4.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of masterpiece...
'Falling Into Infinity', the only album to feature keyboardist Derek Sherinian (bearing in mind A Change of Seasons is an EP), was a record biased towards what the general public 'wanted to hear' in '97 by the producers.
What resulted is a lot more ear and radio friendly listen (the fact that the only DT song on my local Riley's jukebox is 'Hollow Years' kind of...
Published on 10 July 2009 by Ryan Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfairly criticised - a good album for it's merits.
Yes, I know - this is not Images and Words. It is not Awake either. But let's remember that DT were under immense pressure by their somewhat dictatorial record label to ditch the long, complex songs and write hits (Capitalism is the bane of human society, in my opinion, and this epitomises that, but I digress.) Firstly, from what I've read, there was to be a second disc...
Published on 18 Oct. 2007 by JRBain

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jun. 2007
Sam Gallagher "Musical Maniac" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
Well, i'll be honest, this is the album that got me properly into Dream Theater. I say 'properly' because the first album i heard was Awake, which is great but quite dark sounding in parts. I found Falling Into Infinity a lot easier to listen to. As a drummer, i was hugely drawn into Mike Portnoys' drumming capabilities so for any drummer's 'Lines in The Sand' in particular is rather fantastic.

I think my favourite tracks from the album are: Lines In the Sand, Hells Kitchen, Take Away My Pan (oops that was a spelling mistake but i'll leave it in as that would make a great song!), Burning My Soul, Hollow Years, ... i'm actually just going to end up naming all the tracks if i don't stop...

So give it a listen i say.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag:- albeit a varied one!, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
A DT album I revisit-to quite frequently, and is perhaps both Dream Theater's most varied and uneven album. A few factors however punctuate the background and compellation behind this 4th full length CD and so I think that it's examination is important., This is actually the first and only DT album with the presence of subtle keyboardist:- Derek Serinian:- (the very short replacement for the previously untimely departure of Kevin Moore), it is a factor that I find to be of particular highlight and moment.

The Falling into Infinity period however, was also a slightly troubling and uncertain time for the band; with particular reference to the aim of future musicial success and they're respective record company -peer- pressure. This peer pressure for a more accessible and and semi-distilled sound was likely a compensation measure at an expense of the more traditional and lengthy arrangements. In fact, it was certainly apositive outcome that the album had even surfaced at all since that they were considering a rather dramatic folding of the band's career.

Falling into Infinity was also a product of a shelved double album concept, where over and hour and a half's worth of music was originally intended to be distributed over a 2disc set. This double album never actually materialised and neither did any officially released representation come to many of the truly epic b-sides and a-side rejections of-what could have been a truly audacious and committed album set. The tracks of merit can now be found on many demos, EP's, and the (relatively rarer) D/T's collector's fanclub CD's.

Album space for the new accessible DT sound appears regularly across selections like the fairly sanitised "You not me, the triple ballads of: Hollow years, Take away my pain and Anna lee"; which are, all excellent compositions in they're own right, but still probably lack the traditional DT bite and the strong progressiveness to which are so expected,. A much better effort is probably "Peruvian Skies", where a strong lyrical theme is helmed together by a part ballad and part metal incubus towards it's conclusion.

Other highlights include the dramatic and inspired "New Millenium" which features a range of progressive and tempo intracusies, this actively contrasts the excellent jam of "Hell's kitchen", the vile abomination of "Burning my soul", and the less than spectacular "Just let me breathe". The legendary 12 minute epic of "Lines in the sand" goes hand-in-hand with the real star of the show in the unashamed 13 minute '3-part chapter' of "Trail of tears", which remains to this day as one of my favourite songs ever from the band and the sub-genre with it's both intoxicating, inescapable atmosphere and theatrics.

In summary:- one stinker, in collaboration with a few average to good quality numbers isn't enough to bring this down to a standard effort. The highlights (and there are many!) rise to the high standard required and the trump card is on a real emphasis of excellent lines, innovative progression and a mantra of peak and thorough songwriting. Apart from a slightly lightweight production and tinny sound from (the then' drummer Mike Portnoy,) James Labrie rounds off the piece with quite a commanding vocal performance.

Definately an album worth getting hold of for a sound in the progressive variety, or with the fans with any interest at all in some of the best moments of Dream Theater.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's wrong with you?, 9 Feb. 2008
Kimmie Lee Petersen-Westergaard (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
This is a great album! How can anyone say that it is so bad? Said shortly: Hollow Years is one of many good reasons to buy this album. It is probably the best song I've ever heard. So beautiful, so many harmonies, so great instrumental performance. It is just improved on the "live at Budokan" with Petrucci's solo. I cried when I heard it live in Copenhagen some years ago.

All the other tracks are great too, especially Anna Lee, Take Away My Pain, Just Let Me Breathe and so forth.. But if you want just ONE good reason to buy it - Hollow Years would be my answer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than is often thought, 29 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
Only a month ago did I recieve my first DT album. I immediately bought another 4, one of which is falling into infinity. I failed to listen to this as I had heard it is not any good, I just listened to the others. I have only just started but it is still brilliant, even if it is their weakest album. They never fail to amaze me although a new keyboardist on this album didnt work out too well they are now back on their feet with jordan rudess. If you like DT, buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Failed Interim Identity, 13 July 2003
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
DT have, I think, suffered an identity crisis ever since Kevin Moore, a major creative force, left the band after 'Awake'. Despite that they've continued to produce brilliant material, including this. But strangely it's like listening to a different band and doesn't feel like DT - some fans have a problem with that, but it's still good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great..., 24 Aug. 2003
Bruce Turnbull "Acoma_Spy_Master" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
'Falling into infinity' takes alot of listens, its very mellow and very melodic, there isn't really a bad song on it to be perfectly honest, although some sections of 'Burning my soul' are a little annoying, and Mike Portnoy's lyrics are rather toe curling at times. 'New millenium' 'Peurvian skies' and the sorrowful, yet uplifting 'Hollow years' are amazing tunes, and are what you expect from DT although 'Take away my pain' and 'Anna lee' are more ballads that are rather flat and give the album more of a commercial touch. 'Trial of tears' is the best track on the album, another epic album closer, with plenty of guitar widiling and great vocals to boot, this is not the best album to showcase James labrie's vocals, but they get better as the album progresses, all in all a good cd, a little different for DT, but not as terrible as some folk think, also this album includes 'Hell's kitchen' which is an amazing instumental.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot Better than I thought it would be, 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
Comparing any of DT's albums is difficult when their weakest album is still very very good. This album is mellower than others and more prog-rock than prog-metal but there are some great tracks in here and it is a good fit amongst their other heavier albums and concept albums. The production is a bit on the safe side with more predictable structures and melodies, usually though DT works are not easy background listening but Falling into Infinity is more so and catchy. Hell's Kitchen is brilliant, as are some others. Don't miss it because of what you hear about the albums reception on release, it is a really good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl! I have to say something..., 11 Jun. 2014
Basically my message is this double vinyl album totally stomps all over the CD version (as long as your turntable is good quality). So as far as being value for money is concerned, well this will be the version I listen to in future so it was worth buying.

Further information. The vinyl is good quality and there is a lyric sheet insert. As far as actual sound quality, I have the special edition double vinyl of Images and Words but Falling Into Infinity is actually better in presenting realism, dynamics and a stunning bass. It also really shows up the compression on the CD.

On this double the break between record 1 and 2 is across Hell's Kitchen and Lines In The Sand so I was wondering how that would be handled as they merge into each other on the CD. I was expecting a disappointing fade out and fade in for each track. However it is better than that. Hell's Kitchen does fade out but only in the same way it does on the CD and there is no hint of the following track so a good clean break to record 1. Lines In The Sand has been given a new intro which is only a few seconds long but resolves the track into a single entity very nicely. I am very glad I bought this vinyl version.

Now why can't I find a vinyl version of 'Awake'?

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced edition, 15 Feb. 2014
I'm giving 3 stars as the quality for this vinyl edition is not great. Looks like a bit of a cheap edition, I feel it's overpriced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Instumentalists, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
I bought this mostly for the track "Hells Kitchen" and as an introduction to Dream Theatre. I mostly listen to instrumental music and I'm afraid the vocals in Dream Theatre aren't going to change that, but that's just my taste. Still a great band.

Falling Into Infinity
Falling Into Infinity by Dream Theater (Audio CD - 1997)