5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most underated artists

Published 5 months ago by Thomas Byström

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most underated artists, 10 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
Listening to this album, I can't believe how Marc Cohn isn't a major household name. Very few people that I know seem to have heard of him, which I think is a total disgrace. 'Walking in Memphis' is obviously a classic, despite Cher's bludgeoning of it (what irritates me more than anything is that the general public probably recognize her version more than the original). All the songs on this album keep to the quality of the aforementioned title, including the excellent 'Silver Thunderbird' and 'Strangers in a Car'. A marvelous album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 23 Nov. 2007
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Omr) (Mlps) (Audio CD)
This artist is seriously underrated. This album has stood the test of time and is as uplifting and moving as the first time I heard it. 'Dig Down Deep' and 'Walk On Water' never fail to move me, but the whole album is incredible. There is some great piano and moving lyrics and song writing. Not one song is dud and I can't recommend it highly enough. I love this artist, all of his albums and want more, more, more!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated, 1 Jun. 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
This artist is seriously underated. This album has stood the test of time and is as uplifting and moving as the first time I heard it. 'Dig Down Deep' and 'Walk On Water' never fail to move me, but the whole album is incredible. There is some great piano and moving lyrics and song writing. Not one song is dud and I can't recommend it highly enough. I love this artist, all of his albums and want more, more, more!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs from a gentleman, 6 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
My first experience of Marc Cohn's music was on a 1980's chart music show when "True Companion" played out the end titles. When I bought the album I wasn't disappointed, every track had the same feel of music played from the heart.
When Cher released "Walking in Memphis" I could sing along word-perfect, but none of my friends had heard of Marc Cohn. When I'm in a wistful mood - this always gets a play. Terrific. Give yourself a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping the best for first�but there are even better tracks, 12 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
Marc Cohn is not a household name and he does not appear to be a prolific producer of albums - this and two others.
This is sophisticated music sung by a guy who has a cool, husky voice who happens to be a pretty good instrumentalist, too. Lyrically, the tracks on this album are all refreshing and, instrumentally, he has a tight set of backing players. However, it is his piano playing and his voice which pave the way to glory here. Listen to "Strangers In A Car" for a classic example of what I mean.
"Walking In Memphis" is a fabulous tune which was a smash hit for him. Unfortunately, I guess most people know the version by Cher which I consider was awful!
Anyway, instead of dwelling on that, listen to the original and then take in "Ghost Train" and the beautiful "Silver Thunderbird" which is an absolute masterpiece. These two, plus "Strangers In A Car" are the highlights
There are other excellent tracks like "Saving The Best For Last", the intense "True Companions" and the brilliant Willy Dixon blues track "29 Ways". All the others tracks, "Dig Down Deep", "Walk On Water", "Miles Away" and "Perfect Love" are all great tracks that take a little time to get used to - sometimes there appears to be an awkwardness about the tracks which is strangely enticing and not at all unattractive. However, once you are in tune with them, you will see that they are quite atmospheric and add to the completeness of this excellent album.
Marc Cohn is probably paying the price for winning the Grammy for Best New Artist in 1991 and the success of "Memphis", because the follow-up albums (The Rainy Season & Burning The Daze) are not a patch on this. But this is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice gold cd but NOT an SACD!, 28 Nov. 2011
P. White (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Omr) (Mlps) (Audio CD)
I ordered this item because it was listed as an SACD and I REALLY wanted that.
It turns out to be a high quality standard CD with a gold data layer. That's the best you'll ever get from a CD but it's far from SACD so I'm not impressed with Amazon's labelling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Masterpiece, 20 July 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
One of THE best albums of the 90's stands the test of time. Can we have more please Marc? 3 albums in a decade may be quality (Rainy Season 4 star and Burning...3)but some of us want quantity too!
Don't be put off by the awful covers of "Walking in Memphis" (Cher etc...), even if you're tired of that track there's plenty more besides here. Appropriately, James Taylor guests, but its not all laid back - take the passion of "True Companion" for example, or the intelligence of "Silver Thunderbird".
Buy it, and check out Paul Brady and Mike Silver (surf for Faymus recordings) while you're about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars he de man, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
Marc Cohn is so easy to listen to and all his songs have a story in the lyrics that mean something, not just stupid repetition of a phrase/chorus. But why oh why did he allow Cher to cover Walking in Memphis????

4.0 out of 5 stars title carries the album for nice ride, 2 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
The song "Walking in Memphis" has been a favorite for years. It is fresh sounding even now. The artist shows a remarkable ability to change themes, sounds, beats, so that his songs are not carbon copies of each other. My other favorite "Rainy Season" is not on this album but sounds nothing like "Walking". This artist also has a charming sense of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 July 2009
S. K. FLORA (Sutton Coldfield,U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marc Cohn (Audio CD)
This is one of the most fantastic debut albums your ever likely to hear full of evocative,thoughtful and superbly crafted songs that genuinely tug at the heartstrings and stir the imagination.
Every single song on this disc has something to offer as they stir up a range of emotions from thoughful melancholy to tender happier moments.
If you are new to March Cohn i'd suggest purchasing his 'hits' cds then get this next for the songs that aren't included on the compilation as they are easily their equal.
Put this disc on and just chill out and enjoy a master of his craft.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Marc Cohn
Marc Cohn by Marc Cohn (Audio CD - 1991)