5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest ever "I've just been dumped" album, 30 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
A relationship break up inspires Jackson Browne to a beautiful, melodic album of personal, soul-searching lyrics. The album has a more simple, accoustic feel to it than its worthy but overproduced predecessor World in Motion. The outstanding track on the album is Too Many Angels, a ballad of breathtaking beauty and bittersweet lyrics, but there is quality here throughout, from the upbeat numbers I'm Alive and Miles Away to the simple but achingly beautiful ballads such as Sky Blue and Black and All Good Things. The harmonies are spot on throughout, and the album is great therapy for those who've just been dumped!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love...And The Way It Can Sometimes Go, 29 May 2004
S. Wright (Sheffield, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
Many albums have been written as a dedication of love to a particular person, or to a particular group of people. Albums of love are often wonderful affairs that just can't be brought down no matter what. Well, with one exception; if the love breaks.
That's why Jackson Browne's concept when he wrote 'I'm Alive' in 1993 is an unusual one. 'I'm Alive' is without a doubt the best album written about 'the break-up'. Jackson Browne in the past has made some interesting dedications, particularly notable is the unusual subject of 'The Load-Out', a song dedicated to the hardworking roadies in the background of his incessant touring of the 1970's. There's also dedications to being blue-collar, 9 while 5 worker wanting to break away (The Pretender) and indeed a pleading wave of giving up on his relationship with Joni Mitchell (Late For The Sky), and that is where 'I'm Alive' comes back in, except rather than writing one heartfelt epic, Browne has written 10 smaller effecting songs.
'Late For The Sky' along with the same-titled album, were released way back in 1974, while 'I'm Alive' was written in 1994, exactly 20 years later. This shows a number of things about Jackson Browne, as a person, and his music; from the tone of 'I'm Alive', lovers have come and gone, some more painful than others, and every emotion of his, and every other man's break-up is featured on 'I'm Alive'. What it says about Jackson as a person, is despite his political ponderings of the 1980's, very little or none of his tunes from that era can match his earlier work and the songs of 'I'm Alive'. The link between the two? They're all love songs with human meanings that all humans can understand and that also brings out Jackson's best song writing. In fact his best song writing since 1974's 'Late For The Sky'.
Despite Browne's subject of choice for 'I'm Alive' it is without a doubt anything but depressing. In fact, the title track, a song about having to let go of your lover despite being able to hear their 'laughter in your head', is very rare indeed. It's a song with a very negative meaning that's convincingly positive. 'Yeah, now I'm rolling down this canyon drive/ With your laughter in my head/ I'm gonna have to block it out somehow to survive/ 'cause those dreams are dead / And I'm alive', played to a low-key guitar hook and acoustic backing, that's convincing enough to let the listener know the sadness in the song, and yet positive enough to let you know that the pain must be fought is both quietly saddening and yet, settling and rousing. Indeed 'My Problem Is You' follows a very similar line only in a different way. The positive ness is there and it's for all to see, but somewhere stood behind just in sight is the sadness. It's a bitter song that won't let the bitterness go, because as with most problems with relationships there is still love there that stops the true bitterness from surfacing.
Indeed 'I'm Alive' is almost a journal entry in Jackson's life put into audio and yet, visual, such is the sincere ness of the music. But what makes 'I'm Alive' truly wonderful is the full concept of it all; the layers it contains. Beginning with the pain of finding out about the failing relationship (I'm Alive, My Problem Is You), recollection of the love as it was (a stunning reggae styled love song, 'Everywhere I Go'), pleading to stay (I'll Do Anything), the lover leaving (Miles Away), the initial feelings of living without them (Too Many Angels), bitterness but yet, love (Take This Rain, Two Of Me, Two Of You), and finally acceptance of the end of the relationship (the truly stunning 'Sky Blue And Black', 'All Good Things). It's almost like a lesson is psychology only with less learning and more feeling. Each song Jackson produces contains something distinctive, such as the beautiful piano in 'Sky Blue and Black', and light joyous reggae beat of the love song, 'Everywhere I Go', the graceful backing vocals of 'Take This Rain', while constantly being catchy, producing excellent easily translatable lyrics, or as fans will call it remaining 'Jackson Browne'.
Basically Jackson Browne in 1994 created his best offering in 20 years, since his 1974 classic heartbroken 'Late For The Sky', and has produced one of the best albums of the 1990's, with it's appealing powers, not just to those who have suffered under the hands of love, but those who haven't. I personally am very happy with my girlfriend, and listening to someone who hasn't been so unfortunate makes me think how lucky I am. So it appeals to all. Does this tell us that Jackson Browne is better in this unhappy state with a smile shining through? Maybe, but no-one can stay like that forever as each 'layer' of Jackson's best concept to date shows. Politics might have been his fancy piece of the 1980's, but he's back where he belongs with 'I'm Alive' where his fancy piece, once again, is love, and accepting its consequences.
4.5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackson Browne's Sgt Pepper's, 25 Aug 2004
L. SOUTHGATE - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
When i first heard this album i was 13. I had copied my dad's music taste to a certain extent and been out and bought 'The Pretender' for 50p from a bargain basement in a record store called World records. I thought it was truly amazing. I did not really appreciate the album until i owned it for myself on vinyl. I then went out and collected everything i could by Jackson. I needed to hear more, although being thirteen i didn't fully understand all the meaning behind the words i understood enough. THen to my excitement i found out that he was releasing a new album. Wow, an artist i liked releasing a new album. THis is more amazing than it sounds because tha music i liked at the time was by people who weren't releasing many albums anymore e.g The beach boys. Jackson even featured on THe Chart Show on Saturday morning with the video for 'Everywhere i go'. That was enough for me to save up my paperound money and buy the album. I could empathise with song completely. I was in love myself, or i thought i was. I knew what it was like not to be cool when around this girl and all the other accurate observations that Jackson points out. I loved the song. Other songs that i loved straight away were miles away and my problem is you because i saw him on BBC2 playing them at Glastonbury. HOwever the real beauty of this album is not the songs you like straight away but the ones you force feed yourself in an attempt to be a little more ecclectic in your musical taste. As i grew older and learned of the pain that love could bring, the songs on this album carried me through letting me know that i was not alone and that others experienced the utterly heart wrenching pain . It is exactly this that makes this special. Jackson conveys his emotions about love in a way that lets me know everything he went through. I am 24 now and the album still makes regular appearances on my hifi. At the moment i am in love with the song Too MANY ANGELS. You must buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to full form, 17 Jan 2007
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
Severe stress seems to bring out the best in Jackson's songwriting. The depth of emotion in this album is clear and transmitted by the excellent production of this disc. Put it on a good stereo or headphones to get the full effect but this is a stunning album.

Sensitive subject matter, subtle guitar and piano hooks and fine musicianship make this a return to full form for Jackson. The production returns to a simpler and more accessible format and the album is all the better for it.

Those dreams are dead / but I'm alive

Says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, he's alive, 12 Mar 2014
J. Danhof (Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
Of course this is not a new cd, but still one of his best. It's probably the cd that has been in my cd-player more than any other cd and I enjoyed the dvd also made during this period with the same band behind him. Some of the these songs are even better played live, especially the ones with his compadre David Lindley. Browne fans should all have this one, because it's one his essential cd's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
Having only recently been introduced to the music of Jackson Browne I've been doing a trawl through the old albums. I'm Alive has some fabulous tracks on it and has to be one of his great albums in my humble opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Alive - Jackson Browne., 19 Aug 2014
P. R. Phillips (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
I've got all his earlier albums and am only now catching up on his later stuff. Looking East, one of my favourites, I've had for awhile and "I'm Alive" is just as good or maybe even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant songwriter, singer & guitarist, 21 July 2014
Mrs. G. Young - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
A brilliant songwriter,singer & guitarist... I saw his solo tour a few years ago & he is just as good live as recorded.
D.Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackson on Top Form, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: I'm Alive (Audio CD)
Bought this copy for a friend. I already have it and think it's his best album.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: I'm Alive (MP3 Download)
Jackson Browne's music has been with me for most of my life, starting with The Pretender and These Days by Nico. Love this album, especially Sky Blue and Black. had to order the sheet music for this album, not something I have done for years

I'm Alive
I'm Alive by Jackson Browne (Audio CD - 1993)