5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing album

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing album, 3 Feb. 2006
D. Prieto "dandandan" (Bournemouth,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
Back when I was 12 the Oliver Stone film of The Doors came out and I heard Light My Fire on the radio. I had never really thought anything of "old" music up to that point - I was listening to modern chart stuff like U2 and Iron Maiden (this was 1991!). I decided to buy this Doors collection and it changed my musical tastes and outlook for ever. Now I am into loads of older music like Dylan, Pink Floyd, Hendrix etc(aswell as modern stuff of course I love techno) but it started with this album. I was too young to know much about being stoned and stuff but this album took me on such a head trip it made me want to find out what other strange music was out there. These songs made me want to explore mysticism and the whole hippy ethos, pretty mind expanding for a 12 year old. I remember being blown away by The End and When The Music's Over, rocking out to LA Woman and Roadhouse Blues, chilling out to The Crystal Ship. I became slightly obsessed with Jim Morrison and his legend, even doing a talk in music class about The Doors and Jim's antics. The Doors helped me break on through into a new type of music, I remember at the time trying to turn my friends over to The Doors when they were listening to C+C Music Factory/other poor early 90's stuff. I succeeded. The joy of "discovering" this music is what spurs me on now to always take risks and try out old obscure bands because it feels great to have a band you love but noone else knows or cares about.
This CD is the ultimate Doors best of and alongside The Doors In Concert is the essential Doors purchase for someone new to this awesome band.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD for nostalgia, 10 July 2013
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
The highlights are the best known songs - "Riders on the Storm, The End, Light My Fire, People Are Strange, Break On Through, Hello, I Love You", which is why I wanted this this CD. Great to have the full length version of "The End", sometimes on other compilations it has been edited a lot. Very pleased with previously owned product.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant cd, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
jim morrison and co really did make some excellent songs they envoked the sounds of the sixties. its a shame jim morrison died so young who knows what they would have written had he lived longer. i would recommend this cd to anybody who likes good song writing meaningful lyrics and amazing music a must

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvel at Manzarek's Keyboard Skills, 20 Jun. 2014
Mark Syder (Prescot, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
Mention The Doors and most people immediately think of Jim Morrison, but this collection bring home to me just how talented a keyboard player the late Ray Manzarek was.

The highlights on this disc are too numerous to mention, but suffice to say that most of them are highlights because of Ray Manzarek. Exceptions are Spanish Caravan, which stands out because of the guitar, and Roadhouse Blues, a good old-fashioned R&B song with harmonica.

The lengths of the songs vary tremendously: the shortest is People Are Strange at 2 minutes 9 seconds and the longest The End at 11 minutes 41 seconds. The End is the reason for four stars rather than five - it's simply too long. Contrast this with When The Music's Over at 10 minutes 55 seconds - despite being a similar length, there is enough variety within this song to keep it interesting all the way through.

It's noteworthy that The Doors were not dependent on a singer. Light My Fire contains a lengthy (but enjoyable) instrumental section in the middle. That may not sound very unusual, but it was in its day.

One more minor disappointment - Touch Me, my personal favourite Doors song, is only 3 minutes 10 seconds - that's a song I really could enjoy for 11 minutes!

An excellent collection for the casual Doors listener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their music is unbeatable, 28 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
What a fantastic group. Controversially, Jim Morrison was absoloutely fantastic. His lyrics have NEVER been matched ever. Songs like "Light my Fire" and "Break on Through" really give me a buzz. 30 odd years on they remain the greatest group ever to have lived. All of the classics and few extras are cramed into this 2 CD set. It's an absoloute bargain. They are was wonderful today as they were 30 years ago. Long live Jim Morrison.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is required in a collection, 16 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
Unless you are one of those die hard Jim fans (and I live with one) who even has recordings of his poetry in addition to all Doors albums, then apart from a couple of chunes which should be on this, but are not, this is essential in a CD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely can't believe just how good the doors can sound, 11 Jan. 2015
Corrinpowers (england) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Genuinely can't believe just how good the doors can sound,I have all the newest versions of the studio albums,but this tops them all.I should point out that I didn't bother getting the Amazon download as music this old needs help to sound crystal clear.I got the 16bit flac file download from 7digital.The amount of clarity,space and depth that has been given to the remastered songs is astounding.Each instrument sounds wonderful,as does Jim's voice.Even,ridicules as it may sound the pauses between instruments feeding into each other sound more poignant and drip with meaning and elegance.As a big Doors fan and perfectionist I can't overstate how good a job has been done on these recordings,however whether Amazon's lame bit rate does it as much justice I couldn't say.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is there to say about the Doors?, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
This has to be the best selection available. Not remastered or remixed to suit modern tastes, just unadulterated. A perfect CD

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
IL MEGLIO DEL MEGLIO DEL MEGLIO SE VI PIACCIONO FA AL CASO VOSTRO IL BEST CHE CONTIENE UN MONDO CHE NON TORNERA' PIU' GUSTATEVELO CON ATTENZIONE ALBUM CONSIGLIATO
IL ROBY

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the Best, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Best of The Doors (Audio CD)
Who can forget Jim and his songs ? These 2 CDs contains all the best songs of the Doors, from melodies to rock songs.
We'll always love you, Jim.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Best of The Doors
The Best of The Doors by The Doors (Audio CD - 1986)