5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Music
I have in excess of twenty albums by Dave Brubeck and his various groups, but this has to be my favourite.
Published on 31 Jan 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars see comments below
this record was returned to you as it would not play from track 1 and jumped repeatedly on other tracks.
my other recent purchases have been from VG to EXCELLENT.
Published 19 months ago by Brian Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Music, 31 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: We're All Together Again For The First Time (Audio CD)
This concert recording almost serves as a swan song of respected saxophonist Paul Desmond, who would die four years later from lung cancer. Some of Desmond's playing is some of the most lyrical I have heard, in particular a remarkable four-bar phrase towards the end of his astonishing solo in 'Unfinished Woman', a funky build-up of ideas written by Gerry Mulligan with an understated start. This is an amazing track!
The alto is also especially good in the evocative elegy 'Koto Song', with its eastern influences and chromaticisms, expressing a wistfulness of the quartet's previous excursions.
Gerry Mulligan's baritone sax. playing is equally musically competent, as seen in his melodic solo in 'Truth', introducing a 'way out' solo from Dave demonstrating his trademark heavy playing, before the number returns to the opening theme, as is the pattern of most of these tracks.
Shame about Dave's minute-long track 'Sweet Georgia Brown', as it is rather sub-standard compared to the other tracks, unlike the many encores played with the same band (minus Desmond) at the Berlin Philharmonie two years prior to this concert.
'Rotterdam Blues' really shows up the talent of these individuals though, especially Dave's, to generate musical ideas from scratch. Granted that it sits back into a less eventful chord progression, but the band pick up the groove nicely and Mulligan digs Brubeck's style well.
It is fun to hear two saxes playing in harmony on Paul's standard 'Take Five', Gerry's growling baritone balancing his voice-like, floating alto. The piano solo in this signature tune never fails to amuse me in its suggestive simplicity, then gradual ascension in pace, expansion and technicality. Dawson's electric mastery of percussion in this exciting solo is worthy of Brubeck's previous drummer, Joe Morello, though with a more contemporary influence of rock and funk in this recording made in 1973.
It is rare to find an album in which all the players are playing at their best, but here is a timeless example, containing fusions of funk and jazz which work effectively, and that I highly recommend as an investment for its sheer quality of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling!, 26 Sep 2011
Simon (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We're All Together Again For The First Time (Audio CD)
It's all been said in the first review. The only criticism I have is that it's not long enough! If you like this, you'll like Live at the Berlin Philharmonie too.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first album that features thee of my favourite artists., 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: We're All Together Again For The First Time (Audio CD)
I knew that meeting of these Jazz greats would bring a very brilliant Album, and I was dully supported by my fellow jack collectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Brubeck and other musicians., 16 Jan 2013
A tribute to the outstanding Dave Brubeck and other well known Jazz figures in the recording field. Sit back and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars We're All Together Again for the First Time. Dave Brubeck, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: We're All Together Again For The First Time (Audio CD)
Wonderful - what more can I say - I am a devoted fan of the late Dave Brubeck - buy this and everything else he recorded!

Rita Craft.
London.

1.0 out of 5 stars see comments below, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: We're All Together Again For The First Time (Audio CD)
my other recent purchases have been from VG to EXCELLENT.

We're All Together Again For The First Time
We're All Together Again For The First Time by Gerry Mulligan (Audio CD - 1993)