Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 January 2003
Until the release of this double version of this live recording from the U.S.A. this album was only available in the U.K. and Europe as a very inferior sounding single album that was cut to pieces.
But this version has been restored by the artist herself, using the HDCD process bring forth the depth of her supporting cast "Pat Metheny","Lyle Mays" and "Patorious" this jazz playing band adding another dimension to the songs that Joni presents here.
The wonderful sound of her voice is prefectly counter-pointed by this excellent band which make the songs their own in a live environment.
Some fans might not like the arrangements of the more folk based songs, but remember with an artist like Ms Mitcell she is always trying to push the enevlope, myself I just hang on and enjoy the wonderful ride! Please note that this is not the whole album yet as it appeared on vinyl, but still the only live "Joni Mitchell" album worth having on C.D.
Buy this and wonder at this wonderful music icon from Canada, truly jaw dropping stuff...
on 10 September 2013
I never knew this recording existed until a few weeks ago when I discovered it in a friend's vinyl collection and subsequently found it on CD. A live album featuring a super-group of musicians - Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker - with great live interpretations of some favourite old tracks from albums such as 'Hejira'. Joni's voice is terrific, as always, but check out her guitar work which is every bit as good as the studio recordings. Highly recommend this if you are a Joni fan.
The double vinyl of this CD was my first encounter with Joni Mitchell, and I was instantly captured. I've lain on the sofa with the lights out listening to this album on repeat for so many evenings.
This is Joni Mitchell at her best, supported by non other than Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny, with long time collaborator Lyle Mays. Getting Joni, Jaco and Pat all on the same album is something in itself unmissable.
Slightly disappointingly, two songs were cut from the double vinyl to fit onto this CD, including the loss of Big Yellow Taxi.
However, you still get exquisite passion on every track. For me, Amelia followed by Pat's Solo is the climax — of this album, and perhaps of her entire career. Joni Mitchell finds a parallel to her own life in Amelia Earhardt, and the lyrics are both personal and striking (the sound of flying engines - is a sound so wild and blue - it scrambles time and seasons - if it gets through to you - then your becomes a travelogue... and ... I guess I've never really loved - I guess that is the truth - I've spent my whole life - at icy altitudes...).
Following this straight through, we experience one of Pat Metheny's finest moments on guitar.
on 27 November 2002
Having been into Weather Report I can still clearly recall the showing on BBC 2 of about half an hour of the "Shadows and light" set many, many years ago.
I was in no way prepared for the effect that this short cut of television would have upon my record collection!
I had been prepared to see some sublime Bass playing, but had no idea of what Joni Mitchell or Pat Metheny were about.
I'll keep this short.
I discovered in Joni Mitchell a songwriter/lyricist that for once lived up to *my* elevated expectations, and in Pat Metheny possibly the most sensitive and emotional guitarist that it has been my privalage to have heard.
"Amelia"/"Pat's solo (also featuring Lyle Mays) is one of the most moving pieces that I have ever owned, and proved a springboard into the careers of two of the most gifted musicians I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.
This album is a masterpiece from beginning to end, and if only once, a justification of the dreaded licence fee!
ENJOY!
on 30 September 2000
I bought this when it came out as a record(vinyl) The opening is quite amusing jumping from shadows and light to why do fools fall in love and some obscure dialogue then blasting into in france they kiss on main street with some brilliant lead guitar and a guitar solo not on the studio version.Joni`s voice on edith and the kingpin is superb .Coyote remains one of my favourites(similar to don Juan`s reckless daughter not on this album)Goodbye pork pie hat and the dry cleaner from des moines are jazzed up to the hilt with joni`s voice simply stunning.Amelia ,pat`s solo and hejira are breathtaking.The remaining tracks must be listened to to be believed.This collection is a must for a true joni mitchell fan just to listen in awe of that wonderful voice complemented perfectly with musicians of the highest order.The album versions of these songs are taken to new heights which is a feat not all artists are capable.
on 18 March 2002
There is something masterful regarding "Shadows And Light" for many of the previously recorded studio versions of songs, seemed to fair better Live - such as the title track, and others like "Amelia" (the best track on this set), "Dreamland" and "Edith and the KingPin." Unfortunately omitted from the CD version of the Lp is "Don's Solo" which is a wonderful four minute drum-solo piece that evokes Joni's interest in primitive african/native drums. The omitted track originally appeared before "Dreamland" and provided an excellent edited intro to the well known Joni anthem. "Don's Solo" belted out a rhythm rarely heard outside of African/Native ceremonial dancing. Nevertheless, this CD is excellent, timely, haunting, crafted, and musicians tight together in delivery. It also shows how far Joni had come, leaving behind her folky roots and experimenting in jazz, rhythms, and lyrics. "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" is happy and fun. No risk here!
on 22 May 2015
Shame this is the AAD version when it has been digitally remastered. This was aslo the short version which some have previously moaned about. The three star rating is for the fact it is not the remastered version but it is not easy to tell this from the Amazon sales page. The music is amazing and I agree with all the wonderful comments by others.
on 7 February 2006
I first bought this album on double vinyl in 1984, the DJ of night train on RTE (Irish radio) were playing Refuge of the roads and talking about Shadows and light. I bought it the next day, and played it until I almost wore it through. This album captures the gorgeous intimacy of a small club, though I understand it was recorded live in quite a big location. The music is utterley romantic, and inspiring. If your a bass player like me, this is Jaco Pastorius as has already been said on here "at the top of his game". I adore the incredibly vocal textures of Jacos sound in this album, it also makes you want to move your playing up several nothches when you hear how fluid and complex his bass lines are.
Shadows and light is a great way to hear Jonis work, the studio albums are peices of history, they are national geographic in music, sensitive portraits to proud eras, and personalities. Its music that surrounds you like a lullably. A simple example is that when listening to the live album, apart from the ends of songs, or some openings, where the audience are applauding, there is total silence, as if the audience are mesmerised by what they are hearing, and dont dare make a sound just incase they miss somthing.
IF you buy Shadows and Light you wont be dissappointed!
on 11 December 2013
This album has been my favourite for 20 years, and I don't see that changing any day soon. From Joni's pitch perfect voice, to the best virtuoso band you've ever heard, don't miss this one!
on 26 May 2014
There isn't anything wrong with the sound quality on either the vinyl or CD copies, I have both. All I will add to the other comments made is 'This is Joni live at her best backed by the very finest'.