for sharing this with the rest of the world. The music is magical and her lyrics are fantastic, i've never heard anyone who is brave enough to use such a combination of words (ie. 'there's a cloud sleeping on my tongue' and 'if i hate her, if i ate her'). Well done Tori!

5.0 out of 5 stars Near musical perfection..., 20 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
Ok, so I admit I'm probably biased in that I am in love with her, but it can't be denied that this is an excellent album. Haunting melodies and almos fairy tale imagery and piano work combine to make the mos beautiful album I own. I can put Cloud On My Toungue, Yes Anastasia, Pretty Good Year and Icicle on repeat and listen happily all day. That's not to say the other tracks aren't just as good. When she plays with a band, a la Cornflake Girl, God, Spacedog etc, the music takes on a different personality. The album hits an almighty high, and never comes back down. The word genious is far over used, and generally I try to avoid it, but here there really is no alternative. Personally I think that this is her best album, although I love them all. The songwriting and emotion here seem just slightly above most other releases, with the possible exception of a few non-album tracks such as Siren or Cooling. Regardless of all this, though, Under The Pink is a slice of piano heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tori Amos's best of her five albums, 25 July 2000
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
God is a freaky blast , the Beatles imminence in The Waitress to the bizarre roller coaster moods of Space Dog and the curtain drops on bitter sweet Yes Anastasia. I found Under The Pink one of the most rewarding pop experiences I had ever encountered , a diverse journey of Tori's talents from her heart breaking piano and pleasent screeching tones. Tori's lyrics are original ,versatile and poetic with lyrics such as" monsters in there Easter dresses "cozilly from the nursery and "She's in her pumpkin pj's" to controversially unprintable daring lyrics. Under The Pink stands head and shoulders above all of her other albums ever since listening to Under the Pink, I own all five Tori Amos albums and have seen her on her rare Uk live performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under the Sink, 15 Jun 2000
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
This album was my first and is my favourite Tori Amos album. Trying hard not to describe it as the peak in her career, I see it as being after the early-nineties sound of 'Little Earthquakes' and before her more recent albums where she's become a lot more diverse in style.
I'd like to name certain tracks in particular, but they're all so good, there isn't a track on the album that makes you want to skip it when you listen to it. It's packed tight with and an excellent blend of crisp clean piano and guitar. And as for Tori's vocal capabilities, her voice is as dynamic and angelic as ever.
I would definetly recommend this album as a first buy from the Tori collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love on not first but second listen., 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: Under The Pink (Audio CD)
If you have bought this CD and didn't like it at the first listening I recommend you wait a while and listen some other albums by Tori and then give this album a second try. I fell in love with Tori's first album (Little Earthquakes) the first time I listened to it but the same didn't happen with 'Under the Pink'. I thought it lacked in emotion and melodies, but now I have discovered it really isn't much different from 'Little Earthquakes'. It has got the great piano playing and it's musically as fantastic as 'Little Earthqukes'. Actually I think it's kind of happier version of Tori's first album. I recommend this album for everybody.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Under The Pink
Under The Pink by Tori Amos (Audio CD - 1994)