5.0 out of 5 stars Truly enigmatic songstress, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
Judy Collins excels here with a collection of high quality melodic and haunting songs, released on Elektra Records in 1975, reminding us of what a fabulous talent she is. Having seen her in Plymouth Theatre in the 70's it is one of music's mysteries why Judy Collins doesn't tower over the folk-rock scene, as her songwriting is as original as Joni Mitchell's and the voice is far warmer.
Commencing with Jimmy Webb's wonderful "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" inspired by Robert Heinlein's Sci-Fi novel, the backing musicians are on the top of their game.
"Angel Spread Your Wings" an uplifting Danny O'Keefe song soon follows.
"Houses" self penned by Judy is a stunning rich tapestry of both poetry and music combined into a soaring yet haunting song of unrequieted love, and is truly of great musical stature.
"The Lovin' of the Game" by Pat Garvey is up next & proceeds at quite a lick with slide guitars wailing away,fabulous.
"Song For Duke" again, self penned is a fitting tribute song about Duke Ellington and his funeral day, feel the rain on your stereo from New York almost.
"Send In The Clowns" surely is the best interpretation of this Stephen Sondheim song you will ever hear.
"Salt of the Earth" A Mick Jagger/Keith Richard 1968 song is almost a hymn with a great production.
"Brother Can You Spare A Dime" written by Jay Gorney in 1932 about the American Depression could have been written yesterday and is full of pathos for a lost way of life and a beautiful arrangement and interpretation by Judy.
"City of New Orleans" is a gorgeous train song written by Steve Goodman and boy does it rattle along with great musicianship from all of the cast
!I'll Be Seeing You" by Sammy Fain and Irving Kahl brought tears to my eyes with the most exquisite rendition.
"Pirate Ships" by Wendy Waldman has a beautiful ethereal delivery from Judy with sympathetic backing by Harp, Recorder, Flute, Accordion and Cello.
All too soon we are at the last song, the self penned "Born to the Breed" leaves you longing for more.
A Stellar collection of music people make this CD a truly memorable and classy experience.
*****Produced mainly by Arif Mardin with three songs by Jonathan Tunick at A & R Studios New York with Phil Ramone engineering a superb disc. David Geffen gets a special thank you, so here are the cast as they appear on this recording.
Judy Collins: Vocals, George Marge: English Horn/Flute,Bill Slapin: Alto Flute,Romeo Penque: Bass Flute,
Emanuel Vardi: Viola, Gene Orloff: Violin Ken Ascher: Electric Piano, Stephen Gadd:Drums,
Hugh McCracken, David Spinozza, Steve Burgh, Charlie Brown :All on Guitars,on Bass,Tony Levin: : Ralph McDonald:Percussion,Arthur Clarke, Seldon Powell, Tony Studd, Frank Wess, Randy Brecker, Garnett Brown: All on Horns
ARP Synthesizer Ken Bichel, Eric Weissberg on Guitars, Steel Guitar & Dobro, Pat Rebillot on Organ, Don Brooks:
Harmonica, Corky Hale on Harp, Dominic Cortes on Accordion and George RicciCello
Backing Vocals by Steve Goodman, Denver Collins, Cissy Houston, Sylvia Shemwell, Eunice Peterson, Eric Weissberg,
Full lyrics and sleeve notes make this a gem for everyone to discover.
THEY DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THIS ANYMORE.-God Bless Arif Mardin for making it all possible.
Jeff Reeves, 6th January 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother, Can You Spare A Dime ?, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
This is a lovely album and my only regret is not hearing it all sooner.Well chosen songs by a classy lady and a voice as fresh and pitch as clear as a beautiful cloudless sky.The string arrangements are second to none and ' Brother Can You Spare A Dime ' is exceptional.This is a sadly neglected Judy Collins album in my opinion but one of her best that should not be overlooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reaching down into your soul, 5 May 2003
David Newham (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
Judy Collins album Judith was capable of touching the innermost recesses of your mind and soul as it swept through the spiritual, emotional and poignant lyrics of some of the best writing and singing to be found on the seventies side of Eva Cassidy.
Piercing clarity, only equalled by the look from her eyes on the cover, this is really an album with few equals. It has never faded and will defy anyone's attempts to date it.
The best from one of the Greats!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
One of the best albums ever made. I used to listen to this often until my wonderful springer spaniel got hungry!! It has taken me a long time to get round to replacing it and am annoyed with myself for not doing it sooner. My family have already banned it to the car as they are fed up with me listening to it. A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
This is my favourite album of Judy Collins and contains a variety of songs illustrating Judy's virtuosity. Listening to it is a constant delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judith, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
Great for me reminds me of my younger days and tastes in music have changed but I still like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great albums of my youth, 10 Oct 2013
P. Orr "Philip Orr" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judith (MP3 Download)
I loved this when I had it on vinyl but had forgotten how much.

Had barely thought about it since I sold all my vinyl. Then recently I heard Albert Lee singing Jimmy Webb's beautiful "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" and remembered where I'd first heard the song. It is one of several stand-out tracks on Judith.

Judy Collins was at the height of her powers when this was recorded in 1975. It is still a cracking good listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judy Collins, 25 Sep 2013
jenny Cee (wimbledon london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
I bought this years and years ago as an LP and loved it then - it hasn't really aged - I still enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Judy Collins CD, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
This is me just replacing my well used album - Judy Collins is such an amazing singer and this is my favourite album - utterly fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Judith (MP3 Download)
Brings back my youth. Had this on vinyl back in the early 70s. No idea where it is now. Judy Collins voice is mesmerising and the tracks on this album raise the hairs on the back of my neck even after 40+ years, and I'm nearly 70 now. I'm so glad I found this again on Amazon.

Judith
Judith by Judy Collins (Audio CD - 1999)