Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 December 2002
Initially released back in 1983, this is a wonderful re-issue on DVD-Audio format for her Platinum selling, Grammy Award winning album. Linda proves herself to be the ideal interpreter of these classic songs, lushly orchestrated by Nelson Riddle. The album was followed by two others of similar material, each critically and commercially successful. The ideal accompaniment to a quiet romantic evening by the fireside with a loved one.
Additional features include several enhanced, remastered audio tracks (some only playable on latest DVD-Audio compatible players), photo gallery and the video single for the title track "What's New"
on 16 August 2011
Linda Ronstadt has always been an occasional dress wearer and can be seen in the video weaing different ones.
She sings the songs straight with orchestrations by the man who worked with Frank Sinatra and Rosemary Clooney
This is the first of 3 albums with Nelson Riddle and increased her stock of covering songs from all periods.
In fact Linda Ronstadt in spite of no solo hits in the U K is the future of music.
In time everyone will do covers
on 27 June 2012
I had this in LP form back in 1986 and it got lost along the way. Have been meaning to replace it over the years. It appears to have held its price too. Nelson Riddle always brings out the best in a performer. Linda Ronstadt at her very best. Am pleased the CD is in my collection.
on 27 February 2014
Ronstadt keeps it pretty straight on this album, there is none of the stylistics of Horne, Holliday or Fitzgerald. Her voice suits the material very well. And you can't go far wrong with Nelson Riddle as arranger. If you wanted to learn a 'standard' in a relatively straight form this is a good place to start. The only slight downside for me is the 80's production values - all lush reverbs and too much compression - but of course that's just my opinion.
Conclusion: Love it to bits, and have had it on vinyl since the 80's. I hear that there is another two albums that Linda Ronstadt has made of similar material, they are definitely on my list.
on 14 June 2011
Not this singer's usual metier but nevertheless, well done. Her diction is good, with a sweet tone and unlike many of today's pop singers, she actually sings IN TUNE ! All the time !!
on 1 December 2010
WHAT REALLY PLEASED ME ABOUT THE AVAILABILITY OF THIS CD WAS THAT I HAD THIS ON AN LP, AS WE NO LONGER HAVE A RECORD PLAYER(DOES ANYBODY ANYMORE?) AND REALLY LOVED THIS ALBUM, FINDING IT ON AMAZON WAS GREAT IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THAT "OLD" LP'S ARE STILL THERE FOR PURCHASE.
on 15 August 2015
I'll give 5 stars to Linda Rondstatd and 5 stars to Thomas Stabenow/Kenny Wheeler, but 1 star to Amazon for once again getting their wires crossed. Click on Linda's "What's New" album for the MP3 versiom and get Thomas Stabenow's MP3 of 'his' album "What's New". This isn't the first time I have come across this technical mishap. Indeed it has cost me in the past. What's new indeed! Both great CDs though. ---- Oh, and just found out that if you search on Thomas Stabenow and click on the MP3 version at £4.99 you get a compilation of several versions of the song What's New. So many wires! So many wires!
on 19 July 2013
I know I'm coming to this very late, and I know very little about Linda Ronstadt other than that she made her name as a country singer I believe. So I guess she must have surprised a lot of people with the quality of her performances on this lush, old-style big band recording. She sounds as if she's really trying to give it her best shot, and I get the feeling when she becomes more confident about doing this sort of thing her voice will relax a little and sound even better.
This is a great collaboration with the masterful Nelson Riddle, and a real treat.
on 30 June 2009
Buy this dvd audio / dolby digital the higher sound quality from dvd audio has to be experienced The production of Linda Ronstadt on this dvd is second to none
on 13 May 2013
I had this album in vinyl many years ago and having laid my record player to rest had to give up this lovely album. However, I was delighted to find it on site and now play it again all the time. Thank you Amazon and thank you to the supplier who performed perfectly. I would recommend them to all.