Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 January 2002
This collection gives a good overview of some of the most notable tracks
by Donny Hathaway, the classy soul singer / pianist who died tragically
young in 1979. It includes a number of well-known songs which Hathaway
handles in his own distinctive style, as well as several hit duets with
Roberta Flack, whose musical style has much in common with that of
Hathaway. Most of the songs are slow ballads; for the most part this isn't
dance music but rather thoughtful and heartfelt true 'soul' music. However,
it's a pity about the dreary cover design and the lack of any biographical
details or musician credits, which would have enhanced an otherwise good
package.
on 19 April 2009
Donny Hathaway is a musical genius, his tone and phrasing is bar none. From start to finish this album does not have one bad track, they can make you cry or smile. This album is musical chocolate,
VINE VOICEon 5 August 2007
Donny Hathaway is little known to the general public, beyond a duet partner of Roberta Flack. They had several hits together, included here. His solo work should be much better known. It is drenched in class and soul. If you like Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, then I rate this guy right up there with them.

Sometimes the emotion that the music evokes is almost too real and painful. The first track 'A Song For You' sets the pace for much of the album. It opens with beautiful tinkling piano, then you just know that something very special is going to happen. The song has been recordrd by The Carpenters and Natalie Cole as well as others, but to my ears, this is the definitive version.

This album is a good introduction to one of the finest and most talented soul singers. I warn you that you might want more.
on 24 October 2013
I've only just really discovered the vocal talents of the late great Donny Hathaway even though I bought his single Back Together when it first came out in 1980. All I can say is that why on earth did I wait so long to listen to the one of the great soul voices of our time. Apart from Mr Vandross, this man has to be heard.
on 29 October 2014
Probably one of the best singers around in the seventies in my opinion and the album I just bought has some great tracks on it. Sounds a little like George benson in some of the songs he sings who I also think great.
on 8 December 2015
Donna Hathaway is one of my very favourite singers of all time along with George Benson who he sounds very like at times : his voice is just sublime, liquid gold to my ears and I have wanted to have some of his material for ages now. I love the classics here with Roberta Flack and have listened to them over and over although I felt some of the other songs on the album were a little weak.
on 27 May 2012
I purchased this collection as it has all the best song by Donny Hathaway. It is simply amazing! Everytime I listen to it it makes me want to join in and sing it too. I have some favorites and these are actually on my music list for my wedding reception. I love this album and if you have not heard it yet, do it now!
on 21 July 2013
I loved the track selection mainly, poor cover artwork and lack of artist information does Donny a disservice, but .overall a good product
on 21 December 2011
Not exactly my cup of tea, but she loves it and that's all that matters. I didn't buy it for me.
on 14 July 2013
This CD album arrived in the same package with the" Hope - Hugh Masekela" album, the was no "wrapping" to this CD album as usual. So it does not look like - it is a new album at all. I don't think I ordered a "used item", so I was very disappointed. As there was no scratch on the CD and the production of the songs included in this album. I decided not to return and ask for a refund.