Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 May 2007
GUMBO is one of my all-time favourite albums and my favourite in the cannon of my favourite jazz piano player, Dr John.

Back in the 1970s, a pal of mine was a huge Dr John fan and tried very hard to get me enthused about the Voodoo mumblings that made up albums like Gris-Gris and Remedies ... to no avail. Until I heard GUMBO. Though I didn't know it at the time, I was to become a massive fan (via The Blues Brothers) of artists like Junior Wells and the later Atlantic and Stax musicians. What Dr John showed me here was where those musicians took their inspiration from.

I don't think many will argue that Dr John isn't one of the best living jazz pianists we have, and his perky barrel-house style is very much in evidence here. And because of this album, I've sought out opportunities to see the great man live and seen his playful duets with Jools Holland on telly, all richly rewarding experiences.

In retrospect, of course, I came to appreciate Dr John's other work, and have marvelled at the range of famous musicians who've queued up to work with him (Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Mick Jagger, the list goes on), making him the quintessential musician's musician.

Contrary to other reviews about Dr John's work, I'm more inclined to say that if you want an introduction to one of the greatest musicians of the last fifty years, then start here, with a taste of GUMBO.
on 25 April 2002
This was a revelation and refreshing revisitation in those heady hippie days at the time it was released some thirty years ago, and is all the greater for its continued freshness to this day.
Quite simply, it was a firm favourite when issued (not long after seeing Mac live at the 1970 Bath Festival). It is still a top ranking all-time classic and is possibly the essential one to have - but of course there are so many great offerings that it is hard to choose.
So as one of the central characters in the history of rock/fonk/r&b, with authentic respect for his peers, and a true originator to boot - this album sums it up!
I will continue to turn out to hear the man in action whenever possible.
Just try it. Its good for the soul.
Ray C
on 6 May 2015
I was lucky enough to see Doctor John at the time this album was released. Apart from the Doctor himself, superb on piano and occasional guitar, there was the one of the best drummers I've ever seen. This was a supergroup in the real sense of the word.
This album is quality from top to bottom, musicianship of the highest order and a superb selection of New Orleans tunes. If my house caught fire I'd be running back in for this one!
on 27 May 2012
Here's the good doctor having a barrel load of fun performing a bunch of New Orleans standards and golden oldies. What's not to like? Put this on and try not to sing along!
on 30 January 2015
Absolutely brilliant, can't stop listening to this album. One of the best ever!
on 28 June 2015
As with the other review I gave for same artist, not as great as I'd hoped
on 2 December 2015
Fast delivery time so I am pleased.
on 2 February 2001
This is certainly a good album, but not as rewarding as the album 'Gris Gris'. Dr John is a very contemporary and original artist, with some brilliant songs on his repetoire. However, if you have never heard any Dr John before, I would suggest buying 'Gris Gris' first. For die hard fans, though, this is a must.
on 3 December 2015