5.0 out of 5 stars Much maligned but the Maniacs at their peak, 10 April 2009
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (Audio CD)
As a veteran of 10000 Maniacs, and Merchant for that matter I think it is important to fly the flag for this one. It was released when it was terribly uncool to be 'political' and we can all blame Bono for that one. It was always going to be hard to follow The Wishing Chair and In My Tribe, but if you have either of those albums but not this one then you should buy it without worry.
It is indeed a moral journey, right from the opening Eat for Two which could almost be a Sunday sermon, only delivered with finesse and a touch of sadness. Please Forgive Us is either blessed with incredible foresight or American foreign policy hasn't changed much since the album came out (does this make this album timeless? - I think so). You Happy Puppet is a prediction of George Bush Jr.'s future election to high office : "how did they teach you to be a happy puppet dancing on a string?" Well I like to think so anyway. Headstrong is a fantastic, angry song with a great penetrating riff blasting its way through the length of the song. The Lion's Share is my favourite song and adequately sums up the economic policy of the 'developed' nations and also accurately predicts their downfall:
"Razor claws in velvet paws, you dunce in your guarded home, 'til a stronger beast will call on you and pounce upon your throne."
Absolutely spot on, Natalie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated, but excellent, 9 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (Audio CD)
Natalie Merchant was was much better with 10,000 Maniacs than she is solo. This was the first 10,000 Maniacs album I heard, way back in 1990. Like most fans, I think that 'Our Time in Eden' was the best, but although 'In Our Tribe' was more popular than 'Blind Man's Zoo', I think that BMZ is unfairly neglected. That is probably because of Natalie Merchant's politically controversial lyrics for many of the tracks, rather than the quality of the songs themselves. I find the emotional impact of the first three tracks, 'Eat for two' (a feminist take on unwanted pregnancy), 'Please forgive us' (about Reagan's secret war against Nicaragua) and 'The big parade' (about the Vietnam Memorial in Washington) greater than any of the songs in other albums - they are more memorable and rank among my Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs favourites. This album lacks the haunting beauty of 'Our Time in Eden', but it is punchier.

5.0 out of 5 stars A re-discovery..., 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (Audio CD)
I recently decided that it was time to re-visit (and re-purchase) some old albums to give me something to fill the background to the working hours. I had been a great fan of 10,000 Maniacs back in the day, but times have changed and so have I (thank goodness!)

So I wasn't sure what my older, wiser and much more cynical self would make of this but I thought at the cost of a pint it was worth a go.

Wow, it's beautiful. I don't know much about music but I find Natalie's voice stunning - it's much better than I remember it. The earnestness of the lyrics, which I thought might grate or be overly sentimental have an innocence which is rather lovely. It's very, very different than being hectored by the likes of Sting or dare I say, Billy Bragg.

I also find the despairing anger of many of the songs (Dust Bowl, The Big Parade, Eat for Two etc etc) surprisingly more relevant now than 20 years ago.

A real and unexpected treat.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album., 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (MP3 Download)
This is a good album, but not their best. Well worth getting though. I would recommend 10,000 maniacs unplugged as a good starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars warbley folk music but very good, 25 Aug 2013
Mrs. A. M. Mitchell (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (Audio CD)
my usual preference is the likes of the Pixies, System of a Down, PWEI, NEDS etc, but 10,000 maniacs are something very special, would highly recommend a listen, giv'um a good you maybe (will be) surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars a band who should have been huge., 29 April 2013
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (MP3 Download)
this band and album reminds me of my youth.if you like R.E.M circa Document ,Green era
then you will love this band and album.superb.Natalie merchant has the voice of an Angel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top ten album, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (MP3 Download)
This is easily one of my favourite albums..I've bought other maniacs albums and some Natalie merchant ones,all of which are fine but for me this is their standout album.really enjoy the variety of music combined with thoughtfully opinionated lyrics.trouble me (the single at the time ) may be the most obviously commercial of the tracks but is probably the least interesting lyrically..but it is probably the only singalong song on the album...if that's what u like.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remembered.........great American college rock....., 9 Dec 2011
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (Audio CD)
I first bought this album in 1989 on tape......obviously the tape wore out long ago and I stumbled upon a review for this long forgotten album and decided to rebuy it......

I am so glad that I did.....

It is as good as I remember and has held up to the test of time.This is probably due to Natalie Merchants great voice and lyrics......

So well worth buying. This will appeal to those who enjoy early REM (they were friends with Michael Stipe, who appears on an earlier album) and all those looking to listen to some good college indie/rock.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Blind Man's Zoo, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (Audio CD)
This and 'In My Tribe' are the Maniacs' finest. Natalie Merchant was always better in the confines of this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still charming - Blind Man's Zoo - 10000 Maniacs, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Blind Man's Zoo (MP3 Download)
Ms Merchant and friends put together another charming, jingly, querky and cheerful album. Showing some of their technical and lyrical talents along the way. Lucky enough to have seen them a few times, emerged in some strange state of bliss! Have to listen to the vinyl again soon, see how it compares.

Blind Man's Zoo
Blind Man's Zoo by 10,000 Maniacs (Audio CD - 1989)