5.0 out of 5 stars I HEAR BLACK - OVERKILL.
I PERSONALLY LOVE THIS ALBUM..IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES..WITH IT'S SLOWER SABBATH TYPE RIFFING MIXED WITH THE MORE TYPICAL OVERKILL THRASHING..I WOULD PLACE THIS ALBUM IN MY OVERKILL TOP FIVE PLAY LIST..GIVE IT A TRY, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !!!!!!
Published on 7 Nov. 2007 by Mr. Andrew M. Davey

3.0 out of 5 stars Be carefull with this album
Published on 11 April 2010 by Xtro Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars Be carefull with this album, 11 April 2010
Xtro Jon (Derbyshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Hear Black (Audio CD)
Glad to see this album is liked by some listeners because its far from bad. Its just that caution is required if you like the really heavy or thrashy Overkill stuff because this album was a change of direction that I personally am pleased Overkill did not continue with.At the time 'I Hear Black' was released the popularity of Thrash Metal had took a bit of a knock thanks to a fad known as Grunge so many of the best thrash bands back then were having to adapt or die. With this in mind it is unfair to knock this album just because it is not to my particular taste of Overkill style because what is on offer is of a high standard playing wise. You will find Overkill fans who loathe this album because it marked a lull in Overkills popularity and sound, this would be justified if Overkill had carried on in the same direction, but of course they didn't as their latest album 'Ironbound' proves (buy it now if you haven't already!). So think of 'I Hear Black' a little like Iron Maiden fans think of 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son', good albums both, but most of us are glad the change of direction wasn't permanent.

5.0 out of 5 stars I HEAR BLACK - OVERKILL., 7 Nov. 2007

4.0 out of 5 stars Unjustly underrated., 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: I Hear Black (Audio CD)
Many fans dislike this album as it was so different from Horrorscope (IMO their best work). I have to admit at first I didn't really like it but having given it a chance I think there are quite a few positives.

The best way to sum this up is Overkill does Black Sabbath. The songs are slower and heavier, the guitar riffs are quite simple with a lot of groove. Blitz is very melodic & sings a more than previous rather than using his trade mark raspy voice.
The down side is the production is a bit cold and flat which is a shame because there is some excellent heavy riffing on display - Weight of the World, Ignorance & Innocence.

I think one of Overkills strengths is their ability to stay within the thrash/metal world while exploring different sounds. Obviously not everything they do is a winner but its nice to see a band exploring ways to stay sounding fresh without selling out.

Over all I think this album is unjustly underrated, there are some excellent songs and it offers something different to from their earlier releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Sept. 2014
Many Thanks

I Hear Black
I Hear Black by Over Kill (Audio CD - 2003)